Stone Width

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by R.B.K., Oct 13, 2020.

1. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    Them Norton tri hones were the the Cadillac of sharpening systems back in the day. I still use one on ocassion and went so far as getting a set of arks to put in it but am to busy with using both sides of the stones with a holder, for now.

2. David Martin

David Martin Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    You spent some change on stones.
    I did too as for mine I got the coarse, med. and fine SiC plus the India. Then I just had to have a diamond stone that fit it. DM

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    garry3 and skyhorse like this.
  3. skyhorse

skyhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Which diamond did you get David? I’ve three of those DMT plates and really like them . The scratch pattern is more pronounced than natural stones it seems.

4. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    I got the DMT nickle plate that fit the 313 unit in x coarse grit. It is slightly more coarse than Nortons SiC coarse. Now I have 5 grits that I can mount in this Tri- hone. DM

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    skyhorse likes this.
  5. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    I don't think this has ever once happened to me by accident, and tilting the blade doesn't change the angle relative to the abrasive. A method of sharpening serrations on a standard bench stone it to deliberately tilt the knife to run the edge of the stone in and out of the serrations.

6. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    It was just the black ark that was expensive. Could very easily skip that stone for knifes.

7. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Yes, but not a bad one to have for a razor. DM

garry3 and jpm2 like this.
  8. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    What diamond stone did you get?

9. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Post 24 above ^. DM

10. skyhorse

skyhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Have you ever tried this Norton combo David ?
    • Medium Crystolon Side
    • Fine India Side
    • 11-1/2" x 2-1/2" x 1"
    [​IMG]

11. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Skyhorse, I don't have that combination stone. I do have one similar to that, the JUM-3. It is a coarse/ fine, SiC grit. It's the same size as that. It's a good stand alone stone. The fine grit is fine enough and the coarse will handle most work. Then I have one combo stone more coarse paired with a medium grit. I use these 2 more than all my other stones. My wife likes the finish from the India grit for her kitchen knives. DM

skyhorse likes this.
  12. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    I just sbarpened this 12" melon knife on my Norton Tri-hone. The fine India. Then I did a 9" carver on both this stone and Norton's 2x8" India. I can get these long kitchen knives tuned on the 2x8" stone. But the larger stone has a big advantage. DM
    20201104_202848.jpg

Tjstampa and Eli Chaps like this.