The "Farmcata" - Feed the Kami's Fund

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by bgz101, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Cotherion

Cotherion

Aug 7, 2007
    I'm done, now to wait patiently :)

Hope the efforts help keep HI alive :)

2. 7rip13a

7rip13a

Jul 2, 2009
    Ah, Cotherion just reminded me I hadn't paid yet. All fixed up, and now for the wait...:D

3. Cotherion

Cotherion

Aug 7, 2007
    Subtle am I not :)

Guys, get urs while they are hot! Actually they ain't been forged yet :)

4. bgz101

bgz101

Oct 6, 2010
    I'd like to bump this thread for the weekend.

If you know anyone who would like an awesome knife and who would like to help the kamis during this coal shortage, please tell them to visit this thread!

Have a great weekend everyone. Thank you everyone for ordering 'Farmcatas'.

5. Svashtar

Svashtar

Dec 28, 2003
    I completely agree. I'd actually just cut that part off with a scroll saw or hack saw, then use a 1x42 with coarse and then medium grit belts to round the whole thing off. A straight handle is all you need here, and that little hilt just gets in the way. On several kopis blades I have they have the same undercurving piece in brass, and if you have big hands it just serves to thump the living *&(^ out of your index finger every time you swing it.

I'm going to do my best to see if I can swing one of these myself. This is an excellent design and looks very functional. I'll take care of the handle mods if necessary.

Best,

Norm

P.S. Is this "farmcata" version the only one of this style being sold now? I take it the first ones (as demoed in his video by BFH44) were different? Was it just the handle or was the blade also curved differently? Haven't been paying proper attention, sorry. Thanks for any info.

N.

6. sarowe

sarowe

Feb 7, 2011
    BGZ,
    if I keep ordering HI knives and Michelle kicks me out, can I come live with you!

7. Karda

Karda Banned BANNED

Jun 1, 2007
    If i'm not mistaken this is the first we've seen of this version of the "Farm Knife". I cant even tell you when/how bgz101 got it, and i watch this place and the DOTD's everyday. The blade on the farm knife is a bit more curved, has a cho and the handle is different than the "Farmcata".

8. DanSmithy

DanSmithy

Jul 19, 2010
    You are correct.
    The 'original' farm-knife has more belly and the blade is more curved which makes it good for chopping too.
    The 'farmcata' is straighter bladed and with thinner spine so it should lend itself more to the kitchen chores than to serious chopping and slashing.
    I personally restrain myself from using even villager khuks in the kitchen due to the constant care and maintenance needed...but then again i'm a lazy [email protected]$t#rd.
    Stainless steel blades are a lazy boy's choice there:D
    Nevertheless, the farmcata is a beautiful designed knife.:thumbup:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011