The Dr makes me feel better GAW

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Wurrwulf, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Wurrwulf

Wurrwulf Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Welp. No electricity or work thanks to Zeta. My life's certainly been better, and I think it's time to be a little selfish. Making other people feel good makes me feel good, and since doctors are known for making people feel good, how about a Winchester Black Box Doctor's Knife from 1989?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rules are fairly simple: regale me with a story of generosity from your life. It can be something you did, something that helped you, or something you witnessed. It can be in relation to BladeForums or your personal life. I'm looking for some mental pick-me-ups, and as a reward, I'll choose someone who will get a house call from the doctor.

Speaking of generosity, I need to take a moment to recognize one of our most prestigious and generous members: @Jack Black. Not long ago, Jack sent along one of his famous packages, and I was lucky enough to be the recipient. Along with a beautiful leather key fob and lovely postcard, Jack sent an amazing Ettrick. This is my first Ettrick, and the funny looking thing had always intrigued me. Wouldn't you know it, the darn thing is one of the most comfortable knives I've ever held. Maybe those Sheffield cats knew what they were doing. ;) Thank you, JB, from the bottom of my heart.

[​IMG]

The fine print:
    - Be a fairly frequent face around the porch
    - 18+
    - Enter early, enter often! I'll let this run until people run out of stories.
    - I am opening this to our friends stateside and abroad.

Thanks, y'all! All the best!

2. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Early and often, eh?
    I'm not in but thanks for the chance.

There was this time I demanded a guy's jacket from him and he gave me his waistcoat also. Boy, did I feel like a jerk.

I guess I'm not comfortable telling real tales of gratitude, because I'm afraid I'd leave somebody out.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  3. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    First, this is NOT an entry.
    First rate prize though, I've always liked the looks of those Winchester Black Box knives.
    And i certainly hope things smooth out for you and you find the joys in everyday living and the struggles that comes with it.
    As far as generosity, you need look no further than the members of this forum. I have been the recipient of several members' generosity. None more generous than our very own, ED @Modoc ED. This fine gentleman has sent me some wonderful knives, some which are worth a pretty penny to boot. ED likes to poke the bear, he's a little rough around the edges, but I think that's what I like about him. I think we would get along well in real life. Here are a couple of examples of the fantastic knives that ED has sent my way, but there are many more where they came from.

This one could have earned him a nice price on the secondary market, but he chose to send it to me instead... Really precious.
    [​IMG]

This has become my very favorite "larger" knife, it's a really well made 1970's Case Texas Jack that is gorgeous!
    [​IMG]

Thanks again, ED. :)
    And good luck to all that enter. :cool::thumbsup:

4. Railsplitter

Railsplitter Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2010
    This happened a long time ago. 1980 or 1981 but it has always stuck in my mind.

I was in the Military and a friend and I had rented a mobile home off base. The trailer caught fire one night while we were both asleep. Mark made it out fairly unscaved but I was black from head to toe from the soot and I had a bad case of smoke inhalation. I slept in my skivvies and I wound up walking around outside in my underwear while the trailer continued to burn. Mark and I both lost everything we owned except the clothes we were wearing at the time. For me it was only a pair of briefs.

The neighbor lady from cattycorner across the street whom I had never met before came running over with a pair of her husband's jeans for me to put on. That was a nice gesture in itself but what really stuck in my mind is that while I was hospitalized for smoke inhalation that lady and her husband found me in the hospital and brought me several more pairs of jeans, shirts, and socks.

I didn't even know these people and to this day I could not tell you their names.

5. rishma

rishma

Jun 22, 2008
    Great idea for a thread. Reading these posts will brighten many of our days.

@Wurrwulf - having lived through many gulf coast hurricanes and a flooded house, my thoughts and prayers are headed your way.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  6. Mongo

Mongo

Nov 5, 2001
    I'd like to tell of my wife's generosity and huge heart. As a teenager, she was one of the main care-takers of her maternal grandmother, who lived with them after she had a stroke. Flash forward to the present, where she is the MAIN care-taker of her mother. My MIL is one of the sweetest women that has ever walked the face of this Earth... and she is burdened with diabetes, congestive heart failure and currently suffering through a nasty bout of shingles. My wife is there every single day, tending to her mother... even though one of her sisters and her dispsh!t husband LIVE with my MIL! Even my daughters take a significant role in helping with their "Oma". I'm very proud of her, and stand in awe of her every day.

