1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

The Missing Pages in the HI Catalog

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Nicholas, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Nicholas

Nicholas

Apr 1, 2009
    Thanks, guys. I'll have to start a "Ch. 1B" for kukris, which will mostly require assembling some text........

2. sta94

sta94

Jul 7, 2008
    A lot of limited-edition pieces in there, huh?! I'd love to get a Jange along with a Shamsher.

A Chainpure is basically a Chitlange without the chirra. It's a popular style in Eastern Nepal, as well as parts of the Indian Himalayas with Nepalese population. I don't remember seeing too many from HI, although the other manufacturers from Nepal churn out a lot of these.

Sending you pm with further info. Best of luck with this project!

3. sta94

sta94

Jul 7, 2008
    Yeah, like Nicholas said, the 80s band, although first thing that popped in my mind when I read your sentence was "Major Major" from Catch 22!!!

Beoram, also, thanks for the additional information.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  4. sta94

sta94

Jul 7, 2008
    Gator97, your albums always leave me wide eyed & drooling! Fantastic photos of superb khukuris!

5. Nicholas

Nicholas

Apr 1, 2009
    Yes, I'd forgotten about the Zknives page as a source of information; I actually found the "Junge" there. Alas, no info, and I don't dare copy their pictures.

The good news is, the 18th Century and Balance already up, so that's two tasks down. And is the "Salyan Special" the same as the Uncle Bill Especial?

6. sta94

sta94

Jul 7, 2008
    Nicholas, I don't think the Salyan Special and the Uncle Bill Especial (UBE) is the same thing. There is an "Uncle Bill Memorial Salyan" however.

Here’s a recent post by Steve Ferguson that shows really awesome examples of the Uncle Bill Memorial Salyan and the Hanshee, also called the Crescent Moon or Crescent Moon Sirupate:
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651161

And in this post, looks like this is when the Crescent Moon first arrived on the scene, I prefer the one in the above link:
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=506775&highlight=hanshee+crescent+moon

7. nagod

nagod

Jun 29, 2005
    dont forget the baby ube or the larger ultimate fighter

8. Karda

Karda Banned BANNED

Jun 1, 2007
    The Original Salyan, which is the H.I. trademark Icon is shown at the top of the website page and various place around the site. A large pic is at the top of the second page of the "First Khukuri" sticky. This was a gift to Uncle bill and started the H.I. business. There were a couple of runs of a "Super Salyans" made, which were a large version of this knife.
    reference here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614584&highlight=Salyan
    After his passing, several Runs of U.B. Memorial Salyans were made in honor of him. They were made roughly to specs of the original.

The Uncle Bill Especiale was a honorary knife made by the Kami's to give to Uncle Bill. It can be found about 1/2 ay down on both these pages.
    http://www.himalayan-imports.com/khuk2.html
    http://www.himalayan-imports.com/faq/Variants.htm

Here is a search engine that will hopefully be of some help.
    http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=011197018607028182644:qfobr3dlcra

9. Yangdu

Yangdu [email protected] Himalayan Imports-Owner Moderator

Apr 5, 2005
    The Bagh Marne from Uncle Bill's collection
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Buduney Khukuri by Bura
    [​IMG]

10. Nicholas

Nicholas

Apr 1, 2009
    Thank you, Mrs. Martino; I'll get them up, as fast as I can.

11. Nicholas

Nicholas

Apr 1, 2009
    PACHTHAR
    [​IMG]
    "This very unusual scabbard is made of light colored wood wrapped round with bamboo threads. Devengari script on scabbard means Kami Kesar Pachthar.
    I, personally, had not seen such a scabbard until my visit to the shop in Nepal and felt it worthy to be offered to you, my discriminating customers. I hope you agree with me."
    ----Bill Martino

SALYAN
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  12. Nicholas

Nicholas

Apr 1, 2009
    BAGH MARNE
    [​IMG]

BAMBOO CUTTER
    [​IMG]
    The Bamboo Cutter – A Special Knife

While traveling west of Nepal, along the road to Pokhara village, I could not miss the bamboo forests that dotted the countryside. The bamboo was as tall as some trees and each stalk was several inches thick.

The villagers use the bamboo to make household and farm products, as well as to build the actual huts they used for various purposes on their farms. The bamboo was very tough to cut and they need a special knife to harvest what they need for their daily use.

Cutting the tough bamboo stalks into sections 4" to 6" long, the villagers hollow out the bamboo and make drinking cups for their own households. Beautiful woven baskets can be seen in many a shop or villager's homes, a perfect example of their creative talents.

Some local craftsmen make musical flutes from the bamboo and the tunes they play can be heard coming from their homes as they relax after the evening meal.

This knife has been used by villagers living near a stand of bamboo for decades. We have been fortunate to get a supply of that same tough
    bamboo cutter knife they use every day and can offer them to you now.

