1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Benchmade 535 Bugout, Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 16 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

How To stop rust

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Mike Moutes, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Mike Moutes

Mike Moutes

Apr 16, 2019
    using 1095 steel with a 600 gt hand rubbed satin finish and getting some staining and rusting on knifes. What is the best way to stop that ?

2. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Use wd40 or other oil, while you are sanding.

3. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    Mineral oil.

4. Cosmodragoon

Cosmodragoon

Jan 1, 2019
    Do not use WD-40. There is a ton of bad but persistent folklore about WD-40. WD-40 literally stands for "Water Displacement, 40th formula". It is a mixture of various hydrocarbons including some kinds of oil. This allows it to stand in for oils in various applications, but almost never as well as an actual oil or a product specifically intended for that application. It is also mildly toxic and should not come into regular contact with your skin.

There are plenty of better, safer, and sometimes less expensive options. As you've already seen here and in the links above, a light coating of generic 100% mineral oil from the local pharmacy works pretty well. A 16oz bottle is like two bucks at Walmart and you can imagine how long that'll last. I've used it for years without incident, though the most corrosion-prone knife steels I carry have been 8Cr13Mov and D2.

Danketch and Mr.Wizard like this.
  5. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    Wipe it down with a rust preventive like BreakFree CLP or even plain old, non-toxic Vaseline.

6. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    A lot of the collectors in the Traditional Forum use Renaissance Wax Polish if they don't want their carbon steel blades to patina.

CableGirl and Mr.Wizard like this.
  7. Cosmodragoon

Cosmodragoon

Jan 1, 2019
    Renaissance Wax is a popular choice for protecting surfaces on traditional rifles and revolvers as well. It's handy because it works well on both wood and metal.

8. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 6, 2000
    WD 40 contains (guess what?) MINERAL OIL!
    And it is not particularly toxic, and it works pretty well for rust prevention.
    If you are talking about rusting while sanding-WD 40 is the way to go. Using nitrile gloves will keep the WD 40 and dirt off your hands.
    Renaissance Wax is designed for items that are not going to be handled. It's designed to go on easily and to buff off easily
    Neutral paste shoe polish is cheaper and protects much better. Plain old paste wax works well, too.

Eli Chaps likes this.
  9. Cosmodragoon

Cosmodragoon

Jan 1, 2019
    Hey! I'm used to seeing you on TFL!

WD-40 contains a whole bunch of stuff and the exact recipe is proprietary. It's about a quarter petroleum-based oil but that's not necessarily the same thing as "mineral oil" in the context used here. Some of the ingredients, such as 2-butoxyethanol, are definitely bad for your health. As you said, nitrile gloves can offer reasonable skin protection during use. However, when it comes to items that you'll be using or handling regularly and will be spending lots of time in your pocket, I'd rather not use it at all.

https://www.wd40company.com/files/pdf/3-in-one93265487.pdf

10. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    The OP did not say what the proposed use of the knife was. Toxicity was not part of the question.
    WD-40 is not particularly toxic if not taken internally and is commonly available. It was originally formulated to prevent rust, and will perform better than mineral oil at that specific function. There are other, better alternatives, depending on the exact needs. But, WD-40 will do what the OP wants done.

sharp thoughts likes this.
  11. Mike Moutes

Mike Moutes

Apr 16, 2019
    Thanks for all the info.....one of the knifes that I want to keep clean is a comp chopper I cut meat with. Left it in the sink for a little time and it got stained???????

12. Mike Moutes

Mike Moutes

Apr 16, 2019
    I don't mind some wd40 on my fingers but I don't want to eat it.

13. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard

Feb 28, 2015
    Try a cutting board wax with carnauba for knives that contact food.

GABaus likes this.
  14. wade7575

wade7575

Apr 3, 2013
    I agree with knarfeng use Renaissance Wax it's great I have some and use it n Maxmet and M4 blade's that I have and now problems at all with,if you ever want to remove it just use contact cement remover.

15. Phydeaux

Phydeaux

Mar 4, 2006
    I use a 1095 kitchen knife. I just make sure I wash it and dry it when I'm done, takes less than minute. Fortunately, the only other person who likes to use the knife is my son and he is very good about washing and drying it after use.

Ric

16. CableGirl

CableGirl

Aug 19, 2018
    +1 on the Renaissance Wax suggestion. As it is recommended for use on metal items that are touched often it is well suited for blades and even the handles. Other waxes like that in auto and the like can actually cause corrosion over time.

17. wade7575

wade7575

Apr 3, 2013
    I forgot to mention I like to apply 2 coat's to my blades as well don't know if it's needed I just to know the barrier is thick,I wait an hour or 2 before I do the next coat.

18. Uncle Timbo

Uncle Timbo Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 2005
    Why not go get yourself a big ol rare steak afterwards and get a head start on a patina to stop rust?
    Regarding the WD40, it's ok, but I find it too lightweight. It'll stop a squeaky door but it'll soon start squeaking again cause it's so lightweight.
    Prolly ok while you're sanding like many have said. I know @91bravo knows what he's talking about. Jonny, you still got a pic of my Infiweiler you cleaned up fir me?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    91bravo likes this.
  19. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    I'm sure I do somewhere! lol To be honest, if you're only sanding by hand, any old oil will do. It's just to keep the dust down and the patina from forming. I've used wd40, CLP, synthetic motor oil, bacon grease, cooking oil, etc.

MarriedTheMedic and Uncle Timbo like this.