1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Spyderco C230GPPBK Lil Native Black Blade & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Nov 16!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Nov 17 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

Starting fresh on blade making and blacksmithing (Pic Heavy)

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by AKNIVES, Aug 31, 2016.

1. AKNIVES

AKNIVES

Jan 13, 2014
    I briefly got into knife making a few years back and made this knife. The handle is was made out of a pair of black pants and a old car-hart jacket. I did the tempering with a DIY stove pipe forge and after the first one I got caught up in other projects and my old stove pipe forge was thrown out. The last few weeks I have created a new and improved forge and have already started my second blade.
    Old Forge:
    [​IMG]

First Knife:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Second Blade:
    [​IMG]

New Forge almost finished:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JTknives

JTknives Blade Heat Treating www.jarodtodd.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 11, 2006
    What kind of insulation is that?

3. Ghostman3

Ghostman3

Jan 12, 2016
    Did you just laminate the blue jean and carhartt with epoxy or fiberglass or what?

4. AKNIVES

AKNIVES

Jan 13, 2014
    its Rock wool Insulation from Menards, its can handle about 2200* temps, not as good as Koawool but its 15$ for a whole batt which is enough to make to 3 to 4 forges..

It was good old fashion fiberglass Resin like Bondo/3m brand you find at the auto-store or Amazon.com