1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 21 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Megatherium!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives Megatherium, Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, May 25; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Starting My First Batch of 80CrV2

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by redsquid2, Jun 26, 2018.

1. redsquid2

redsquid2 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 31, 2011
    [​IMG]

The top four are .110" . The bottom one is .128". I am excited, because I have never use this steel before.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  2. redsquid2

redsquid2 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 31, 2011
    Also an update on the Bora 7 purple belts: amazing how cool they run, even on my 2X42.

3. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    After oil quench. The clip point (my favorite of this batch) is not in this picture.

[​IMG]

4. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    Here is the clip point. The picture was taken a few days ago, and I might finish the handle today.

[​IMG]

5. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    These are all part of the same batch, 80CrV2, except for the second one from the right, which will be a D2 camp knife.

[​IMG]

6. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    My EDC pattern made in this batch of 80CrV2. Here it just needs a little cleanup and some more stropping on the blade, and it will be ready to ship out to my friend.

7. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    Here is the clip point with natural bubinga and G10 liners. I believe this shows one application of tung oil finish. It will have four to five applications when I am done.

8. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    The handles are mystery wood. I need to label my wood scales before I put them on the pile. The blades are 3".

[​IMG]

9. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    Also, I want somebody to say, "Hey, Andy, those are great knives! Keep up the good work!"

10. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    The main thing I see that you need to do is round the front of the scales more. The front is "stiff". That 90° angle will be both uncomfortable on a finger in some grips, and likely to chip.

Other than that - "Hey, Andy, those are great knives! Keep up the good work!"

11. A.McPherson

A.McPherson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 27, 2012
    For sure man! Keep it up, they’ll only get better with experience, and those are pretty nice!

12. Crocus88

Crocus88

Mar 5, 2019
    From a guy who's never yet made a knife, these look nice :)

I want to ask about the steel though. Being in EU, I can't get AISI steel. 80CrV2 should be quite forgiving for beginners, right? What did you think of it?

13. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    It was pretty easy, in terms of cutting, grinding and sanding. I am sure it came to me annealed, because I got it from Alpha. I do my grinding and sanding up to 400 grit before heat treatment.

I have never done my own heat treatment, so I cannot comment on that part of it.

14. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    And this might sound odd, but I was working with some D2 at about the same time, and I found it easier to work than the 80CrV2.