1. Week 47 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Nov 23 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

Strange anvil find

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by johnnyxray, Aug 15, 2015.

1. johnnyxray

johnnyxray

Mar 22, 2015
    I bought an eighty pound Vulcan anvil the other day. It was a little rusty so I cleaned the top with some wd40 and 800 grit. Today I saw the wd40 filled in some lettering on the side opposite the Vulcan brand.
    It says "ADMIRAL ZUMWALT" and below that "KILL THEM ALL" .
    Wonder if I have an old navy anvil or one that was owned by a fan of the admiral. I cannot find anything online attributing that quote to him. I am pretty sure It is a part of the quote " Kill them all, and let God sort them out.
    I will post a pic as soon as I can get a decent one.

2. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Sounds like it was added by someone.

Vulcan and Fischer anvils were used as part of a ships forging kit for quite a while, so it could well have been on a ship at one time. Most of those have a marking on the side near the foot that says something like, "U.S. Bureau of Ships", and usually a record keeping number and date.

3. johnnyxray

johnnyxray

Mar 22, 2015
    Yep, on the front foot is a "USN" and on the back foot "A89".
    A really cool find! If only there was a way to find out its history.

4. DukeHarley

DukeHarley

Apr 11, 2014