The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by JustinFournier, Aug 30, 2016.

1. VashHash

VashHash

Aug 11, 2009
    I have an S35VN native from spyderco and it performs very well. Sharpens pretty easily and is decently tough in serrated. I've cut through metal welding rod cans and can still cut rope after. Sure it dulls the edge but it rolls instead of chipping. I can fix it with a ceramic sharpener too.

jus_gus, vkp78, Odog27 and 4 others like this.
  2. jus_gus

jus_gus Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Nathan, are you familiar with Cold Steel’s S35VN? Lynn Thompson says their S35VN is 60 HRC.

3. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    No I haven't tried it, but 60 is a good start.

You need a rapid quench. This keeps both the carbon and the chromium in solution rather than forming unnecessary secondary carbides. This increases strain energy in the quench which helps achieve a more complete uniform martensite conversion in the primary quench reducing RA (and any need for higher tempering temperatures) and other undesirable microstructures and also improves corrosion resistance.

And you need cryo before any temper.

The maker has to do these two things to achieve good edge stability or it doesn't matter that it's HRC 60, it's still going to be chippy/mushy.

Most large makers don't do this, for a number of reasons.

And then, yes, you want it to be in the 60's.

untytled, Hard Knocks, vkp78 and 10 others like this.
  4. jus_gus

jus_gus Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Thanks for your reply. :thumbsup::)

5. ElCaptain

ElCaptain

May 1, 2011
    Nathan, at one point there was talk of a camp knife with a preliminary design built. If I remember correctly, it was going to be like a larger hdfk. I noticed it’s not listed on the upcoming projects. Was that one put aside? Also.. please? 701B66F4-E39A-4613-BD25-687798033664.jpeg

6. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    That's a pity. 154cm is a good solid steel.

7. The Amazing Virginian

The Amazing Virginian Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Sad to hear folks botching the heat treatment on something like 154CM which has been around since the 1970s and for which I imagine Paul Bos developed a perfectly fine heat treatment decades ago.

8. Organic556

Organic556 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2015
    Any hope to have the remaining boot daggers dropped all on the same day?

woodysone, vkp78, jus_gus and 2 others like this.
  9. bluemax_1

bluemax_1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Pleeeeeeeease.

benchrest308, Organic556 and Odog27 like this.
  10. Nathan the Machinist

Feb 13, 2007
    I'm going to hold some back for Bladeshow fodder. The second drop is probably going to be about 20-30 of them.

11. Nathan the Machinist

Feb 13, 2007
    The last of the daggers are heat treated and we are processing them now in preparation for the next drop which will be in a few weeks

12. Big DJ

Big DJ Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 29, 2013
    Hey Nathan how goes the DEK preorder progress?

Odog27, woodysone and jus_gus like this.
  13. Nathan the Machinist

Feb 13, 2007
    Just fine

Odog27, woodysone, Box_Opener and 7 others like this.
  14. SharpPancake

SharpPancake Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 30, 2018
  15. Nathan the Machinist

Feb 13, 2007
  16. Josh K

Josh K Pirate

Sep 29, 2008
    <screams in excitement>

Odog27, Mike157 and bluemax_1 like this.
  17. benchrest308

benchrest308 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2014
    I'd love to go to blade show. Sadly, I'm certain the border will remain closed.

18. Organic556

Organic556 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2015
    30 is the sweet spot . I’ll have a shot at 30 .

Odog27 and benchrest308 like this.
  19. sre1

sre1 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Nathan,
    Other than the aesthetics of countersunk screws being relatively flush with the scales, is there a reason you use countersunk, rather than button-heads?

Odog27 likes this.
  20. Nathan the Machinist

Feb 13, 2007
    It's a functional consideration. A counterbore leaves a 90 degree shoulder edge in the scale which is less comfortable to your skin than the chamfer you have with a countersink.

jus_gus, Odog27, Mike157 and 2 others like this.