The Bears' Den--Shirogorov Showcase

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by ChazzyP, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Alsharif

Alsharif Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 8, 2018
    That's what I've gathered from people with CDs. The latest Shiro offerings are on the same level, which is fantastic!

2. Alsharif

Jan 8, 2018
    In case anyone viewing this thread is wondering. The only way to get replacement parts is through [email protected]. It'll take a while, up to two months, but you'll get the parts. Be patient when contacting him as replies can take up to a week (or more).

Just got the new F95NL in Arctic Storm :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Eliteone2383

Eliteone2383 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 26, 2015
    I have a question. Will any ball bearings work for shiros as long as they are the same size? I'm asking because I want a shiro but im afraid if I lose any bearings ill be up a creek.

Alsharif likes this.
  4. Alsharif

Jan 8, 2018
    I do recommend buying extra bearings before disassembly. They're cheap and easy to get. A non-magnetic tweezer will also be instrumental.

Any 1.5mm bearings will work. It is best if you use steel bearings and not ceramic, as that is what is recommended by Shirogorov. When it comes to bearings, the roundness is valued by a grade number. The lower the grade the higher the tolerances and more round the bearings. The lowest I could find at a reasonable price is grade 10.

[​IMG]
    (https://insights.globalspec.com/article/12349/how-are-bearing-balls-made)

I bought extra bearings off of Amazon: (1.5mm 500pcs AISI 440C Stainless Steel Bearing Balls Grade 10 (AISI440C)). They don't necessarily need to be made of 440C.

Edgeoflife, ChazzyP and Eliteone2383 like this.
  5. Eliteone2383

Jun 26, 2015
    Thank you!

Alsharif likes this.
  6. Alsharif

Jan 8, 2018
    You're welcome! I totally recommend Shiros. Most that say they're too expensive end up buying two to three times more knives and spending about the same in the end, it was that way for me. If you can get past the sticker shock and can appreciate fine details and superb craftsmanship, you'll love'm. There's a Shiro Facebook group for secondary sales, good deals come up all the time.

Only con to ownership is that they're located in Russia. Parts and/or warranty work, if needed, can take a long time.

Jacknife64 likes this.
  7. Eliteone2383

Jun 26, 2015
    Unfortunately I was completely banned from Facebook for having a 3 percenter profile picture. Now I get flagged immediately if I try to make another account.

8. Alsharif

Jan 8, 2018
    VPN ;)

Another point I’d like to add is that I don’t feel that their smaller offerings are done as well as their full size knives. Maybe they are as good, or better, when you pay custom division prices at $2k+. That’s been my experience with the production Hation Zero I had and subsequently sold. YMMV.

Eliteone2383 likes this.
  9. ChazzyP

ChazzyP Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Interesting point, though I have only one smaller Shiro to judge by, but MMDV as I'm very pleased with my most basic NeOn UL in S30V. I am very much a larger knife guy and my other 7 Bears are all 95mm and up, but the little guy is a great flipper and free-dropper with every bit the same high level of design and F&F as its larger and more expensive comrades. It's also hard to argue with a Shiro that originally retailed at $550 (I paid less for all-but-BNIB) when serial F95's are now eleven hundred bucks at the US dealers.

Speaking of basic--and old school--I pocketed the second Tabargan I've owned today. I still miss my beautiful, custom-scaled, 3D, M390 100NS that I sold to fund my F95R, but it was way too pretty to carry and mark up and this most basic 2D 440C model is excellent in hand and a great work user. The "lesser" steel takes a wicked keen edge too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Alsharif

Jan 8, 2018
    I haven’t seen many models like that. Very interesting! When was that made?

Perhaps part of the reason was the Cf scale on my Hation Zero? I wouldn’t mind trying a small all titanium or inlayed titanium model.

I think the steady rise in Shiro pricing is due to the improvements to their production line. The lines are beginning to blur between CDs and the top offerings in their production line.

11. Mr.sig239

Mr.sig239 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 16, 2007
    My beat to hell neon opens and closes as good or better then some of my more expensive Shiro's. It will always be in my pocket.
    [​IMG]

knoefz, Alsharif, JAB and 1 other person like this.
  12. JBoone

JBoone

Dec 30, 2012
    I appreciate your feedback and decided to try the neon zero.
    First Shiro is in the mail.

Alsharif and 1AbominAble1 like this.
  13. ChazzyP

ChazzyP Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 27, 2014
    @Alsharif , the 100NS (New Style) is the second generation Tabargan and introduced the iconic PacMan screws to the model. The NS was produced from about 2010-2013/14. The one I pictured above was the baseline model with 2D G10 scales, open back construction, and modest steels. A parallel line featured M390, Vanax 35, and other "better" steels, 3D scales of CF or other, backspacers, and decorative touches like anodized liners and clips.

You can find my dearly departed searching back through this thread, but here's a couple pics from back in the day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still, that beauty really only got fondled and admired while its more modest cousin gets carried and used with regularity.

[​IMG]

Edgeoflife, knoefz, Alsharif and 2 others like this.
  14. Sos24

Sos24 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 14, 2018
    Shirogorov finally made a lefty and a NeOn according to Recon 1. I’m so upset I missed it. Hopefully there will be more.

Did anyone here get one.

Alsharif and Anderdale like this.
  15. Anderdale

Anderdale Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2015
    I saw it posted and was trying to decide if I can afford it. By the time I was ready to pull the trigger it was sold out. Bittersweet that I missed this one. I’ll probably jump on another drop

Alsharif likes this.
  16. Alsharif

Jan 8, 2018
    Post pictures when you get it! Let us know how you like it

JBoone likes this.
  17. Crumley

Crumley Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2019
    Another 2 cents worth on the quality of full size v. smaller versions. I have several full size including one CD. I have a Neon UL S30V and a recently purchased Hation Zero that came from this site. The Quantum and a new F3 NL bronze are the newest full size. Quality on these two is top notch. The Quantum surprises me as to how close it is to the CD which runs on rollers. The older Neon is closer to the quality of the full size versions. The Hation has a few "sharp" edges but nothing that would make me consider getting rid of it, especially for the price I paid. I don't think it is an equal to the Neon but this doesn't stop me from carrying it. I had bought a Hation Zero when they first came out. It suffered from the ridiculously tight clip and very stiff detent that other people had complained about so I sold it.

Alsharif likes this.
  18. Alsharif

Jan 8, 2018
    Video of my Bronze F3NS.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  19. JBoone

JBoone

Dec 30, 2012
    Received today. Never handeled a Shiro and impressed but is most expensive to date. I have 1 hinder, 2 Chris reeves, and 2 striders so not my first midtech. It is solid but crazy light.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    Edgeoflife, knoefz, jfk1110 and 5 others like this.
  20. Alsharif

Jan 8, 2018
    Beauty! They’re coming out with glow-in-the-dark Hation Zeros. No ETA and not my jam.

I want to see the R21 annual, maybe some 3D milling? Not holding my breath

JBoone likes this.