1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 33 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Boker Urban Trapper 732 , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Steel choices for a tomahawk.

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by rodriguez7, Feb 21, 2019.

1. rodriguez7

rodriguez7 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 1, 2009
    So, what I have going on, is I’m building a few tomahawks for some friends. I would like to use s7, but I also found a good price on 4142 steel. From what I can find, it’s basically 4140, just a tiny bump in carbon. But also oil hardening vs air hardening. If I went with 4142, what oil is recommended? I have parks 50 on hand, but I heard it’s a little fast. Thanks.

2. Kentucky

Kentucky KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Basic Member

Dec 13, 2008
    You forging or stock removal hawks?

3. rodriguez7

rodriguez7 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 1, 2009
    These will be stock removal

4. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 12, 2005
    A few folks use 4140 for hawks. At least one guy from Europe uses 4340. We used to have a source for flat stock moly free L6, but no longer. A couple of big makers have switched to 80CrV2.

5. ron_m80

ron_m80 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 1, 2009
    I went with 3/8ths 1075 from Aldo the first time. I'd not like to find out what it would be like to do it in "super steel" any time soon.

:D

rodriguez7 likes this.
  6. rodriguez7

Feb 1, 2009
    I like the 4140. I know James helm switched to 80crv2. But I know that steel isn’t as tough as 4140 or s7! L6 would be awesome in 1/4 inch. I was also thinking 8670, but I can’t find it in the thickness I want.

7. jdm61

Aug 12, 2005
    The thickest that I have seen 8670 is like .22. I think that James still uses 4140 for his hawks. He went to 80CrV2 for his knives. I was thinking of Winkler and RMJ.

Justin Schmidt likes this.
  8. rodriguez7

Feb 1, 2009
    Winkler changed to 80crv2, and I pm’d James the other night on Instagram, he said he’s switching to it too! And that’s correct on the 8670.

9. jdm61

Aug 12, 2005
    It certainly reduces the types of steel that they have to stock. I was told that RMJ switched in order to get better edge retention.

10. rodriguez7

Feb 1, 2009
    Crazy, considering I would think they wanted raw toughness for a breaching hawk, rather then edge retention.

11. jdm61

Aug 12, 2005
    Maybe, but a number of their hawks are't really what I would call a pure breaching tool. i am thinking of the Jenny Ren models and such.

12. rodriguez7

Feb 1, 2009
    That would make sense. I thought about trying that steel, but I haven’t had much luck with it.

Justin Schmidt likes this.