THE BUSSE CHAT THREAD!

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by FAL'ER, Aug 11, 2020.

1. cobrajet

cobrajet Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2012
    And nuclear meltdown means rounded edges?

2. lmcq784

lmcq784 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Yes, nuclear meltdown have the rounded edges all around the piece, including guard/talons, tang, spine, etc.

Nuclear option, or affectionately "Nuked", are optional treatments Busse offers during a release. They're not always the same. It can be any combination of the following:
    • Extra level of polishing or satin treatment
    • Fuller
    • Swedge
    • Custom Shop logo
    • Different handle materials choices
    • Rounded edges
    • "Light brigade" treatment or skeletonized lightening treatment under handle scales
    • Etc.
    Depending on the model being offered, these options changes. So Nuked on one model doesn't always translate to the same things on another model.

Currawong and tuica like this.
  3. cobrajet

Mar 31, 2012
    Good Lord. Thanks for the clarification. At least I got the meltdown right.

tuica likes this.
  4. JohnTheTexican

JohnTheTexican Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 1, 2006
    To expand a bit on what lmcq784 said, the first time I saw the phrase "nuclear meltdown" used was with the Nuclear Meltdown Fusion Battle Mistress. In addition to the rounded edges, it was also longer and thicker than the regular Fusion Battle Mistress. The Nuclear Meltdown SFNO was also longer and thicker than the regular SFNO. Same with the Nuclear Meltdown Fusion Steel Heart. But then the Nuclear Meltdown SAR 3 was thin and not extra long. So it seems that when "Nuclear Meltdown" is used in the name of a knife, it often, but not always, refers to a knife that's longer and beefier than the model upon which it is based. But when it's just used descriptively and is not part of the name of the model, it seems just to refer to the rounded edges and nothing else.

But I guess all you can really get from all this is that it means rounded edges, as lmcq784 said.

Currawong, tuica and lmcq784 like this.
  5. FAL'ER

FAL'ER Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2010
    I like cake.

6. FAL'ER

Mar 31, 2010
    It seems like Nuclear Option means different things on different blades at different times. I guess Nuclear Meltdown is the same, I like that about Busse.
    They're unpredictable, always keeping us off balance, never sure, never knowing, no absolutes and above all, always leaving the party 5 minutes before we want them to. Keeps us wanting more, I respect that.

tuica likes this.
  7. FAL'ER

Mar 31, 2010
    And lightening cuts under the handles. On the Forsaken Steel heart model.

8. tuica

tuica Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2013
    PS - Nuclear treated Busse are not actually subjected to the energy effects of Nuclear Fusion.

9. cobrajet

Mar 31, 2012

Since you obviously have experience with both types of handles I'm interested in, and anyone else for that matter, which would you prefer for more heavy duty work..
    chopping, de-limbing, batoning? My only experience (don't laugh) is with my schrade schf52 which basically has the fusion shaped handle, and I love it. Being able to choke back on it and still grip it well because of the down turned pommel is great.

10. JohnTheTexican

Jul 1, 2006
    This is wrong:

tuica likes this.
  11. JohnTheTexican

Jul 1, 2006
    I have a FBM LE that I use for heavy chopping and such. I really like the fusion handle on that. I've never used a HR for heavy duty stuff.

12. lmcq784

Feb 5, 2010
    The profile of the Fusion and Nano Fusion handles are actually great. It afford many different comfortable grips for different tasks. Choked up for fine work, choked back for extension, etc.

The best, tho? I gotta go with Res-C.

Will York likes this.
  13. FAL'ER

Mar 31, 2010
    Does the res C give you blisters?

14. tuica

tuica Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Thanks, John! I only seek The Truth.

lmcq784 likes this.
  15. lmcq784

Feb 5, 2010
    Not so far!

16. Currawong

Currawong Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 19, 2012
    When chopping for an extended time without gloves, ResC gives me blisters.

17. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Me too, but micarta does it worse.

I had an e handle battle mistress that I put tennis racket wrap on and that was pretty comfy. It would still eventually blister my hand, but it took a lot of chopping.

tuica likes this.
  18. FAL'ER

Mar 31, 2010
    Anything is gonna create a hot spot or give a bister used hard enough or long enough. I've got a Mud Mutt that I've used medium hard and not had any problems with hot spots, compare that to my Cold Steel Master Hunter with that soft rubber handle. I worked up a blister fast just batoning 1, 2" diameter stick down into quarters and them making 5 or 6 feather sticks. So I learned what that knife isn't good for and put it in my car kit, next to a pair of gloves.
    I just wanted to know what other's experiences were.

I don't own a large chopper with Resip. C, so I appreciate your input.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  19. dogboye

dogboye Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 1999
    I think I'm largely with you. If Busse did a HR2 with a fusion or nano-fusion handle, it just might be the first Hellrazor that I could say no to. I don't DISLIKE the fusion/nano-fusion grip. I just like the HR/HR2/SFNO grip better.

I have not yet had either a micarta or a Res C give me blisters. With or without gloves. But I usually wear gloves for really hard work... so... dunno.

20. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 3, 2001
    I do a lot of chopping choked way back on the handle for extra force. Anything with that lip on the end will kill your fingers like that, eventually. The bird beak pommels are great to grab onto like that, but they’ll wear your fingers out too.