And... even though I adore the Dr. pattern, even collect stag handled ones (with spatula), this is NOT an entry. Though, thank you for your generosity. I too look forward to reading this thread...

glennbad, Wurrwulf, byjiminy and 3 others like this.
  7. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Great GAW concept and prize. Will be a nice change to read pages of generosity - no strings attached of people connecting. Just cheering you guys on. I can't begin to decide which grand gesture I might share but maybe through the weekend I'll draw one out. Meanwhile - thank you Shawn. :thumbsup: Obviously - I'm not in the GAW with this post. ;)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    Wurrwulf and Misplaced Hillbilly like this.
  8. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    Thats a nice bit of cutlery! Well think I'll throw in on this one. I'll use something that happened today but in my mind started yesterday. You see yesterday I bought lunch for the Boss and the ladies I work with. Our mobile home refurbishing crew is my Boss a lady, 3 Mexican ladies and me.Anyway I had to haul a load of stuff to the landfill and decided to pick up a Bojangles tailgate box of fried chicken and the fixings on the way back. Well I wouldn't let them pay me anything because in the past they've shared their homemade food at work,figured to repay some of their generosity. Well today I was outside the house we been working on when a lady stopped in the road and asked if I wanted a big box of food. I told her to pull into the yard lol, didn't want her just sitting in the highway having a conversation. Well she'd been to a church that was doing a food drive to help people impacted by the covid shutdown. They'd given her their last seven boxes! Well this kind woman was stopping along her way home and handing out the boxes to others. There was a bag of potatoes &onions & carrots and apples. A gallon of milk,a pound of cheese, a quart of vanilla yogurt, a pint of cottage cheese, 5 pounds of chicken nuggets.and some other odds'n'ends. Well more than I could use up by myself before it went bad. So when I got home I took some to my friend Joy because she's having a rough time and is on disability and her car broke down to where its more expensive than its worth to fix. She laughed and showed me a list she was writing when I pulled up : potatoes, carrots,onions, ect. Seems she was planning to make us a big pot of beef stew. In my mind kindness begets kindness, someone shared their lunch with me,I buy someone lunch,someone receives more food than she needs and gives the rest to strangers, she gives me a box of food,I decide to share it with someone, that someone was planning to make a stew to share with me, the ingredients was in the box....on and on..

Mongo, Tjstampa, abbydaddy and 11 others like this.
  9. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    This one may ring a bell ;)
    About a year ago I mentioned in a thread that the GEC h20 drop point was one of the few GEC knives I would or could justify buying/ owning but they were no longer in production.
    Not long after you contacted me to offer one you weren't using and I graciously accept this wonderful knife that became one of my most carried knives of the year.
    Certainly my most carried belt knife.
    [​IMG]
    That is a beautiful stunner of a knife and I'm very very tempted, but I've received enough generosity and I have been trying to do more paying it forward than accepting lately.
    I'm not in, but someone is gonna really love that one for sure.
    Just last week I gave my buddy the knife out of my pocket because I had just ordered another in a different color and I've been passing along a number of things I wasn't using as much as I felt the recipients might.

Excellent idea for a GAW by the way :thumbsup:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  10. sitflyer

sitflyer Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2011
    I heard it said that the best place to store excess food that you can't use in time, is in your neighbors belly. Hopefully they will return the favor in the future. That's the way things used to be.

11. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Very uplifting GAW and needed :thumbsup:

My tale or anecdote is not knife related I'm afraid, although I've been shown kindness & altruism here from many people. :cool:

Month to two ago we got hit by a massive storm, I was at the country place but wisely decided to 'flee' back to town when I heard the forecast. During the night a very large and none too healthy Birch tree came down, thankfully not on the house. Oddly it was leaning away from the garden so I always assumed if it came down it would fall harmlessly on a hay field as the prevailing winds seldom come from that direction. Uh uh wrong assumption :eek: easterly gust must've caught it and it went down right across the driveway and destroyed the gate, what a mess! Worse still, there's a brook or stream around the place and it means if the entrance is blocked you have to walk with bags some hundreds of metres through muddy fields to get in.

I don't own a chain saw nor do I know how to use one, they're dangerous things and I didn't feel like trying a learning curve:eek: anyway, it was a big tree. What to do? I called a few places, VERY unhelpful- too far away, too much work, next January, job is too small all that :poop: Plus demanding absurd sums- saying to me openly you can try getting it back on insurance anyway so who cares? Crooked I felt. A local farmer shares the entrance with me to a barn of his, I asked him who to call. He just said " I've seen it, don't worry I'll fix it up for you but can't do it right away" I was very touched by this altruism and he's not a young man, getting near 70 I believe. He indeed chopped it up into very nice pieces and cleared away debris neatly, a lot of work. He's a very religious man and absolutely refuses to take any money for work, I offered him the firewood but he said he has plenty. So from one extreme to another: crooks after as much money as they can rip off you to a man who will take none. It troubles me that I can't get him to take anything, thought about buying him 50 litres of diesel but he's very against taking anything- knives are a no no too :D

But in these troubled times, with people being fearful and suspicious of each other, fed up with this virus stress, his kindness came in marked contrast, like a DOCTOR to woes:thumbsup: Plus I can get into my place without wading through mud :cool: Got to get a new gate though...;)

[​IMG]

Mongo, ISKRA, abbydaddy and 10 others like this.
  12. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    ...and I'm not being disappointed ;)

