Stripping help heh heh

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by grogimus, Feb 27, 2014.

1. grogimus

grogimus

Apr 27, 2012
    Hah. I crack me up. Anyways, I've already stripped and forced a patina on a couple Beckers but I threw my whole awesome crew together except for the Eskabar, bought a couple cans of Klean Strip Premium Stripper, and went to town. Unfortunately, this town has got nothing going on. My 4 and 9 were happy enough to shed their jeans (I know, they're hussies) and my 16 had already had the blade stripped down so they cleaned up easy but the 10 and 2 just will not give it up. (I stripped my 15's blade but I'm leaving the coating underneath the handle, for some reason it makes sense to me for food prep).

I've been putting them in a newspaper lined cardboard box, soaking them down, leaving them for 15 or so, then wiping them down with paper towels then a scotch brite type pad after scraping them with a razor blade. The 10 and 2 are not giving anything up, just fading a bit. I'm running dry on stripper and patience, anyone have any tips for getting these .. nevermind, I'll stop with the euphemisms. Any ideas from the pros here?

I tried out a set of micarta for the 9 and love it, have a shipment for some of the others on the way, I'd just like to have them ready to get their new pants taken.. dangit.. there I go again.

2. wildnewfie

wildnewfie

Feb 23, 2012
    You may have to use a piece of plastic to scrape off the coating. The chemical i used would not remove all fhe finish but once i began to scrape it , it all came off very easily.

Could also be due to the difference in old/new coatings. The knives that you have stripped, were the coatings and logos different from the ones that won't strip?

3. grogimus

grogimus

Apr 27, 2012
    Yeah, they're very different. I just want to look under their skirts, is that so wrong? This is not getting scraped, it's more like beaten off the blade. Thanks though :)

4. jonc123

jonc123

Dec 27, 2012
    You need to do this in a warm place; 70* and above. I place them in a small "pan" I make out of aluminum foil. Watch out for the pointy end of the knife as it will poke a hole through the foil. I let it soak for at least 30 minutes and usually do it twice. Plastic scraper only except for the holes....I take a small hex key and scrape the holes & interior cutouts.

I use the same stuff as you (Kleen Strip) in the can. It is the sprayable version which is still on the thick side. Knives turn out perfect.

5. JGON

JGON

Mar 12, 2010
    As jon mentioned above, I've had much better luck stripping in summer (don't go there) than in winter. When the temp in my garage is too cold, it took much longer and was somewhat maddening. Make sure it is a warm area that is well ventilated. I'm guessing the Iowa winters aren't helping your cause. Also, a plastic spackle tool is my favorite tool for removing the coating once the stripping agent works it's magic.

Also, in case you were curious, some cool patinas have been formed using mustard, and even a mixture of mustard with hot sauce. I find that a light coating of mustard works best, as the areas with a thick covering will have very little patina. The areas with a thin covering of mustard will be able to "breathe" more and that's important because a patina is basically a forced oxidation of the surface metal of the knife. I also have seen some amazing looking patina's made with citrus fruit, but I haven't tried that myself.

JGON

6. rg02

rg02 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2012
    It's all about temp and let it soak for a couple hours. I bought the orange paint stripped from Home Depot. Sprayed in garage and then brought in the house in a foil food tray and let sit for a couple hours. Then a stiff wire brush and SS scrubbie pad worked like a charm. Good luck!

7. Krav

Krav Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 6, 2013
    I did my bk 9 in my garage, it was about 45 degrees. I found that following the instructions on the stripper was the key. I sprayed it down, waited couple hours and , nothing would come off. I read the can,it said, let sit for 15 minutes then strip.
    I used scotch brite, and it came off with some elbow grease.

8. Jonny1280

Jonny1280 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Heat works.
    I spray mine, hang it above a pan with a ziptie, and then the secret....turn on a halogen lamp 4"-8" away.
    Presto!!!
    Watch in amazement as the coating bubbles off and tries to shed it's skin like a rattlesnake!
    A quick scrape with a razor blade...
    Booyeah!!!
    Gaze in wonderment and your freshly stripped prized Becker.

Once in awhile I've needed to reapply stripper. Rarely though.
    By the way... The entire process takes me 15 minutes tops.

9. Tdhurl1103

Tdhurl1103

Dec 6, 2012
    Like Jon and other from above have mentioned, I've seen other threads where people placed the pan next to a portable heater blowing warm air into the pan to warm it up. I have not tried this, so proceed with caution.

10. tobiism

tobiism

Jun 28, 2013
    The stripper evaporates and dries up fast if left out in the open. Spray both sides of the blade and wrap it up. The stripper is much more effective that way.