Synthetic Ivory Blocks

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by i4Marc, Feb 12, 2020.

1. i4Marc

i4Marc

Oct 19, 2011
    Looking for linen or paper micarta, G10, Elforyn, etc. in thicknesses 1" or better. I looked on the Alpha website. They have ivory G10 blocks but the color sample looks more like putty/beige than ivory. Anybody have experience with ivory G10 from Alpha? Any other sources?

Scaniaman likes this.
  2. Stromberg Knives

Stromberg Knives strombergknives.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 3, 2015
  3. timos-

timos- KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 22, 2012
    I use the alternate ivory from masecraft. Its beautiful stuff, I am a little concerned with its durability and plan to test it in a pro setting but have not done so yet. Im sure it would crack and break if dropped on concrete or soemthign like that.

4. kuraki

kuraki Fimbulvetr Knifeworks

Jun 17, 2016
    Here is ivory G10 from AKS finished Marc.

[​IMG]

5. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 6, 2000
    The Masecraft ivory really looks like ivory- unlike Micarta or G10.

6. i4Marc

i4Marc

Oct 19, 2011
    Thanks guys!

Bill, Tim has concerns about the durability of the Masecraft ivory. Can you speak to that point from your experience?

7. kuraki

Jun 17, 2016
    It's a little chippy in drilling but I have one folder out there with masecraft faux ivory scales that has seemed to hold up well. I much prefer working with G10.

8. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 6, 2000
    The Masecraft stuff is both soft and brittle- but it's the only good option if you want something that looks like ivory.

9. i4Marc

i4Marc

Oct 19, 2011
    Thanks gentlemen.

10. Storm W

Storm W KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 19, 2019
    Does Atlas billards have anything

11. i4Marc

i4Marc

Oct 19, 2011
    Atlas has Elforyn which looks good but is pricey. They don't list a size I can use but it might be worth a call. It may be similar to the Masecraft stuff because in Atlas' description they say it can be chippy.

12. Hengelo_77

Hengelo_77 Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 2, 2006
  13. kuraki

Jun 17, 2016
    I guess I spoke too soon about that folder with masecraft ivory holding up well.

[​IMG]

14. i4Marc

i4Marc

Oct 19, 2011
    When did that happen, John? Maybe G10 is the way to go?

15. kuraki

Jun 17, 2016
    Last night apparently. I don't know what he did with it, if he dropped it or what.

16. Cole2525

Cole2525

Feb 10, 2013
    Elforyn Supertusk is the most convincing ivory substitute I've seen. It's quite tough too. The only real drawback is that it's not as hard or dense as real ivory.

17. Richard338

Richard338 Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2005
    I got some of the "Elforyn white block - no grain" from Atlas Billiard in 2017. I see that they still sell it.
    To me it was unrealistically bright white (although it got dirty easily), and softer than anything else I have used in a handle.
    I doubt I would buy it again, and it is not going to be confused for the real Mammoth ivory I got from Mark Knapp.
    Looking at the website today, if I was tempted by anything, it would be the Elforyn Supertusk as mentioned by Cole2525.
    https://www.cuestik.com/store/product.asp?DEPARTMENT_ID=505&ITEM_ID=6565

18. ashwinearl

ashwinearl KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 9, 2006
    Here is alternative ivory from Masecraft and Ivory G10 from Alpha Knife Supply
    Alternative ivory polishes nice but it is soft and like soap more than synthetic. In this picture I had the pin too close to the edge and it cracked when peening.

Ivory G10 is like any of the light colored G10s (orange, yellow, ..) and stains easily but cleans easily.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. AVigil

AVigil Adam Vigil knifemaker working the grind Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Platinum Member

Feb 17, 2009
    That is not why it cracked.

You needed a deeper taper in that pin hole.