The Spydie Addiction Begins...

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Jason Wolf, May 24, 2020.

1. Jason Wolf

Jason Wolf Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2020
    My name is Jason and I am now a Spyderco addict.

I've been in the world of knives for most of my life and always avoided spydies for some reason. I finally decided to give it a try and bought a Tenacious with g10 handles and I am in love. If their 40 dollar knife is this fantastic then I can't imagine something like a paramilitary 2.
    What are your favorite spydies you've owned? I'm in the market for another Spyderco!

2. Troutzill

Troutzill Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Spydercos are great knives. I recommend you spend some time in the Spyderco sub forum, that should keep you busy for hours

Roy Batty, colin.p and Jason Wolf like this.
  3. GB940Rookie

GB940Rookie Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2016
    Hi Jason. Welcome. Spydies are addicting. The Para 2 is one that you will definitely need to try out.

Ippon98, Roy Batty and Jason Wolf like this.
  4. numbersman

numbersman

Nov 28, 2010
    Welcome to the club, the Spyderhole is one of the great inventions! Some great Spydies to own are the PM2, or if you have small to medium size hands, the Native 5 is an awesome choice! And for a small knife, I like the Dragonfly.

Roy Batty likes this.
  5. JeremiahWeaver09

JeremiahWeaver09

Nov 13, 2009
    the tenacious is one of the budget models, their japanese and usa made spydercos are even better. try a basic endura, delica, manix, or native. if you want something bigger go for the military or police.

the military is one of my all time favorites, ive carried one as part of the rotation since the mid 2000s. i like it much better than the paramilitary as i like the larger size and i like the liner lock more than the paramilitary compression lock.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  6. sv4

sv4

Feb 13, 2014
    Give the Para 3 lightweight a go. You won't regret it! :)

Tigerden likes this.
  7. glockfire

glockfire Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Welcome Jason. I've owned quite a few Spydies, from the super steel models to the Tenacious line. I recently bought a Persistence (same steel/materials as the Tenacious) as a birthday gift for my brother in law and I am very impressed with its quality vs price ratio! In fact I wish they would make one out of S30V as it's a really nice design.

As far as my favorite Spydies, my PM2 (on the way back from a customizer with green micarta, acid/stonewash blade, and bronzed hardware) certainly ranks up there. I do enjoy my Millie's and my Yo II as well.

marcus52AR likes this.
  8. JupiterPaladin

JupiterPaladin Gold Member Gold Member

May 4, 2016
    @Jason Wolf I have been into knives for around 34 years now. Not much in the first 30 years of much value greater than some lower end Kabar and Buck knives. I had lost a screw from my first modern knife, sadly a cheap Smith & Wesson linerlock with thumbstud. I carried it for 6 or 7 years every day before that, so I made the mistake of looking for knife info for new models. Big mistake! I got the Spyderco suggestions but I thought the leaf shaped blades and holes looked weird so I avoided them. One day I put a Delica in my hand to see what the fuss was about. It was seconds and "click" I get it! The form for function design is something I appreciate and boy did I go down the rabbit hole after that! I can say that my Endura 4 FFG in the plain old VG-10 has gotten over 50% of my carry rotation since I got it in 2016. Hit the Exchange and pick up some used ones!

Insipid Moniker likes this.
  9. Korean Hog

Korean Hog Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2017
    Delica/ Endura in all their iterations
    Dragonfly
    Military/ PM2
    Manix 2
    Fully Serrated Salt Series is awesome.
    The usefullness and convenience of a Ladybug will shock you!

Basically any that catch your eye! I've never picked up a Spyderco that was dull or uncomfortable.
    Some I like better than others at different times for differnent reasons, but every Spyderco I've held and/ or
    used was at the very least comfortable and sharp. I can't say the same about every knife from any other company.
    Every new knife I've handled, regardless of brand, had an edge on it, sure, but they weren't razor sharp like every doggone Spyderco I've picked up.

