The Benchmade Crooked River custom would have a much more potential with coloured screws

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by BloodyDonnie, May 24, 2020.

1. BloodyDonnie

BloodyDonnie Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 14, 2017
    I embellished my Crooked River custom with 3M Vinyl wrap on the screws, and wow what a difference. If only that was an option in the Benchmade custom shop, but I was thinking that maybe one of the factors it isn't is cause it would possibly cannibalize some of the gold class sales.

I was about to sell this gem today, but just look at it! How could I?

20200524_184601.jpg 20200524_184623.jpg 20200524_184652.jpg

2. glockfire

glockfire Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Wow, that Crooked River looks great. Never seen or used that stuff, how durable is it if you were to need to swap clips?

3. BloodyDonnie

BloodyDonnie Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 14, 2017
    Thanks! Yea the 3M vinyl wrap I used is the 1080 series which is designed for the exterior of automobiles, so it is extremely durable as it was designed for exterior use. But because of that, it is kind of its tedious to apply, because it is thick, so if your knife has tight tolerances like the crooked river, you need to make sure it doesn't wrap down to the side of the screw head, or it the screw head wont fit in the into the hole on the handle. So you need to trim around the face of the screw. It's hard at first but after one day of doing it I was able to do it really well. The wrap is also very flexible so it molds into the torx holes no problem

4. glockfire

glockfire Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Had no idea, great innovation as far as using that product in new ways.