1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

styles of khukuri and knife you would like to see more of

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Gehazi, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Scara

Scara

Jun 21, 2014
    You know Taco, you might consider custom ordering one of those. If the Kami like it and the community expresses interest it could become a regular DOTD item.

2. moparsbob

moparsbob Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2014
    Philllll, you are so cruel!

3. DarthTaco123

DarthTaco123

Mar 28, 2013
    Been debating it. I can't find them anywhere domestic-side. I could fire my forge up and attempt to hammer something out like it, I have 3/8" 5160 from an old hayer's frame. It wouldn't be pretty, but I wouldn't be afraid of beating on it.

4. philllll

philllll Gold Member Gold Member

May 23, 2013
    Go for it!!!!

5. DarthTaco123

DarthTaco123

Mar 28, 2013
    It need's to stop snowing first! I don't have one of those fancy pants shops, I have a bubba-d together coal forge, anvil, and hammers. Nothing so fancy as ap lace to do it out of the cold.

6. moparsbob

May 6, 2014
    Hi Philllll, What are the specs on this Bura Bowie, as far as length, width of the blade, and weight? And I'm curious - in some old threads I remember reading that some of the Bura Foxy Follys had such thin walls at the bottom of the fullers, that the blade would ring like a bell when struck - does this one ring like that?

7. Bawanna

Bawanna Moderator Moderator

Dec 19, 2012
    Ow, kicked in the teeth while a mans down. That's cruel dude!

8. philllll

May 23, 2013
    Sorry Bawanna :D

Bob, oh yes, this one rings beautifully. I will go take some measurements.

9. philllll

May 23, 2013
    Overall length 17.5"
    Handle length 5"
    Blade 12.5" long x 3" at the widest point x 5/16" thick
    The fullers are deep and estimate it's around 3/16" thick in the fullers.
    Weight 25.8 ounces

I also have one made by Vim that has similar dimensions, but the handle is longer and the fullers aren't quite as deep. It rings, too, but not as well.

10. moparsbob

May 6, 2014
    Thanks for the information, Phillll. I hope someday to be able to add one of these to my collection. if you ever decide to part with one, please let me (or Bawanna) know!

11. philllll

May 23, 2013
    Hahaha I think Broken-Hearted Bawanna gets first dibs!

12. danelo

danelo

Sep 8, 2014
    I gotta agree with you...The Cherokee Rose IS a masterpiece.. My Mother was mostly Cherokee...Yangdu set me up with a BEAUTIFUL CR...The real feeling was opening the triangle box and holding it in my hand...Could not ask for a better bowie style knife...A masterpiece for sure..

13. thefox0602

thefox0602

May 13, 2014
    And here I was thinking about having a baby Cherokee Rose made. (7" blade, 5" handle)

Back to the drawing board.

14. Gehazi

Gehazi

Jun 30, 2013
    I think a baby cherokee rose would not violate the parameters of changing the design, only the size :D-- very doable and not disrespectful in my mind

15. Bawanna

Dec 19, 2012
    I'd want one for sure! I'd like it about 8" overall, a micro Cherokee Rose!3 1/2"-4" blade and 4 1/2 to 5" handle. Guess to make the math work we'll have to go about 9 or 9 1/2"?

And make the swedge false, not sharp. We can't have that here in Washington, guess they finger we might poke ourselves in the eye or something.

16. cul4u01

cul4u01 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 5, 2012
    CA don't like sharpened swedges, but since when did I follow the rules?

17. Bawanna

Dec 19, 2012
    California don't like much of anything, surprised they allow chopsticks, they are so pointed.

A false swedge or no swedge at all would be fine by me. I really don't need it anyhow. Keep the overall shape, just scale it down.

If this was to happen I will be like Bookie rolling around like a Mutant Ninja Turtle, not giving up my micro bowie or my hunter. Good thing I have plenty of belt to carry all of it.

18. Scara

Scara

Jun 21, 2014
    I could go for a small Cherokee Rose, perhaps varying lengths.

19. davidf99

davidf99 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 27, 2011
    If you don't want a sharpened swedge it's easy to file it down to a false swedge or no swedge at all. Or keep it at home and carry one of the other dozen or two knives in your collection. Most HI knives are illegal to carry in many places with or without a sharpened swedge. Easier to carry a baseball bat, and a mitt in case anyone questions your intentions.

20. ndoghouse

ndoghouse Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Bowies are not legal in Texas. Can you believe that? Technically you have to register a potato gun with the BATFE and have a special license to build them as well. It fits the definition of a firearm:rolleyes:
    We need a full line of Micros! 12" Falcata:eek: