Standoffs....Yuck

Discussion in 'Emerson Knives' started by MatthewSB, Apr 3, 2014.

1. RevDevil

RevDevil

Nov 9, 2009
    That seems to be the best way to go. I don't like the look of stand offs on these knives. I'll take the back spacer instead. Although, I might try one before I fully make up my mind, that would be the fairest thing to do afterall.

2. RiverRat84

RiverRat84 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 21, 2011
    That's a good perspective. I prefer the backspacer, but I like the spacers aswell. I haven't taken apart any models with the spacers yet as I haven't needed to, but disassembly and reassembly may tip my opinion a bit.

3. dr_fosg8

dr_fosg8

Mar 17, 2013
    I am new to emersons and recently owned a horseman with standoffs. Very stout knife but after I traded it for a 7 with a back spacer I really like the spacer better. Just seems to flow with the look of the knife better. Could just be my own misconception, but the backspacer seems to make the knife more solid feeling.

4. SOC_MRN_Leon

SOC_MRN_Leon

Mar 9, 2012
    Was just thinking about my other post and I decided that I would probably keep stock Emersons with backspacers and if going the customizing or "custom" route, i'd go with standoffs for the flair.

5. bwall85

bwall85

Mar 16, 2012
    I personally don't prefer the standoffs

6. MatthewSB

MatthewSB

Feb 1, 2013
    When you say "custom", do you mean do it yourself "custom" or a $1400 Emerson made Custom?

7. SOC_MRN_Leon

SOC_MRN_Leon

Mar 9, 2012
    Both modded productions and actual customs.

8. Carbuncle

Carbuncle

Oct 24, 2010
    Personally, I like the standoffs...

9. RevDevil

RevDevil

Nov 9, 2009
    I have a Commander BTS and it's friggin nice, stand offs are there and they work. I still love the back spacer though.

10. T Schloz

T Schloz

Oct 3, 2001
    Another fan of the back spacer here.

Tom

11. Akapennypincher

Akapennypincher

Sep 12, 2013
    I wish someone would please post a photo of identical model with Back Spacesr, and Standoff for comparison. As I would like to see the difference with my own two eyes, the understand better what people are discussing.

12. chris0827

chris0827

May 5, 2010
    Haven't bought any with standoffs... Yet.

Is it me though or does it seem like some of the knives have more standoffs than seems (visually) necessary? I'm not questioning the designers choice- actually I've always wished they came with standoffs! It seems to me though that they switched to the standoffs without relocating the locations of the backspacer model screw holes. I would think that with a standoff model they could reduce the amount of screws needed to hold the whole thing together?

13. gooeytek

gooeytek

Jul 12, 2011
    ^^ I feel the same way.

14. reapinItUP

reapinItUP Banned BANNED

Jun 15, 2013
    How many standoffs come on the CQC-7. Looks like theres 4 standoffs. Kind of excessive if you ask me.
    Does not look good with so many screws IMO. Would much prefer the backspacer and two body screws on each side.

15. TheseusTheDestroyer

TheseusTheDestroyer

Nov 4, 2012
    I gotta say, I own only one Emerson and I've had it for about a month now and I love the standoffs, it centers nicely and it's easy to clean, I actually just finished cleaning it off from those oranges I murdered in my back yard. At first I just rinsed it with some water under the sink (it dries faster due to the better air flow) but then I just took it apart just for the hell of it because I don't need any special tools and the screw drivers on my Leatherman are all I need. I just finished putting it back together. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397859023.292650.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397859164.413907.jpg

16. hotbossa

hotbossa

Mar 31, 2006
    Standoffs are a huge upgrade in my opinion. Easier to take the knife apart, knife is more rigid, centering seems more consistent, less likely the strip the handle screws in this design (not that it was a huge problem with the other design but it happened a few times to me over the 8+ years I have been carrying Emersons).

17. dzlvs8

dzlvs8 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Standoffs suck. They are ugly and they make the knife harder to take apart. Once you get one screw out of the standoff, the screw on the other side better be loose or else you will be clamping it down so it doesn't spin when you try to loosen the second screw.

...but basically the standoffs are ugly and add more parts that can be lost on the knife. I guarantee Emerson did it for ease of manufacturing. ...cuz it definitely wasn't for style. Yes it makes the knifeeasier to clean...as in, it takes 3 seconds less time to clean out stuff that causes a problem. The standoffs also let more crap get stuck in the knife.

I just got my new cqc7a in the mail today and within two hours of getting home I crafted and installed a ghost jade g10 backspacer.

18. jmorton10

jmorton10

Apr 5, 2014
    I agree 100%.

The only Emerson I own with standoffs is the Patriot. I love the knife in every way EXCEPT for the standoffs.....

~John

19. BladeCollector01

BladeCollector01

Feb 22, 2013
    I agree with everyone who says standoffs suck! On other knives yes but on Emersons no. I also think this was done more for ease of manufacturing than ease of cleaning/disassembling. Don't get me wrong I am a HUGE Emerson fan! Alway was and always will be. But I just don't like the look or feel of the standoffs. And it sucks because I would like to buy duplicates of some of the models I own but refuse to because of the standoffs. Bought a horseman that came with standoffs a couple weeks ago and immediately returned it. Just didn't have that classic Emerson feel:thumbdn:

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  20. EmersonREP

EmersonREP Moderator Moderator

May 11, 2014
    I understand your gripe and you have a right to your opinion but I don't understand how it's adding to more parts being lost. I'm guessing you mean when you take it apart to clean. IMHO it's easier to clean. My way of cleaning is definitely different than some of you. Most of the time I just run the knife under the faucet and let it dry. Done. If I do have to take it apart I find it much easier now. You only need to disassemble on the pivot side really. Going from a back spacer to standoffs was EKI's decision and a good one I think. There's less time in manufacturing that one piece of G10 which results in getting more knives out the door to you the customer. It's a win win for everyone.