Swiss Army Knives from Antarctica

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by hackmanfolder, Feb 18, 2020.

1. hackmanfolder

hackmanfolder

Sep 19, 2009
    Hi,
    I have two Swiss Army Knives I purchased at Scott Base in Antarctica in 1997.
    1) Nomad with locking blade and green handle.
    2) Climber in standard red.
    They are new in box and have SCOTT BASE ANTARCTICA with a small Penguin logo etched deep in the plastic with white lettering. I also have a cash register receipt from Scott Base showing the date and amount in NZ Dollars for each. They only had a few of them for sale as Scott Base was very small and the store was tiny. Scott Base is a research station and these were for staff to purchase and not a tourist item as there were no tourists there. I have never seen one since despite looking on the internet for years.
    My question is: Should I use these or keep them in pristine condition? Are they worth anything or are they just a regular knife with a logo on them? Any opinions appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  2. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    I think I’d keep them and perhaps display them with a photo of you on the continent. It makes for a great reminder of your time there. I’d love to see some photos if you can post them.

redsparrow, jeepin, The Zieg and 5 others like this.
  3. hackmanfolder

hackmanfolder

Sep 19, 2009
    I'll try and figure out how to post some pictures later in the week.

4. jmh33

jmh33 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Nice!!! :thumbsup: Pics would be KOOL!!! :cool:
    John

5. hackmanfolder

hackmanfolder

Sep 19, 2009
    [​IMG] photo below....

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  6. 315

Dec 2, 2017
    If you feel like posting your email on my profile page, I’ll contact you and you could send me some pictures. I’d be happy to post them for you.

paulhilborn likes this.
  7. Old Biker

Old Biker

Sep 25, 2016
    [​IMG]

bikerector, Grateful, 315 and 3 others like this.
  8. comis

comis Gold Member Gold Member

May 17, 2013
    Use or collect them as you see fit. Personally, I'd keep it since it is just a cool momento for tales, even selling it with multiple to its original price will not compare to the memories that come with the piece.

9. hackmanfolder

hackmanfolder

Sep 19, 2009
    That's my knife in picture. Thank you for posting it. The other one is a Climber that has the exact same logo. I've had them for 23 years. Getting old.....

10. hackmanfolder

hackmanfolder

Sep 19, 2009
    Thanks but a member managed to post it already

11. 315

Dec 2, 2017
    It looks good! I’d keep it like that just because it’s so unique. If you keep in touch with anybody you spent time there with, you should reach out and see if they ever purchased any of them.

12. hackmanfolder

hackmanfolder

Sep 19, 2009
    We were stationed at the USA base at McMurdo. A few of us got invited to Scott Base to have a few beers at the tiny little bar they had. Scott Base is tiny compared to the USA base a few miles away. I saw the gift shop and the Kiwi guy tending bar opened it up to sell me some souveniers. I know of only one other guy who bought one from my group and he bought the Nomad. They were expensive for the time....$45 NZ dollars which was about $35 USD in 1997. I bought the Nomad and the Climber....those were the only 2 versions they had available. They only had a dozen or so total if memory serves me correct.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  13. Old Biker

Old Biker

Sep 25, 2016
    I right click on the IMG, where you had tried to post the photo, and selected view image, from the drop down list. Sometime this shows me the image when someone is having trouble posting it. This time it opened a onedrive page with your photo on it. So I right clicked on the photo and selected copy image location. I then clicked the image icon in this threads reply area, and pasted that URL there. Unfortunately your picture seems to have expired from the onedrive page, so it no longer shows. Most on here prefer image guru for their hosting site. You might give that a try if you ever decide you want to post a picture again.

O.B.

14. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    This.

Zieg