1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Recommendation? Swiss Army Knife: Which One?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Mitch Taldison, May 20, 2019.

1. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    But the OP isn't really looking for the best...he is looking for "THE quintessential and most classic SAK available still".

I think we are missing his point.

He is not looking for a set of tools to use, he is looking for a "ideal SAK specimen" for his collection.

The "Platonic ideal SAK," as it were.

Lee D, hexenjager and Mitch Taldison like this.
  2. Swampdog

Swampdog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Another vote for the Alox Farmer.

3. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    I love the Alox Farmer.

I just dont think it is what people "see" when they hear "Swiss Army Knife."

Lee D likes this.
  4. cchu518

cchu518 Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Sadly I'd have to go with the pocket friendly SAK SD or the one with the fork and spoon although I haven't seen one of those latter SAKs in ages.

marcinek likes this.
  5. katanas

katanas

Jan 6, 2012
    Actually, although my post #8 was tongue-in-cheek, the SAKWiki site would give the OP a lot of info on what SAKs came out when, sales figures, features, etc. I suggest giving it a good look. :thumbsup: :cool:

jmh33 likes this.
  6. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    [​IMG]
    This was the first one; designed as a rifleman's tool. Is that classic enough? Victorinox made some repros.

Zieg

Lee D, jmh33 and Grateful like this.
  7. hexenjager

hexenjager Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2016
    This. As I read it, I don't think that the op is necessarily asking for suggestions on the most popular or practical edc SAK, I took it as being what most non SAK enthusiast people picture when they think of one. My suggestion for that would be the Ranger.

SAK_1_3763__S1.jpg
    Pic from Victorinox's site.

ETA- As a side note, my Vic Ranger and I are in a very much non-platonic relationship, so it also works well if you decide you want to be more than just casual acquaintances. ;)

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    marcinek likes this.
  8. Chacap

Chacap

Dec 2, 2017
    The most classic and versatile in 91 mm: the Huntsman, then the "swisschamp" big but it has all the tools (photos Victorinox)

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. harronek

harronek

Nov 29, 2013
    If carrying only a SAK then a Farmer is my choice.

[​IMG]

But the majority of the time its a Cadet in combo with a one handed opener .

[​IMG]

Grateful, jmh33 and sabre cat like this.
  10. K.O.D.

K.O.D. Banned Platinum Member

Aug 21, 2013
    I like the tinker series. I have two supers.

11. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    This.

On paper the true classic has to be the Soldier model. They are called “Swiss Army knife” for a reason. However the Pioneer is the same thing in street clothes.

Add a saw and you have the Farmer. Shrink the Pioneer and you have the Cadet.

Any of these are hard to beat but, if you must try, the Spartan and Recruit are good places to start.

Grateful and Pomsbz like this.
  12. specgrade

specgrade Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Not sure what model I have, but it has a built-in flashlight. My parents bought it in Switzerland several years ago. Trying to find AAAA batteries has been a challenge. I did open up a 9v and it had six in it. Problem is they tend to leak after a few months.

DSCN0902.JPG

13. irons

irons

Oct 19, 2018
    I'd go with a Huntsman. Plenty of tools, one of the most iconic, and always available in classic red (see photo above from Chacap). It's not too big to fit in the pocket if you do decide to carry it.

If you'd like something a bit slimmer the Spartan is a decent choice.

14. Hotshot10

Hotshot10 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2012
    I have carried a Hiker every day for three years. I love it. I find myself using the screwdrivers more than the blades, I must admit.

jmh33 likes this.
  15. thecigarguy

thecigarguy Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    I think the Swiss champ is the most iconic or one might say the quintessential Swiss Army knife. Just one opinion, but I think this is the model that is most etched into peoples’s minds.

A.L. and marcinek like this.
  16. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    Camper is a great model. Like a Farmer but with an extra small blade and cheaper. The corkscrew is great for undoing knots in the field. Spartan/Tinker is a great starter model. The Compact is a great urban carry all rounder.

You're going to need to play with some models. I won't carry anything over a 3 layer and prefer a single layer. I like 91/93mm for the blade size. If you head over to SAKWIKI you can see lists of all the tools at specific sizes and number of layers. Makes working out what you want a whole lot easier when you filter based on those two criteria.

17. sonarsessions

sonarsessions Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 1, 2016
    I would recommend a Spartan. I keep one in my left pocket every day and it sees more work than my EDC knives - in fact, it's also easier on the eyes of people who are not knife-friendly like in office settings.

Grateful and Chacap like this.
  18. Lee D

Lee D Basic Member Basic Member

May 27, 2013
    Sorry, I skimmed thru the thread, so if I’m parroting another member’s question, I apologize.

Do you happen to remember the models you had or saw when you were younger?...or possibly the tools they were equipped with?