1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Benchmade 535 Bugout, Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 16 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

The Swords of HI

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by DannyinJapan, Jan 11, 2006.

1. paua

paua

Jun 16, 2008
    This thread has too many good pictures to be kept away from people without search function.

2. C.S. Graves

C.S. Graves

Jun 13, 2006
    As many Tarwar pics as have already been posted, here's my villager by Bura, with Kumar Karda by Kumar himself for comparison:

[​IMG]

How sweet 'dey is! :D

3. moogoogaidan

moogoogaidan

Feb 21, 2009
    i have a smooth handled tarwar but have noticed that most have the carved rings in the middle. how would i go about adding those rings myself -- i like the look better and imagine it would help a bit with grip.

4. kronckew

kronckew

Aug 17, 2003
    [​IMG]
    you use a bow lathe :D

5. b.c.molin

b.c.molin

Nov 28, 2008
    HI Manjushree Sword #1: 27.5 inch/26 ounce.
    This was the first example of this model to be sold on 11-15-2004. It was purchased from the original owner, Ben Sweet. The photo's were taken by him too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. MLarson

MLarson

Dec 6, 2009
    Wow, that is a beauty!

7. Abaniko

Abaniko

Jun 2, 2006
    Very Nice, BC. Congratulations! :thumbup:

8. C.S. Graves

C.S. Graves

Jun 13, 2006
    Oh man, that's the best lookin' Manjushree I've seen!

9. sweet

sweet

Nov 11, 1999
    I'm happy she went to a good home:thumbup:

This one I hand picked from Yangdu & Uncles place during a break at the Reno Konvention

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. ThePepperhead

ThePepperhead

Apr 8, 2007
    I would LOVE a manjushree sword like that, except with a horn hilt.

11. b.c.molin

b.c.molin

Nov 28, 2008
    Many thanks for the kind comments.

I intent to keep this beautiful example of Sher Kami's talent in as good condition as Ben has done.

12. BFH44

BFH44

Nov 3, 2010
    that is a beautiful piece if work

13. DannyinJapan

DannyinJapan

Oct 9, 2003
    God I was so arrogant. I wish I could delete all those posts. Anyway, 2011 I will try to start over fresh and rebuild my HI collection. I've already sent a special order request to Yangdu for a DIJ tarwar. We'll see how it turns out in the spring.

14. moogoogaidan

moogoogaidan

Feb 21, 2009
    What's a DIJ Tarwar?

15. Duzzy

Duzzy

Sep 1, 2009
    DIJ=DannyinJapan

16. DannyinJapan

DannyinJapan

Oct 9, 2003
    If the kamis do it right, you'll see soon enough! No huge changes, just subtle adjustments to certain angles...

17. JayGoliath

JayGoliath

Mar 27, 2010
    Danny & gang,

Has anyone ever fancy a fullered Tarwar with chiruwa handle?

18. DaBird

DaBird

Jan 3, 2006
    WOW --- what a GREAT THREAD and as a "newby" , I did not know that HI made so many nice swords in the past.

I would request that some of the owners repost your photos as there asr more then 1/2 the photos that just show a red X.

19. steeldust

steeldust

Aug 3, 2005
    I agree. Can't have too many pics of cool swords, especially of the ones that are no longer made!

20. HighCarbon&Caliber

HighCarbon&Caliber

Mar 31, 2012
    I don't claim any special expertise here, but my understanding is that the main battlefield weapon of a samurai during this period would be a spear or naginata (glaive). Thus, the use of the katana on a battlefield would be more like that of a pistol or even knife, as a backup if the main weapon were lost, broken, or combat became too close. A 5' heavy wood handle with an 18" blade on the end sounds like just the ticket against someone wearing armor!