1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by JustinFournier, Aug 30, 2016.

1. woodysone

woodysone Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2005
    How do you really feel Nathan?

2. bluemax_1

bluemax_1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2014
    So are you calling it the 'fluffer option'?:p

3. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    ^ obviously

4. never.truly.lost

never.truly.lost Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 13, 2015
    With winter mitts on you can’t use the little sparker things so the knife is the best option. Not a lot of guys will have that issue but in the northern half of the continent it is a thing to be mindful of

Organic556, vkp78, gusbuster and 5 others like this.
  5. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    ^ the fact that you feel you need one indicates there is a legitimate need which is why I'm making them. I swore I'd never do a sharp spine, but here we are...

6. fatfrog

fatfrog Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 26, 2019
    Canadian here! I actually never wear mitts for camp chores - even winter camping down to -35C. I would rather switch to light/midweight gloves to tinker with a fire or knives than to fumble around with big mitts.

That said, my mora has a 90 spine and I rather use that on a ferrorod than a cpk haha but that's just me.

7. never.truly.lost

Dec 13, 2015
    It will definitely appeal to the bushcrafty crowd for sure. It does work well for stripping wires and other misc daily problem fixing chores

duramax, gusbuster, Fullflat and 4 others like this.
  8. Logon

Logon

Jan 4, 2019
    It seems like the UFK is thicker behind the edge than the FK (0.020" vs. 0.015") and sharpened at a more obtuse angle (18° (also seen 20°, would be nice to know which one is the standard) vs. 15°). What was the design philosophy behind this change? With the UFK geometry I doubt if it can slice as well as the FK in the demonstration video on YouTube, though maybe it would sustain less damage smashing through a cinderblock. Will it be possible to ask for different grinds in the pre-order?

Also I would like to know if there is a difference in the durability of burlap micarta and canvas/linen micarta? Thank you.

9. Nathan the Machinist

Feb 13, 2007
    Yes, in the pre-order you will be able to order thinner grind and edge geometry and also a harder heat treat. I'm using the geometry and heat treat that we use now because in our development we found it gave the best combination of properties, but some people will like the harder thinner blade we used to use.

I have not done extensive testing but it seems to me the regular canvas Micarta is the most durable scale material we offer.

10. fatfrog

Jul 26, 2019
    2 grind/HT options amongst other custom options..........nathan, you're going to destroy my wallet.

11. woodysone

Nov 21, 2005
    Nathan, I thought I was done picking up sharps, but if you are making higher hardness with thinner stock, how can one resist?

Hard Knocks, vkp78, Odog27 and 6 others like this.
  12. fatfrog

Jul 26, 2019
    Like bikes, the number of sharps you need is n + 1 where n = the current # of knives you own lol

Odog27, Standard78, Mike157 and 5 others like this.
  13. woodysone

Nov 21, 2005
    The heck with diminishing returns, right?

Odog27, Standard78, Mike157 and 2 others like this.
  14. fatfrog

Jul 26, 2019
    The more knives you own, the less wear you put on each one, and the longer they all last. It's win win!

YOU CANNOT LOSE WITH THIS STRATEGY. KNIFE MAKERS HATE HIM. CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT MORE.

15. never.truly.lost

Dec 13, 2015
    whatever the original FK/D3V specs are, that is a winner

duramax, Fullflat, Odog27 and 5 others like this.
  16. Jarhead Greasemonkey

Jarhead Greasemonkey Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 4, 2015
    Blood makes the grass grow...

:cool:

17. gusbuster

gusbuster Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Nathan would a sharpened or unsharpened swedge, along with thinner and harder be an option on the preorder?

18. Daverous

Daverous StabosauROUS Platinum Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2018
    I was really excited about this pre-order. Then you added thinner stock... I really hope we're not limited to 1 per lol. I'm counting the hours now.

Fullflat, vkp78, Odog27 and 3 others like this.
  19. fatfrog

Jul 26, 2019
    Since I already have a HDFK, I'm really leaning towards the thinner grind...

Fullflat, vkp78, Odog27 and 3 others like this.
  20. bluemax_1

bluemax_1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2014
    That's the beauty of the pre-orders; order as many as you'd like, with whatever variations and options, and they'll make 'em.

You could order a separate knife with each of the different ~3 dozen or so scale options to match your wardrobe, if you chose:D

Fullflat, gusbuster, Odog27 and 3 others like this.