Boxer .45, Feca10ne and DangerZone98 like this.
  10. Murphjd25

Murphjd25 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2016
    My “problem” started with Spyderco. It quickly got out of hand with the likes of CRK and RHK. Be careful LOL

11. Skar

Skar

Mar 24, 2020
    I have your same story; I've had knives for 35 years and always avoided spyderco.
    I disliked how they looked and I thought they looked small and overpriced.

Couple days ago I saw a manix 2 with red scales for sale.
    All of a sudden I liked it and bought one as soon as it came out.

I haven't had it long; yet it has become my favorite knife.

JupiterPaladin likes this.
  12. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    Love my Manix 2 and my Para 3. However, it was the Endura 4 that really started my knife journey. Spydercos make excellent EDC knives.

13. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    my fav spydie is the cpm-m4 beauty called 'gayle bradley 2'

(also own an old delica in vg10)

GatorFlash1 and taste.blade like this.
  14. V-1

V-1

Apr 14, 1999
    I think you would be very happy with a Paramilitary 2. If you think you would like it, try it! It's an extremely well designed and manufactured piece.
    Good luck with your adventure into Spyderco. They have so many awesome current and former designs you will be busy for a long time.

15. Cowboyfromhell666

Cowboyfromhell666

May 13, 2019
    My first spyderco was a PM2 s30v....the rest is history. I know have over a dozen spydies in 8 different steels!...just in one year. Plus it turned me into a knife guy and I have ZT,Benchmade, CRK TOO!

16. jfk1110

jfk1110 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 9, 2013
    My all time favorite was a Vallotin sub-hilt converted to double action by Mr. Vallotin.himself! Just a solid, smooth eye catching knife! Wish I didn't sell it. At the moment, I am definitely enjoying.my pattada. Nice long blade, good handle and just melts into your pocket!! I'm also a fan of the N690 steel used!! Stuff takes a.great edge and is easy.to keep it that way!!
    Enjoy the.rabbit hole you have just.entered!

James

Aryan29 likes this.
  17. skyhorse

skyhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Welcome Jayson. You are on a path well traveled.Spyderco makes so many models with everyone and purpose in mind. I'd suggest looking at the Para 2 and Sharpmaker as well.:thumbsup:

GB940Rookie likes this.
  18. Danno4017

Danno4017

Jan 8, 2007
    When I first came across Spyderco I was not a fan of the look of them.
    I now have more Spydercos than any other brand of knife.
    Quality and value.

19. soc_monki

soc_monki Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 5, 2019
    The tenacious line is a great collection of knives. American spydies are on a whole new level though. Love my Manix 2, Pm2s, Para 3s, and Native Chief. However my favorite is the Amalgam, a Taichung knife. The Taichung plant produces some of the best spydercos. Try some, you won't be disappointed!

Just be careful, it's a slippery slope!

20. GatorFlash1

GatorFlash1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2012
    Hi Jason -

You are doomed bro! This forum is the only place to get help with your addiction. I'll say a prayer for you.

Back in the olden days of knives, for me at least, I bought an outrageously expensive (at least for me) Gerber Paul knife that opened one handed by a using a button and gravity. It had a locking mechanism that would not fail. It was something to fiddle around with while waiting to cut something up. It was all metal. My next knife knife purchase was the SpyderEdge Spyderco Delica, amazing bit of cutlery.

My advice if getting into Spydercos is to watch out for all the fake ones being sold. It is really hard to tell some of them are fake and buying from BF dealers or members is the way to not get stiffed.

My edc is a Spyderco Gayle Bradley 1. It is the only edc I will ever need for work around the house, shop, property, etc. The sharpening tool that I found to be quick, easy, and gives a good cutting edge is the Spyderco SharpMaker sharpener. You should get one of these. Watch the four-part video by the Spyderco founder as he explains the history of trying to get a cutting edge on a tool. It is very informative.

GB940Rookie and jfk1110 like this.