1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

styles of khukuri and knife you would like to see more of

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Gehazi, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Scara

Scara

Jun 21, 2014
    Though I think the AK Bowie can slide under that law. Generally a Bowie is defined as a large knife with a clip-point and a crossguard. So the Cherokee Rose qualifies, but I think the lack of crossguard on the AK bowie lets it slide.

2. J W Bensinger

J W Bensinger

Mar 26, 2009
    Pretty much anything will qualify as a "dirk", "bowie" or "dangerous weapon" if they want it to badly enough.

3. Scara

Scara

Jun 21, 2014
    True, especially because dirk, bowie and dagger aren't actually defined in the law. It's all case law, at least in Texas.

4. Gehazi

Gehazi

Jun 30, 2013
    well at least you can carry whatever you want on your own land, pretty much the best reason to own land is so you can do what you want most of the time. I think they should just execute anyone who uses a weapon in any crime, then let everyone else carry anything they want all the time :D because life is better when you have a sword.

5. ndoghouse

ndoghouse Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2010
    That may be as defined by another state but Texas dont define a Bowie. They go through a few definitions of some objects but never a Bowie. I wouldnt test it but I feel safe about calling it a "Nepali Farm utility knife".

PENAL CODE
    TITLE 10. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC HEALTH, SAFETY, AND MORALS
    CHAPTER 46. WEAPONS

(6) "Illegal knife" means a:
    (A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;...(B)(C)(D)

(D) bowie knife;

(E) sword; or
    (F) spear.
    (7) "Knife" means any bladed hand instrument that is capable of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by cutting or stabbing a person with the instrument.
    (8) "Knuckles" means any instrument that ...
    (9) "Machine gun" means any firearm that is
    (10) "Short-barrel firearm" means a rifle ...
    (11) "Switchblade knife" means any knife that ha
    (12) "Armor-piercing ammunition" means handgun ammunition that is designed primarily for the purpose of penetrating metal or body armor and to be used principally in pistols and revolvers.
    . (17) "Tire deflation device"
    Also an interesting note. Texas does not distinguish between concealed carry and open carry. Blade length 5 1/2 inches and thats it.

6. Scara

Scara

Jun 21, 2014
    Like I said later, the bowie knife isn't defined in the actual law, but in general when bowie knife is defined, it has those three features. Good to know that Texas has a 5.5" restriction. I guess I should have brought a smaller fixed blade for the holidays. I feel naked without my Fairbairn-Sykes. Though that may also be because it's not cold enough for me to wear something that can hide it.

7. J W Bensinger

J W Bensinger

Mar 26, 2009
    I love Vermont and New Hampshire. NH has no knife restrictions whatsoever, and most of Vt law enforcement has an "If you're not being an idiot, I'm not going to worry about it" approach.
    Only time I saw a Vt cop stop somebody for a blade was a 2 girls riding bicycles with (factory dull edged) machetes stuck through their belts, with no sheaths-all he said was "if you fall off the bike with that it's not gonna be pretty".

8. dave9969

dave9969

Jun 26, 2011
    get a concealed carry license and it don't
    matter how big the blade is!
    at least in Florida, as my conceal permit says weapon not gun
    so its legal for me to carry pretty much anything other than full auto
    with the permit I have and when cops ask me about the kukri in my truck
    I usually tell them its just a machetti for yard work or a cane knife both
    are sold here at local hardware stores

9. ndoghouse

ndoghouse Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2010
    They recently made switch blades legal in TX. What possessed them to touch the laws and legalize one blade while nothing else is beyond me? My wife lived in NH before we married. Maybe I should take her back to the White Mountains. Id actually do it but she cant take the cold anymore:rolleyes:
    Concealed carry here dont have anything to do with knives. Im licensed for Semi Auto which is inclusive of every other type other than Full Auto but knives are not inclusive. I can keep a blade in my vehicle (over the legal carry limit) only if its going to the repair shop or to the job site. You cant just leave a machete in the car here for everyday what if's. I do keep a hacksaw in my car though. Never know when you'll come across a ten point roadkill:D