The new Smith & Sons Mudbug run

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by el gigantor, Sep 24, 2020.

1. el gigantor

el gigantor Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 5, 2015
    Who else managed to snag one when they were available? Is it going to be a user or a collector piece for you? Which colour micarta did you select?

I got a shipping notification this morning but I live in the middle of nowhere in Canada, so I’ll probably be waiting a while to receive it. A large locking Sodbuster is perfection as far as I’m concerned. I chose the natural micarta. I’d love to hear from others who are a fan of the Mudbug, and pictures would be fantastic if you’ve got some to share!

-Daniel

tmd_87, A.S., mnblade and 1 other person like this.
  2. mnblade

mnblade

Feb 7, 2000
    They're a little out of my budgetary comfort-zone, but they're great looking knives for sure!

-- Mark

3. Deinos

Deinos Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2016
    I just snagged one today from the newest run. Really looking forward to trying it out, as I have wanted one for a couple years now. Will most definitely be a user.

4. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    They did another run???
    GEC is really kicking out the SFOs for a company that said they weren't doing any more. :confused:

mrknife likes this.
  5. Deinos

Feb 7, 2016
    Based on S&S's facebook post, sounds like it was inventory they were having trouble getting out because of the hurricanes Laura and Delta moving through.

el gigantor, southriv and JohnDF like this.
  6. southriv

southriv Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2002
    That’s it - been rough down there. One windy deluge after another makes it a challenge to keep the roof on, much less run a day to day business...

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    el gigantor and Deinos like this.
  7. mrknife

mrknife Gold Member Gold Member

May 9, 2010
    if you missed it, theyre are already being flipped you know where :rolleyes:

8. A.S.

A.S. Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 8, 2017
    I went ahead and bought a Natural and a Maroon since this is the last run of Mudbugs. One for my pocket and one to put up for a future backup or gift. The Mudbug really are an excellent sized blade once you start carrying them. The quality is fantastic! They are on the large size for a folder, but slim enough to hide in your pocket.

el gigantor likes this.
  9. Deinos

Feb 7, 2016
    Anyone have a recommendation for a good pocket slip for these? Saw the belt sheath, but not sure that is the route I want to go... Thanks!

el gigantor likes this.
  10. southriv

Feb 28, 2002
    ...Either one from GEC or Mike at Collector knives has some good ones, too

el gigantor, Deinos and knifeswapper like this.
  11. BuckShack

BuckShack Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 19, 2015
    I picked one up in natural micarta. I never thought that would be possible! I'm going to use it, I expect a lot. :)

A.S. and el gigantor like this.
  12. Spock91

Spock91 Gold Member Gold Member

May 11, 2017
    Already had the natural micarta and marron ordered the OD green for the full set.

[​IMG]

A.S., tmd_87, BuckShack and 2 others like this.
  13. knife_fan

knife_fan Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2012
    I would love one, but just can't justify the mark up on them. The Bull Buster is almost as good, for half the price.

JohnDF likes this.
  14. southriv

Feb 28, 2002
    ...maybe last year, but now they are all gone. Asking prices on the bay for a 21 or 71 can (unbelievably) be over 300 and selling prices are generally well over the the Mud Bug list. On the FS traditionals sub forum, however, you can often find one at a better price, but you have to be quick! Mud1.jpg Mud2.jpg

Another things to consider, which are important to many, is that the MB scales are not as thick. That is probably the most significant - next would be operation (liner lock) - and to some the difference in finish (high polish on the scales and no blade etch).

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    Spock91, BuckShack, A.S. and 2 others like this.
  15. el gigantor

Oct 5, 2015
    This is totally subjective, but I'm more than willing to pay extra for a backlock as opposed to a non-locking slipjoint. Added security/peace of mind..

A.S. and southriv like this.
  16. el gigantor

Oct 5, 2015
    The GECs don't have a liner lock though....?

southriv likes this.
  17. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Bull is the key word to describe this whole thread.

Stelth likes this.
  18. el gigantor

Oct 5, 2015
    Why? I was excited that my favourite traditional pattern was available again and wanted to see if others felt the same.

southriv and Deinos like this.
  19. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Mudbug - Red Linen Micarta on a tin roof for a little experiment I did on Micarta fading.

[​IMG]

All cleaned up after the test.

[​IMG]

Bloefield, BuckShack, JohnDF and 5 others like this.
  20. el gigantor

Oct 5, 2015
    That is amazing! I can’t believe how well it endured. The blade looks fine and the micarta appears to be almost brand new.