The Members Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by KiwiBloke, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Oh... I should've read more carefully...:confused:. I'll blame it on the pain meds...

DB_Cruiser, Fmont and phantomknives like this.
  2. JD Spydo

JD Spydo

Nov 20, 2004
    Hey I've got a quick question for many of you who are very knowledgeable about axes and hatchets>> I have a Sears Craftman hatchet that I got all the way back to the mid 80s. It's built similar to how Estwing axes and hatchets are built. Over the years I've asked people who made those Sears Craftsman hatchets with no one really knowing for sure. It actually looks like it's got a stainless blade on it of all things. But the construction of it is very similar to that of Estwing tools.

Anyone who could tell me who made those hatchets for Sears Craftsman in the mid 1980s I would appreciate it.

Fmont likes this.
  3. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    Vaughan
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vaughan-hatchet-13-hiking-hunting-1816906981

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    Fmont and Yankee Josh like this.
  4. VintageAxe

VintageAxe

Mar 12, 2011
    Mallet photo:
    [​IMG]
    Head is 7" long, 5" wide, white oak. I did a blind mortise and wedged and glued the hammer handle in. So far so good. Much bigger and it would be pretty awkward but this is still usable. Someday I want to make one out of some laminated mountain mahogany.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  5. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    I figured I'd post your picture for you;
    [​IMG]
    Nice job by the way! It's a good looking mallet!

npace and Fmont like this.
  6. VintageAxe

VintageAxe

Mar 12, 2011
    Thanks! Got it fixed now, I'm about as rusty as that axe was on posting photos here.

npace and Fmont like this.
  7. JD Spydo

JD Spydo

Nov 20, 2004
    I believe you hit the nail on the head. I went to that link you posted and it's the exact one I've got that was Sears Craftsman. I sure field dressed a lot of bucks over the years with that hatchet. That Craftsman hatchet would open up a buck's rib cage so easy it was incredible. That hatchet was always really easy to keep sharp as well.

That's really ironic in a way that it was made by Vaughn because I have 3 carpenter's hammers made by Vaughn and they have been great over the years. I also have one of their "Wonder Bars" ( Nail puller bar) and it's a great tool as well. They are like Collins in that you don't hear them mentioned much but they do make great tools. thanks for the great information.

8. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    I've heard that, too. But that doesn't look like the Mexico stuff I've seen. It looks like the India stuff. But who knows for sure.

crbnSteeladdict and Fmont like this.
  9. junkenstien

junkenstien Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 15, 2017
    The local ace hardware looks to be replacing the link handles with truper flat board handles,prices stayed the same.

10. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    I noticed the same exact thing at one of the major local hardware stores/lumber yard. These prices also stayed the same.

crbnSteeladdict and Fmont like this.
  11. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    :( That sucks.

12. FLINT77

FLINT77

Apr 8, 2013
    I have also noticed the same thing at the ace in my town. ☹️☹️☹️

Fmont likes this.
  13. Fmont

Fmont Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2017
    God I hate those things. At least with Link there was an off chance you could get a usable handle. The Trupers are a literal waste of wood.

14. FLINT77

FLINT77

Apr 8, 2013
    yeah, for a while, my ACE had some really LINK nice 32" bent axe handles. I snatched up a few of them. The LINK 36" handles were like clubs.

then I think the 36" and 28" handles went to the Truper garbage, and the price of the 32" handles went up to $20+

15. A17

A17

Jan 9, 2018
    I figured I'd re-route my bar length question directed at @Old Axeman to this thread and throw up a pair of pics featuring the 075 and 056 I mentioned. Also, if any of you can ID the middle saw in the 2nd pic, you'll get 10,000 bonus points!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Fmont

Apr 20, 2017
    There's an ace here that has (had?) a good array of Link handles, even boys axe. The rub was they all had bad grain, and they were all over $30.

I saw something earlier suggesting Link might be in serious trouble. Apparently Barco has closed doors as well. I'd love to have backing and rights to the Kelly name. Group buy? :D

17. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    Got the carb kit, gonna get the switch, chains freed up,
    Carb's in the cleaner and the silver spoon,
    Little boy blue and the man in the moon

Sorry, little scatterbrained

Square_peg, Fmont, A17 and 1 other person like this.
  18. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    In related news: Perfect75 formerly known as Operator75 is liquidating parts of his axe collection and buying Kelly Axe Co naming rights :p

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    Square_peg, Fmont, Meek1 and 2 others like this.
  19. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    Hes what

Fmont and Yankee Josh like this.
  20. Fmont

Apr 20, 2017
    wait what

whoa