Sword ID Help?

Discussion in 'Sword Discussion' started by ols67, Feb 14, 2021.

1. ols67

ols67

May 26, 2011
    Ladies and Gents,

Hello! I acquired an elderly gentlemen’s antique knife and bayonet collection yesterday, and he said... “Matt will you sell these swords for me, and whatever you get we will split 50/50. I don’t know what they are or what they are worth!”

I replied that I didn’t either, and he said, “I don’t use the internet, I don’t know anyone, and you are better able to sell these than I am.” I couldn’t argue that point, and so I agreed to take on the task. I am researching what these are, when they were made, and the approximate value.

I did a few hours of research now, and here is what I think these might be:

1. Perhaps some sort of pre-civil war US sword that was made by the German company Schnitzler & Kirschbaum. The bluing is pretty neat and goes from a navy color to an iridescent blue in the right light.

2. I think this might be a Chinese Dao from sometime in the 1800s? It is a big beast, and the bell guard is very loose.

3. I think this is a Persian Shamshir from the 1700s to 1800s? I have the handle end cap that fell/broke off.

At any rate, I am a bit lost in the sauce on these, and wanted to ask for help. Any info is appreciated!

Thanks!

Vr

Matt

2. Triton

Triton Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 8, 2000
    I think we are going to need pictures to have any chance of helping you out..

scarysamcary likes this.
  3. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    You don't have membership status to ask about value or talk about selling.

Bigfattyt likes this.