Wurrwulf likes this.
  13. Jolipapa

Jolipapa Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 4, 2015
    This BB Dr is a gem, can't resist! :)
    I have been very lucky on the Porch and received enough gifts from many Great People to make several entries.
    But, my story is of the kind that happens once in your life...
    I'm riding the Commando, pillion wifey, reaching for a sunday club's outing in a village next to her birth place. We left home a good half an hour ago and ride quietly southward, crossing an industrial suburb.
    When the hack gets wobbly my misty brain (it is 6 am) immediately identifies that the rear wheel collected a nail and got a puncture.
    I manage to push the bike on the wide sidewalk. But :
    - I have no tool to mend the punctured tube (there' a sayin' here stating when you've just got your knife and your... you know, what makes men and women differ...);
    - the rendez-vous with friends is in a 1/4h;
    - no cell phone, we're in 1995, no booth, no house around;
    - temp is -7° (rare even in november, but this is Murphy's law...), rail yards both sides of the desert road.
    I 'm removing the back wheel when the only car we've seen makes a U turn. Driver is ok to take my wife to the nearest phone booth.
    (Here, the story is as told by her) the phone is in working order (a chance in such a desolated place) but needs a phone card...
    Then another car stops, the driver has a card and lets my wife use it and tell my friends to come with tube and gears...
    (Here I'm speaking again) meanwhile, the first driver rushes to a supermaket and comes back with my wife holding cautiously two hot coffees.
    We did not see any other car while waiting for our friends in his comfy car and he left us only when sure we can repair... The rest of the day was nice, meeting friends and eating good food, as usual...
    That day, an Angel had spread his wings over our heads...and on the monday morning I was buying a cell phone... ;)

crevaison.jpg

14. Wurrwulf

Dec 3, 2015
    I'm so glad I decided to check this thread over my morning cup of mud. Thank you to everyone who has shared a story, comment, or like. So heartwarming to hear these stories of guardian angel strangers and generosity among friends.

I hope to read many more!

15. Wurrwulf

Dec 3, 2015
    @Hickory n steel I'm so glad to hear that you and that little GEC have bonded so well! Nothing better than knowing a knife went to a good home.

veitsi_poika and CVamberbonehead like this.
  16. CVamberbonehead

CVamberbonehead Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2017
    I cant resist, Im in.
    I entered a GAW here once hoping to give a pocket knife to my nephew, and I didnt win. I thought that was that. After the GAW ended though, I got a message from a member here who sent me a nice little boy scout knife for my nephew, so I got to be a cool uncle lol.
    On another note, a farmer in my area recently gave away an entire field of potatoes to the community! These are pretty trying times lately but trying times bring out the best in people. :)

17. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    I don't share much personal stuff on line, so not an entry. However, thanks for your generosity.

John F. and veitsi_poika like this.
  18. Trvr

Trvr

Jun 21, 2020
    I've given away a couple of guitars to try and get people into music. I also bought my cousin a harmonica just because he mentioned that he wanted to learn how to play and I knew he wouldn't buy one for himself. I usually make a bigger deal about other people's generosity rather than my own though.
    A few things stand out in my memory. The first was a rifle (SMLE .303 Brit) that a friend of mine gave me. It belonged to his father who had passed away. My friend didn't have a firearms license, so I stored the gun for him. I thought he would get his license at some point. He ended up giving me the gun - I traded a set of weights for it, but he would have given it to me for nothing anyway. The same friend and his wife opened their home to me when I had nowhere else to go. My friend passed away quite young from skin cancer, and I always think about him when I use the rifle. It will be more valuable to me than any high end gun ever would be.
    Another friend gave me a bunch of film photography gear (cameras and darkroom equipment) that belonged to her father. She wanted it to be used instead of just sit on a shelf.
    I think the thing I like most about these gifts aren't the things themselves, but the fact that I'm reminded of the people that I am lucky enough to have in my life.
    Thanks for creating this GAW. It has given me another reason to think of those wonderful people.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mongo, Jack Black, abbydaddy and 7 others like this.
  19. glennbad

glennbad Knife Moddin' Fool Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 13, 2003
    Some wonderful stories of generosity! Not an entry for me, but I do have a story from my youth.

I was about 10 or 11, and we lived in a a trailer park in upstate NY. 4 of us kids, 2 parents, and a big dog. There wasn't much to go around, but we never went hungry or anything like that. It was right before Christmas, and the trailer next to us caught fire during the night and went up completely. A family of 3 or 4 kids, as I recall, and they lost everything. My parents let everyone stay at our place for the night. They had no clothes, so we gave them what we could that fit the kids. The park owners gave them an empty trailer to stay in short term, and neighbors up and down the street donated furniture, clothes, food, money, whatever anyone could afford to give. I seem to remember my mom telling me later that they even gave some of our Christmas presents to the family for the kids.

I don't think it really stood out to me at the time, the generosity from so many people, strangers and neighbors also.

20. Rookie82

Rookie82 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 25, 2014
    That is a very nice GAW prize. Not an entry for me, but hope that knife find a nice new home!

Wurrwulf likes this.