The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by JustinFournier, Aug 30, 2016.

1. ronnie hood

ronnie hood

Mar 12, 2018
    mendezj, Odog27, bluemax_1 and 2 others like this.
  2. mendezj

mendezj Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 24, 1998
    Er, cough, sigh, I’d truly hate to overstay my welcome here, or come across as obnoxious, but since we’ve been offered to ask questions, here I go: Is there any chance that we might see a new Skinner, or Skinner-like, knife in the near future? I mean, in case the answer is positive, I’d love to pre-order two. Thank you and please excuse my impertinence. Hey, cheers. :thumbsup:

benchrest308, duramax, twyych and 8 others like this.
  3. woodysone

woodysone Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2005
    Nathan, is there any chance we could get a picture or two of your move to a new home like the pictures of your new Shop? Just wanted to put an image to your comments. Thanks

duramax, Odog27, vkp78 and 3 others like this.
  4. SwarthyGnome

SwarthyGnome Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 1, 2018
    Nathan, if and when will you make a Double Edge fighter version of the DEK?
    Thanks.

5. Odog27

Odog27 Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Nathan does the new house have a creek? If not what will you do with the turds? Asking for a friend.

6. tinfoil hat timmy

tinfoil hat timmy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Does the carpet match the cars carpet? Asking because boredom.

duramax, Odog27, RayseM and 5 others like this.
  7. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    signal-2020-09-30-195127.jpg signal-2020-09-30-195008.jpg

untytled, Oyster, Organic556 and 27 others like this.
  8. mendezj

mendezj Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 24, 1998
    Oyster, duramax, Big DJ and 6 others like this.
  9. XtianAus

XtianAus Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2016
    Hi Nathan, wondering if you could explain why you decided not to reinforce the tip on the Dek considering it is a defensive style knife?

Dr_Void, Mike157, woodysone and 2 others like this.
  10. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    I know the question wasn't directed at me, but I don't know what you mean by 'reinforced tip'

my production version is .03" at the bevel transition which isn't chubby, but it's not needle like either

the only way I can think of reinforcing the tip is to steepen the primary bevel out to the point of the knife, in which case you'd lose a little sliceyness at the front of the blade, where it's need most

Oyster, vkp78, fonedork and 10 others like this.
  11. bluemax_1

bluemax_1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2014
    I believe he was talking about Nathan's explanation of the 'reinforced tip' on the UF and DEF due to the cross-section.

jus_gus, XtianAus and Odog27 like this.
  12. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    The tip is one of the weakest areas on a blade. There are a couple approaches to reinforcing a tip such as twisting the primary grind more obtuse and grinding it less to leave more material. I dropped the shoulders on the Shiv to an area directly behind the point rather than at the spine.

Some offensive weapons have reinforced points to defeat body armor or to be used as a tool to open a hole in a wall etc. A defensive weapon could also have a reinforced point, but there are always compromises in a design such as weight or reduced cutting utility.

A while back a user was mowing grass and noticed he was about to be jumped by a Pitbull. He noticed the attack in time to draw his EDC and it protected him from the lunging dog and he was not seriously mauled. The EDC was not designed as a weapon but any knife can be used as a weapon. The idea of the DEK1 was a compact everyday carry utility knife that was dressy and slicey and a very nice fine cutting tool that also happened to be designed as a weapon. This is as much about the handle shape as the blade. While there is an argument to a reinforced point for some weapons there is an argument against one for a small fine cutting tool. And in the case of the DEK1, the absence of a reinforced point makes it a lighter better cutting tool and it is no less of a weapon.

Sort answer: in the balance of things, in my opinion it was a better knife for the way that Lorien and I envisioned it without the extra meat at the point. It isn't a super duty hard use tactical knife, it's a high performance fine gentleman's knife made for cutting things and perhaps the occasional person.

untytled, jus_gus, Oyster and 25 others like this.
  13. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    I can't believe how well you explain shit

untytled, jus_gus, Oyster and 13 others like this.
  14. Mike157

Mike157 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 29, 2006
    Yes, I agree. Mike

jus_gus, mendezj, bluemax_1 and 4 others like this.
  15. XtianAus

Mar 3, 2016
    Thanks for your explanation
    The Dek tip is less thick than I am use too.
    That said, I am sure it is plenty durable enough. I just overthink it sometimes.
    I have broken a 0.23" 1095 knife, prying. I know prying isnt advised for a knife. But it wasnt gross abuse, it was fairly light prying. That said, it was a questionable HT and questionable company. Just that now, it causes me to overthick knife tips and look for something I dont need to worry about.
    Again, I am sure the Dek is more than capable, considering your quality, knowledge and the design philosophy for this knife.

All in all though, the Dek is possibly the most comfortable, well designed, appropriate-sized knife I have ever held. I freaking love this thing.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    jus_gus, Oyster, Organic556 and 8 others like this.
  16. Lorien

Dec 5, 2005
    and you can clean your fingernails with it

jus_gus, Oyster, Organic556 and 5 others like this.
  17. Nathan the Machinist

Feb 13, 2007

Can you describe the prying that broke that knife? Perhaps I could set up a demonstration that would ease your mind.

18. XtianAus

Mar 3, 2016
    I was stabbing into and then prying apart wood of a log while on a hike. I did this after some battoning and it snapped a large chunk of the blade I think on the 3rd or 4th pry

It was just a budget blade and a schrade with questionable quality (hence my lack of hesitation and my misuse for 'fun'). Even though the steel, and HT is questionable, I still pause and hesitate with quality blades that arent reinforced, because although this was pretty much a piece of junk, it was still a 1/4" hunk piece of steel.

I'd love to see a demonstration if you are willing to do so. I always appreciate your videos as a whole and have seen them all.

Said knife below

[​IMG]

jus_gus, vkp78, 1AbominAble1 and 4 others like this.
  19. Nathan the Machinist

Feb 13, 2007

A reinforced point will help prevent snapping the tip off, but it sounds like you actually broke your knife back in the blade a ways back from the point? Still, not a problem, but it will be impossible for me to set up a demonstration on a 4" log while whacking on an inch or two of the tip with the DEK1 due to the shorter blade length. But I'll try to put together a video with the DEK1 doing something as similar as possible.

untytled, jus_gus, JJ_Colt45 and 13 others like this.
  20. XtianAus

Mar 3, 2016
    That's probably right. It was a while ago but i'd say about about 1/2-3/4" of length, so a little more than just the tip

Thanks Nathan
    Much appreciated, as always with your tests and dedication to designing a perfected tool.

jus_gus, Oyster, duramax and 4 others like this.