The "Mini/Micro" knife discussion

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by cchu518, Oct 7, 2018.

1. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Maybe definitions need to be addressed (blade length, closed length). Some mini's are more medium sized knives. What's large and what's micro?

2. I'mSoSharp

I'mSoSharp

Mar 8, 2011
    This small enough? :)

[​IMG]

3. cchu518

cchu518 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2013
    ^ that's too small for me but ymmv lol.

I absolutely love the mini presidio in 440c. Sadly that was the knife that I was using at the time when I found out what DMT stones were and also that you needn't apply too much pressure when sharpening. I wore down that poor knife in 6 months.

For me a mini knife is really any sub 3 " blade .I consider a native, mini presidio just a regular everyday compact blade.

4. cchu518

Mar 6, 2013
    Thata a bit small for me, lol.

For me a mini knife is anything with a sub 3 inch blade. I absolutely loved the mini Presidio unfortunately that was the knife that I was carrying the most when I discovered DMT stones I sharpened that poor mini Presidio in 440c for 6 months rather aggressively learning how to Apex edges and remove wire beads. I might have prematurely wore out that knife while learning how to sharpen.

I'd also consider a native a full sized knife.

5. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Ti anodizing, and mods Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    The amount of figure on that tiny scale is amazing!

A.L. and I'mSoSharp like this.
  6. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    That new Spyderco McBee looks to be quite a micro knife.

My smallest folder is probably my Kizer Feist and I love small concealable fixed blades my smallest of which is my Perrin Le Shark.

7. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    The smallest knife I routinely carry is my Schrade Old Timer 30T. I don’t think I have any pictures of it. Just a little carbon steel lock back. I love the shite out of it though. Built right, no blade play in either direction, so even though it’s a whole 3” I feel secure using it.

8. cchu518

Mar 6, 2013
    Schrade 30t and 50t are total classics!

9. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    I have both a 30T and a 50T (USA made). I like them too. The 30T was an office gift years ago from one of my associates. I carried it for a while, and then switched to a SAK mostly about then. Carried a 250T when working in the field.

cchu518 likes this.
  10. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    I'd say so. That thing is really cute. I guess it's designed for key chain use. Micro....

I'mSoSharp likes this.
  11. I'mSoSharp

I'mSoSharp

Mar 8, 2011
    Yes, it's quite fine, the wood is Briar.

I made it, it now hangs round the neck of the lady I love ;). Edit - see post 78! :)

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/tiny-slipjoint.1602128/

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    Storm 8593, A.L., Mikael W and 3 others like this.
  12. cchu518

Mar 6, 2013
    You made that little guy!

Really cool!

Edit and follow up question was that small of a blade difficult to heat treat/grind out an edge?

I'mSoSharp likes this.
  13. Lee48

Lee48

Apr 29, 2005
    I like small knives but not too small. The Dragonfly is my favorite and it's the smallest I consider useful--for me. Recently, I've discovered the Hogue small knives--MicroSwitch and MicroFlip. I normally avoid flippers but the Hogue is just so damn nice I couldn't resist. And the switchblade model is a lot of fun as well has having super fit and finish.

Owen K. likes this.
  14. cchu518

Mar 6, 2013
    I just did a google search. Goood job Hogue at getting that thing to be 3 ounces! I find that I have a pocket weight limit of right around 3 ounces, but when an edc is well under 3 ounces I tend to carry it a lot more.

15. I'mSoSharp

I'mSoSharp

Mar 8, 2011
    Easier, it's O1 carbon steel so I used files to shape it as it's so small & a blowtorch is more than enough to quench/harden it, tempering in the oven is the same no matter what size blade.

16. cchu518

Mar 6, 2013
    That's awesome for some reason I was picturing you at the grinder with that little blade held in a pair of channel locks.

I think I've been watchng too much Forged in Fire, lol.

kbirk2003 and I'mSoSharp like this.
  17. Weedhopper

Weedhopper

Mar 17, 2014
    Benchmade Impel Lerch.....

18. aquaman67

aquaman67

Jan 27, 2012
    My “baby” knives include a Benchmade Aphid and a Spyderco Squeak (Titanium Sprint Run)

I really like the Squeak. It has an ELMAX blade and feels really solid in the hand for something so small. I carry it to special functions where whipping out something bigger might make someone faint.

Steve1950 likes this.
  19. SharpieB

SharpieB

Oct 31, 2017
    I have a Spyderco Bug and it is tiny. Perfect for on a keychain for the odd cut, but stupid small.

The Case Texas Toothpick and the Spyderco Ladybug are the smallest knives I actually use.

20. cchu518

Mar 6, 2013
    [​IMG]

Here's a mini/micro knife situation where the little Alox is handier than the other two bigger knives.

Storm 8593, microbe and kbirk2003 like this.