The Bears' Den--Shirogorov Showcase

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by ChazzyP, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Mr.sig239

Mr.sig239 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 16, 2007
    JBoone: Give it enough flips to drive a partner crazy and it will get even smoother. These are great knives.

JBoone and jfk1110 like this.
  2. Terry M.

Terry M. Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 5, 2006
    The family grows. A CD Neon added today. Very strong detent and not nearly as smooth flipper as my large ones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    Edgeoflife, knoefz, Alsharif and 2 others like this.
  3. Alsharif

Alsharif Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 8, 2018
    That's a beauty, I think I saw your post on the Shiro FB group! Perhaps it needs to be taken down and lubed. The factory Militec grease isn't the best for action.

You'll need CD bit tool to take it apart and it can be tough to get. Clark on the FB group sells them for ~$40.

Terry M. likes this.
  4. ChazzyP

ChazzyP Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Nice trio there, @Terry M. , with the R19, F3NS, and now your CD NeOn. I've read numerous comments about Zero's having wicked stiff detents as well as being difficult to flip and not as smooth as the larger models. I know some owners have given up and sold them but I've also read reports that the detents lightened up with use and were fine after breaking in. As far as the smoothness goes, I always get the grease out of my Shiros as I'm not a fan of whatever it is they use. While I've got the knife apart for cleaning I interior polish all moving parts and de-burr the bearing cages on an old strop. I use W10 NanoOil in all my PB and BB knives and add a dab of fluorinated grease to the detent ball. My older NeOn UL was a little balky when I got it LNIB but flips really easily and free drops smoothly and completely after tuning.

I hope that yours works out for you as it's a sweet-looking knife.

Edit: Don't know how I missed @Alsharif 's post above with the same advice on cleaning out the grease. o_O Also, I've often used a properly-fitting common screw driver with a bit of electrical tape over the blade on my Shiros and have suffered no damage. I've got a couple short, fat Wiha handles that afford great leverage and proximity.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    Alsharif likes this.
  5. Kmikaz3

Kmikaz3 Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Aug 28, 2019
    [​IMG]

Edgeoflife, Ajack60, knoefz and 3 others like this.
  6. Mr.sig239

Apr 16, 2007
    This one showed up in the mail today. F3NS in purple carbon fiber. #7 for me. Now I just need a Quantum then I'm done for this year.
    f3ns7.JPG

kobold, Edgeoflife, Ajack60 and 6 others like this.
  7. ChazzyP

ChazzyP Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Nice NS, there, @Mr.sig239 . Congrats on adding that to your personal den. I'm pretty content with my 8 Shiros and don't see myself replacing any of them with more current models, but I am pretty tempted by the F3 New Series which would have to be in addition to my Python which they may have to pry from my cold dead fingers.

As I liked and quoted your post of "old blue" at the EDC thread, here's the other two pics from today of my Blue that I didn't post over there. This one's an F95R that pre-dates the current line of 95 Slims but does incorporate the 3.5 mm blade stock. Although Shiro has gotten away from using Vanax37 in their serial knives, I'm really pleased to have that steel in mine as well as in the RDD.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edgeoflife, Ajack60, knoefz and 2 others like this.
  8. Mr.sig239

Apr 16, 2007
    That is a nice looking knife @ChazzyP !
    I carry the blue 95 or the Doctor death the most now that I'm retired. Great size and shape for carry. I still love my 111 though. LOL! I'll never be able to decide. I can see this F3 putting in a lot of pocket time too.
    I was actually thinking maybe I should set up a daily carry routine using each one. Neon rides in my other pocket every day though.

ChazzyP likes this.
  9. SVTFreak

SVTFreak Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Nice additions! I need an f3 still but I’ve been spending too much on my traditional knife pile. I’m due time.

Mr.sig239 likes this.
  10. knoefz

knoefz

Mar 20, 2009
    Love the new F3's details, that puple is a nice touch too.

Mr.sig239 likes this.
  11. Mr.sig239

Apr 16, 2007
    Updated the family pic:
    [​IMG]

Edgeoflife, jaypopsti, knoefz and 5 others like this.
  12. Anderdale

Anderdale Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Purchased a left handed neon today!

super stoked it will be the first shiro I’ve ever owned. Really appreciate them making a left handed knife. Only downside is I have to sell some favorites to make up for it!

Mr.sig239, Alsharif, Ajack60 and 2 others like this.
  13. Mr.sig239

Apr 16, 2007
    Ordered another bear today. Thankfully this one was a little cheaper. Changed my avatar to bears also.
    [​IMG]

JAB and knoefz like this.
  14. Dadpool

Dadpool Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2015
    After years of admiring them from afar, I finally picked up a Shiro. This NeOn NL is a gem. :D

[​IMG]

15. Mr.sig239

Apr 16, 2007
    Can't believe how smooth and quick the action is right out of the box on this F3NS.
    It just about takes my finger off when I close it.
    F3NSfront.JPG

kobold, Edgeoflife, evltcat and 6 others like this.
  16. rxavage

rxavage

Aug 16, 2014
    I put a deposit on a bronzed quantum today. I’ll pay it off in a few weeks and once it’s in I’ll show it off.
    When I first got my neon zero I wasn’t disappointed but I wasn’t impressed either, over time though, my appreciation for shiro has grown. Grown to the point I’m buying another and considering and nl too.

Alsharif and Mr.sig239 like this.
  17. Mr.sig239

Apr 16, 2007
    bearfob3.JPG
    I put a bear on a "bear".

Edgeoflife, evltcat, knoefz and 6 others like this.
  18. Anderdale

Nov 21, 2015
    0D85FED0-06DF-48B8-B2E0-5900B183F262.jpeg

Edgeoflife, knoefz, JAB and 6 others like this.
  19. Alsharif

Alsharif Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 8, 2018
    That looks so clean! Beauty

Anderdale likes this.
  20. Anderdale

Nov 21, 2015
    It is, Thankyou! A fellow lefty on Instagram told me there is a learning curve with this knife and he was not lying. I cut my thumb already closing it lol. It drops so fast. Also figuring out where to position my fingers when opening is taking some getting used too.