1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Swamp Rat and SYKCO Chat

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by Uncle Timbo, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    I do like the looks of that BME2. That's one I could talk myself into without much trouble.

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  2. elof_alv

elof_alv Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2009
    I missed out because of temporarily anorexic bank account when the came out, but I’ll track one down eventually.

The original ergo handles are a bit too wide for my hands, but I managed to get my hands on ZT BMe that has been modded by the shop and I really like how nimble it is.
    It got promoted to my on the job brush/brunch trimmer and cardboard destroyer.
    [​IMG]
    The Ergo gen2 handles fit my hand a lot better. They’re not as wide, but thicker and really quite comfortable.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    Uncle Timbo and inkynate like this.
  3. 2TONYB

2TONYB Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 21, 2005
    [​IMG]

4. 2TONYB

Sep 21, 2005
    [​IMG]

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  5. Uncle Timbo

Uncle Timbo Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 2005
    Tony, that sure is a sweet blade and it looks like she's been shown some love to boot!

6. Uncle Timbo

Nov 23, 2005
    As many of you remember, I think this thread originally started out life as an INFIWEILER Death type Chant.
    Lo and behold...wishes came true!!!

Well, I'm a thinking the world or the Swamp needs a Busse/Swamp Rat type Kephart. Whoa doggies!

7. bikerector

bikerector Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 16, 2016
    I second that motion. For all intents and purposes, take the RMD size and handle and slap a chopweiler blade shape on it. Maybe the tip come down a little but it looks pretty midline in the photos I see (I don't have one yet).

Honestly, after having the SW rucki and seeing the convex grind on that, I would almost hope to get a convexed Kephart in there, maybe even the double convex of the original. But, let the swamp people design it and I'm likely to get one either way. I'm really not sure if I would want this one in infi or SR-101, I dig both for different reasons.

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  8. 2TONYB

Sep 21, 2005
    Yes, it does get love on a regular basis. The 1311 is the ultimate kindling processor.

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  9. bikerector

Nov 16, 2016
    The 1311 is one of best knives that came through the scrapyard, IMO. It's not excessively thick and I think it's just a great knife and design for getting work done. I'm not dogging on the rest of them, I just think the 1311 is something special. I wouldn't trade my ratweiler for one, but it's a pretty close 2nd.

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  10. bikerector

Nov 16, 2016
    I was kind of thinking through the knives that get used the most, and I'm in even more support of this.

Big, portable machete: 1311
    All-around big knife for shelter building and chopping: infiweiler
    "bushcraft" and game processing: Swamphart

Maybe give or take a B&T knife or a folder (trapper or moose patterns for me... or a SAK).

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    Uncle Timbo likes this.
  11. Uncle Timbo

Nov 23, 2005
    BE- I like the way you think. I'd be onboard for those!

12. elof_alv

Mar 13, 2009
    Guess Bog Dog (both in D2 & SR101) and Dog Skinner (D2) are probably the closest to a Kephart blade.

Sorry, no pics, I haven't located mine yet after the move.

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  13. Uncle Timbo

Nov 23, 2005
    Thanks elof, isn't it in one of those boxes? :confused:

14. elof_alv

Mar 13, 2009
    They're both in the steel box with (almost all the) 4 inch of blade and up knives... Not organised enough yet to dig the box out from under other boxes... and it's too heavy to carry it up the stairs to my office/cave...

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  15. Uncle Timbo

Nov 23, 2005
    Good things come to those who wait. Would love to see them one of these weeks.

16. bikerector

Nov 16, 2016
    Word in dog house is there's a new SYKCO set to be revealed next Wednesday. With all the releases this year, will we see another Swamp Rat too?

Pretty interested to see what they have coming out. The descriptions make it sound interesting but I haven't been able to get a spy shot yet.

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  17. bikerector

Nov 16, 2016
    I know Uncle T, this is what I get for not bringing the infiweiler along for a trail ride after a week of rain and wind. I'll have to rectify this tomorrow. I can't tackle the big one with it but the 2-3 small guys it took down with it are really the ones that suck, since the tree-tops are where I came in from and dragging a 35# fat bike through tree tops is unpleasant. This dead tree feel right down the center of a 3-way intersection, it's going to be an interesting cleanup since we can't just cut a spot down the trail or do a slight re-route. Someone may need to hike in a big saw and a prybar to get it moved.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  18. Uncle Timbo

Nov 23, 2005
    That Infiweiler girl is hungry for that wood. She will tear it up like she was at a smorgasbord. Nom, nom, nom.
    You shoulda turned fat bike around and got Fatweiler. :)

bikerector likes this.
  19. bikerector

Nov 16, 2016
    Did a little wild flower hunting in the swamp for Momma's day. Made sense to bring a new friend along to get dirty.

[​IMG]

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  20. Uncle Timbo

Nov 23, 2005
    BE, I'm sure Mom was happy but do you think you were over-tooled?
    I do love that orange.