--Yangdu Martino

BURA GOOL KNIFE
    [​IMG]

CHAINPURI
    [​IMG]

CHANDRIKA
    [​IMG]

CLEAVER
    [​IMG]

D1 KNIFE
    [​IMG]

JUNGLE KNIFE
    [​IMG]

KERAMBIT
    [​IMG]

LAXMI PUJA SPECIAL
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  13. Nicholas

Nicholas

Apr 1, 2009
    N-2 KNIFE ("Vaquero")
    [​IMG]

PANUTI
    [​IMG]
    Yangdu discovered this uniquely functional blade during her 2009 trip to Nepal. While visiting Sgt. Khadka kami in his home village of Panuti, she saw a very sharp knife being used by the young men in the village to chop tree limbs. Others were using the same knife to chop wood for their households. The way they used that knife to get the job done was so amazing and impressive that she didn't forget it.
    She knew she had to have it for her customers and friends and so, right after the trip, she told the Kamis about it. Now, this most special and functional knife is available to HI's customers.
    Overall length --18 1/8''
    Blade length --12''
    Weight --38 oz
    Spine thickness 1/2''

R1 & R2 KNIVES
    [​IMG]
    LEFT: R1 "Stick Knife"
    RIGHT: R2 "Jungle Killer"

R3 KNIFE
    [​IMG]

R4 KNIFE
    [​IMG]

R5 KNIFE
    [​IMG]

R6 KNIFE
    [​IMG]

R7 KNIFE
    [​IMG]

R8 KNIFE
    [​IMG]

R9 KNIFE (at bottom)
    [​IMG]

14. Nicholas

Nicholas

Apr 1, 2009
    R10 KNIFE
    [​IMG]

R11 knife
    [​IMG]

TRISUL ("Nepali Boot Knife")
    [​IMG]
    Overall length -- 14''
    Weight -- 13 oz
    Spine thickness -- 1/4''

ULTIMATE FIGHTER
    [​IMG]

VALA SPEAR KNIFE ("Smatchet")
    [​IMG]
    Echoing the "Smatchet" knives carried by Australian troops in WWII, this massive, double-edged blade measures 11" long, with total length coming to 16.5". An impressive blade for the lover of militaria.

----
    BURA BOWIES
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MOUNTAIN BOWIE
    [​IMG]

"MYSTERY" BOWIE
    [​IMG]

15. Nicholas

Nicholas

Apr 1, 2009
    All right, this should be the last of it. (After Yangdu recently thanked me for doing this, I figured I should finally finish up.) However, we're missing a LOT of text and exposition!
    -----
    DRAGON INDONESIAN SWORD
    [​IMG]
    Overall length -- 28''
    Weight -- 47 oz
    Spine thickness -- 3/8''
    Single dragon engraved on one side of blade by Narayan
    Steel guard
    Full tang
    Standard leather scabbard

DUKTI SWORD
    [​IMG]
    Overall length --26.5''
    Weight -- 32 oz
    Double edge blade
    Brass guard
    Full tang
    Single Himalayan Pheasant(Danphe) carved in both sides of satisal wood handle
    Standard leather scabbard

The Pheasant, or Danphe, is the national bird of Nepal, and is well known for its bright colors. It is a stout, Himalayan pheasant and can be seen in the high-altitude region of Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Conservation Area, Langtang national park, etc. It is protected in national parks, and under wildlife conservation acts.

MANJUSHREE SWORD
    [​IMG]

TARWAR
    [​IMG]

UDDHA SWORD
    Full-tang version
    [​IMG]

Hidden-tang version
    [​IMG]

"WAJASKI" SWORD
    [​IMG]
    Our playfully mispronounced (but well-crafted) HI version of the Japanese, wakizashi, this is the natural companion to the HI Katana.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  16. Khuku'nut

Khuku'nut

May 28, 2009
    Awesome work! Thank you very much for this massive task.

And there are some amazing blades shown there.

17. Nicholas

Nicholas

Apr 1, 2009
    I think it's fairly remarkable (now that I've seen it) just how much variety this company displays in its works.

18. lal chatri

lal chatri

Sep 2, 2008
    hi guys
    you know if i didnt know any better that ultimate fighter and my chukerie
    are one and the same knife?

19. Nicholas

Nicholas

Apr 1, 2009
    All right. It's a lazy, Friday afternoon, and I'm working on that "Grid" idea that I based on Wolf_1989's system for classifying khuk use. At the very least, I think that I can add two pieces of info to each khukuri:

A) The Tool/Weapon Factor ("TWF") that Wolf created, and
    B) The type of warranty that it's under: Field Use, General Use, or Display Only.

I still need some, "TWF" info on the following items:

Buduney
    Boomerang
    Dhankuta*
    Foxy Folly
    Katunje
    Kothimoda*
    Sherpa Style
    Tamang
    YCS

....and probably a few others. Remember, I understand the warranty type; I just need opinions on the TWF.

(Items with and asterisk* are Display Only warranties, just to show that I've got that covered.)