Tanto PM2!!

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by jstn, Jan 22, 2019.

1. rxavage

rxavage

Aug 16, 2014
    I like where your heads at

jbmonkey likes this.
  2. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    guess I should add a pic showing what Im talking about....... 15965073748056723385627178687299.jpg 15965074087116879431557345758263.jpg

woodysone, nephron and Dadpool like this.
  3. rustyspike

rustyspike

Jan 17, 2016
    Just got mine. It's unreal. Very Nice.

woodysone likes this.
  4. rpn

rpn

Mar 17, 2008
    It's a cutter too with the hollow grind. Zipped through cardboard boxes for me like nothing. :thumbsup:

SubMicron, woodysone and AF like this.
  5. mag1

mag1 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Digging it 7CBA0A8E-0E2E-4C7A-8ED5-077AECEA4FFE.jpeg

BJ987, Dadpool, alliuse and 7 others like this.
  6. nephron

nephron Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Now how about a man sized knife like the Military(or even larger is better) in that config.

Eversion, SubMicron and jbmonkey like this.
  7. SubMicron

SubMicron Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2020
    PSX_20200804_192612.jpg

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  8. SubMicron

SubMicron Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2020
    PSX_20200804_165356.jpg

Eversion, nephron, woodysone and 2 others like this.
  9. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    [​IMG]

VashHash, BJ987, Eversion and 5 others like this.
  10. BJ987

BJ987

Jul 21, 2020
    I'm kind of confused here, both because of your post and because of the specs I read online... I'm very interested in this knife for my 3rd ever Spyderco and my first tanto. I personally hate the blade/handle ratio of the original PM2, which is why I am only interested in models with longer blades. Any why the only PM2 I "settled" on was the wave exclusive variant. I thought the 3.45" vs 3.44" spec would make a difference but I can't help but notice every time I hold it in my hand that it just feels wrong. I noticed online that the tanto spec says 3.5" blade with original PM2 handle. So, I thought this would better the blade/handle ratio. But, if I'm interpreting your post correctly, you say it feels/looks worse than a normal PM2?

11. BJ987

BJ987

Jul 21, 2020
    First, awesome pic. Second, I'm really interested in a comparison of the blade length and blade/handle ratio of those two. Because I have the waved PM2. My biggest gripe is the blade length and blade/handle ratio. If the handle length of both knives is exactly the same, and the blade of the tanto is longer, I'm down. If the tanto blade is the same length, I'm 75% down. If the tanto blade is shorter, I'm out. Sorry, I can't tell by the angle of the pic. And I guess it would also matter if those custom scales on your PM2 wave are the same length as the original G10 scales. Thanks!

12. jbmonkey

Jun 9, 2011
    to me....the out of whack ratio really pops out on the tanto. I dont mind the standard blade shape and handle ratio on a pm2. the blade should be a bit longer i feel, but it doesn't feel or look really odd to me. the tanto just screams too short, to me. others may feel different and that's okay.

13. BJ987

BJ987

Jul 21, 2020
    So I guess Blade HQ's specs are inaccurate? It wouldn't be the first time I've noticed them list inaccurate specs on a knife... They have the tanto at 3.5" blade length with a regular PM2 at 3.44". If that was accurate, it should feel and look less out of whack ratio-wise... Man... I wish I could just have one in my hand before I decide... The ratio really bothers me. I'm ok with my PM2 Wave because I love everything else about the knife. But I think if I got to see it in person before I bought it I might not have pulled the trigger...

14. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    You want knives of good blade to handle ratio and you dwell on PM2. That is really tough. I think you are looking at the wrong knife. To me no matter how you look, 0.01" won't make a noticeable difference.

jbmonkey likes this.
  15. Alpha556

Alpha556 Gold Member Gold Member

May 29, 2017
    This would be a good candidate for a regrind.

16. jbmonkey

Jun 9, 2011
    I haven't measured it with a ruler but I did compare it to the rex45 copper, and blade length was exactly the same.....if it was. 01longer I couldn't tell.

what im saying is to me....it feels and looks short and the standard pm2 doesn't, to me.

17. BJ987

BJ987

Jul 21, 2020
    According to the specs on Blade HQ, it's not 0.01" of a difference, it's 0.06" of a difference (3.44" vs 3.50"). As I said previously, I'm dwelling on the PM2 because I love everything about the knife except for the blade/handle ratio. There are many things I love about the knife. That ratio is just one aspect I don't like. As I am considering a first tanto, and another PM2 at the same time, it interested me seeing BHQ spec the blade length at 3.50".

Anyway, after a few days of "dwelling" on it, I think the outrageous price finally hit me. I don't think I'm going to pursue it any further...unless the price drops.

18. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    There will very likely be a satin version available soon, which should be a bit cheaper than the DLC one. What's good about limited runs of PM2 is that if you don't like them, you can usually sell without a big loss of $ (assuming you buy them first-hand). Now this is just my personal opinion but the tanto PM2 blade profile looks unattractive to me.

19. rpn

rpn

Mar 17, 2008
    Wanted to bump this. Mine's been getting a lot of carry time and it's a winner. Cuts great, tough enough without being a brick...and compression lock for the win. It's a big :thumbsup: here. Glad I bought it.

20. nyarlotep

nyarlotep

Mar 22, 2005
    I love mine. The extra weight of the blade requires a little more power to flick open, which isn't a problem, but makes me think a little bit of distal taper would be beneficial. I know that kinda defeats the purpose of a thick tough tanto tip, and the grind might not look as cool on the sides. I'd like the curved grind line on the front of the hollowgrind to meet up with the corner where the blade angles meet. I'd also love to see a satin blade in M4 with jade G10 scales.

rpn likes this.