1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

The humble little pen knife

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Hickory n steel, Nov 15, 2020.

1. stevekolt

stevekolt Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Well, I searched for "pen knife" on the DLT website, and it brought up Case Peanuts also, so here are a few of mine. The two carribean blue Peanuts are for a graduation gift to our oldest grandchild. Started a new tradition, each grandchild gets a Peanut at graduation, and grandpa gets a duplicate for the collection. ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Great pattern, and a fine tradition Steve, but Peanuts are small Serpentine Jack knives :) :thumbsup:

Ace Rimmer and scrteened porch like this.
  3. stevekolt

Jan 9, 2007
    Jack, ah, my bad....

slickherb likes this.
  4. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    No worries Steve, when I was a youngster, we called all small knives 'penknives' :) If you ever get a chance to pick up a copy, the Blades Guide to Knives & Their Values series are a great primer on pocket knife patterns. I'm afraid I don't have a link, but I think you can read at least one edition free online at Google Books, and while Bernard Levine's 4th edition is the best, the other, less expensive, editions, are equally good in terms of pattern descriptions :thumbsup:

5. stevekolt

Jan 9, 2007
    Thanks!

Jack Black likes this.
  6. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    As many normal people still do.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I hope this isn't big enough to be a double-end jack instead of a pen.

7. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Wedgeway and Thos A Bowles Chicago
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  8. drj211

drj211 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 26, 2008
    No pen blade, but I’m going to throw this one in here. I wish Ken was still making them!
    5043EA25-2558-48B1-B19A-D6B3BFFBA297.jpeg

9. seas165

seas165 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2014
    I got my first schrade 752 in the box o knives gaw here on the forum and it was an old advertising knife from the old mill in the town next to where i grew up. I have spent many days running around the old mill buildings and properties. Since i have started a bit of a collection. Notice the slight differences, the swedge on the main blade. I hope this qualifys as a pen, its about 3 3/8 but very slim and. Great little knife. 20201124_193206_copy_756x1008.jpg 20201124_193125_copy_756x1008.jpg

10. Tigerden

Tigerden Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 1, 2019
    Case 1960's era and a Case from 1980

IMG_1819.jpg

11. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Those are special knives :) The main reason that I collect the Sheffield Ruler Knives is that they are usually made using Chesterman rulers, and several members of my family, including my grandmother and great grandmother, worked at the factory, which was close to where I grew up :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My dad worked for Richards of Sheffield when I was a kid :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. ed_is_dead

ed_is_dead Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Those ruler knives seem to be quite collectable, seen them advertised for high prices.
    Love the new in box Richards, you have other new in box stuff I've seen iirc?

Jack Black likes this.
  13. Old Hunter

Old Hunter Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Whether penknife or jackknife, with those two blades I have everything I need in a pocketknife. Very nice example you have there! OH

Will Power likes this.
  14. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    I'd expect that Stan Shaw Ruler Knife to be on the pricey side! :D ;) Thanks, I have a few, including some I've already posted here, but they wouldn't all fit in this thread. Here's an interesting Penknife by TEW, with one stainless blade and one in carbon :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

15. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
  16. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
  17. ed_is_dead

Dec 2, 2010
    Isint it funny to see nylon being (rightly) praised for traits we take for granted today. Anytime I drop a horn/stag handle knife on a hard floor surface I wince in expectation...
    What's the dealio with the carbon and stainless blades? Stainless for food/fruit and carbon for good old utility and ease of sharpening?

Here is a weird example of a ruled fruit blade from Needham
    https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/729...ing&ref=sr_gallery-1-7&organic_search_click=1
    Saucy money!

Can I ask you a question regarding quality in the Sheffield cutlery market of yester year? The following is an amateur perspectives and from a general pov...
    I have Taylor Eye Witness examples which seem a touch utilitarian but with stout build.
    Examples from Richards seem budget but bang for buck.
    Wostenholm seem a step above both?
    But Turner, G Butler, Lockwood Bros and Needham pieces seem on a different level. I know I'm not comparing like with like as there is decades in manufacturing knowledge and techniques between some of these but taking the G Butler splitback whittler and comparing it to my hairy arsed eye witness and its obvious there is a different company mindset at play.
    Jack, who do rate or prefer and why and quality wise which Cutker do you consistently see best work from?

18. ed_is_dead

Dec 2, 2010
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Speaking of nice quality. Love the liners.

19. sailfish

sailfish Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 1, 2019
    Pen knives have been more of a recent venture for me in the past year. I really like them. They almost seem like the quintessential everyday traditional pattern.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Will Power

Will Power Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Böker, Germany Rostfrei

[​IMG]