1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

The Truth About Trolls

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by munk, Sep 14, 2004.

1. munk

munk

Mar 22, 2002
    A long time ago, when I first got on line, I found a poltical forum. My star rose and fell there, and after a while, when I no longer could be myself, I left.

Why are so many forums hatefull? Are we this uncivil, unkind to eath other? Recently I had to ask myself if I wanted to be a little more gentle, or take the on-ramp to the Great ******* Highway? That's one road we try and stay off.

I went back to this forum, Civil Liberties on About, and found a most disgusting poster. His views are liberal and therefore his behavior is tolerated, as the majority there are liberal. He spends his time mocking posters with conflicting opinions. "You're dumb, you can't be that dumb, I knew you were an idiot but not as bad as that. liar, prove it, stop whinning, get that chicken out of your ass," etc etc etc.

He rarely says anything of substance. Some of the posters there make excuses for him, "he doesn't like to type" "his one liners are legends" "it's just his style"

I tried insulting him back- no good. Though eventually he allowed as how there was more to me than he'd previously thought. Lucky me, eh? The world revolves around this *******.
    I tried telling him and other posters the truth about his behavior. No real progress, and I expect to get blasted shortly.

This maybe is a good thing. I've got this notion in my head the Truth Will Out, but it doesn't always out and doesn't usually go the way I want it to. As if we'd want to live here if it did?

I can't get over the fact that this man, who alleges to be a PHD Engineer and married to a semi famous writer, is so hateful. I wonder- does he act this way all the time? Is life so frustrating he is always anger, pissed off? I can't imagine he can turn that much venom off when he goes home.

For myself, I enjoy a good confrontation, but I don't like misunderstanding or senseless pain. When I first found the internet, I was balanced. People could sense that, and were drawn to me. Too much time though, takes a toll, and it is hard to be at peace. This is a better forum than any, and I'm glad I've found you. The real world is most unkind.

My liberal friend Hollow could probably kick this guy's ass.

(the edited word was a_ _ h_ _ _ )

munk

2. Svashtar

Svashtar Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2003
    Munk, I know exactly what you mean. I finally, and just in the last couple of years or so, realized that people like this guy you have been battling with are completely and incorrigibly unchangeable. Their twisted belief systems are so deeply embedded in their little "I'm always right and you're always wrong" psyche, that no matter WHAT proofs you provide, no matter how logical you are, no matter to what degree you have the facts solidly on your side, they will NEVER accede your points. When faced with absolutely irrefutable proof that you are correct, they will simply change the subject or flat out lie.

Example: I had a debate re: gun control with an English woman last year. I claimed that some English shires had started arming their officers with sidearms. She said I was "lying." I went to the BBC World website and spent an hour printing articles about how the Nottinghamshire police and others were now carrying S&W Revolvers. I included several pictures of the officers posing with their new weapons, or with their revolvers holstered. I drew red circles around the guns in their holsters. I handed this report to her personally, pointing to the red circles. She had no comment. A week later in a follow-up discussion in front of other people, she flat out denied ever seeing the report or pictures, and said I was "lying" when I said otherwise. This stupid cows entire self-esteem lay in denying the truth behind what I said, no matter how far she had to go to do so.

So my philosophy has become, why waste my time competing with people of such limited intellectual capability? This loser has made an enjoyable little game for himself on this loser list, spouting unproven "facts" and following them up with periodic insults so that he can delude himself with thoughts of his own superiority.

Don't play anymore. You are a smart guy and know where you stand solidly on issues of importance. Be content with that knowledge and with the fact that in any kind of really fair debate forum you would tear this weasel a new one.

I still violate my own advice ocassionally with a well thought out letter to the editor, but for the most part I refuse to have my time wasted or my emotions manipulated by poser-loser know-it-alls such as this jerk you describe so perfectly.

Try and let go, and you will see (I believe) that you will be happier and more content in yourself. The world is full of morons, idiots and fools with all the answers, and even treating them as semi-equals by playing their game is a lose / lose proposition.

Just my .02ยข worth.

Regards,

Norm

3. BruiseLeee

BruiseLeee

Sep 7, 2001
    Sounds like me.

4. Mr.BadExample

Mr.BadExample

Sep 11, 2002
    Internet cowards are a common breed. The medium doesn't lend itself to thought-out replies, people fire off without thinking, and insulate themselves among same-minded types who never challenge their opinions.
    Sadly, most political forums I've found are like this, whether they lean right or left.

5. KRAKEN

KRAKEN Banned by Moderators Banned

Jun 28, 2004
    munk you strike me as being a bit of a troll yourself ?????????? :rolleyes:
    you constantly argue,poke fun at,namecall ect ect :(

i have at times been called a troll :confused: merely for stateing my opinions.
    why dont everyone just get on with khukri stuff here,instead of every other darn thing. perhaps then all the so called troll like behavior would cease.?? :)

6. cosco

cosco

Jul 1, 2004
    This is maybe because everyone is an expert on politics. Almost everyone could be a councelor of government. Politic topics are like wheather. You can talk about them when you have nothing else to discuse. It is beeing seen in every pub.

If there is some real hobby interest like knives, steel for them, flashlights etc, you quickly show yourself if you know something about the topic or not. That is why I enjoy forums like this one or candlepowerforum. Not as I am an expert but I like meet people who know what they are talking about.

I have been around for a while and found only fine people here.

Thank you guys.

cosco

7. Josh Feltman

Josh Feltman

Feb 12, 2001

Mr. Pot? Meet Mr. Kettle...

--Josh

8. mackasenbach

mackasenbach

Oct 28, 2002
    heard this a long time ago

Never argue with an idiot he will bring you down to his level
    and then beat you with experience

makes sense to me
    so I quit any argument before investing emotion
    unless I have to win

2 cents for free

9. ferguson

ferguson

Feb 21, 2001
    If we all lived as Uncle Bill does, there would be no trolls. My wish is that we all treat each other with the kindness and respect that Bill would.

Steve

10. munk

munk

Mar 22, 2002
    I thought Swashtar made a lot of sense- then I kept reading and almost everyone had something great to add.

I am a conservative by most standards- yet for legalisation of most drugs- libertarian. But I know this- every issue of any size, is too large for one point of view. Right and Left fool us. We keep thinking there is 'the' answer.

On political forums 'liar' is one of the most frequent responses!

<< Never argue with an idiot he will bring you down to his level
    and then beat you with experience>>>mackasanbach

This, was great.

munk

11. Bill Martino

Bill Martino

Mar 5, 1999
    I still read but don't post as much. Interesting stuff.

Munk, if you want to save the world change your uniform and convince the entire populace, especially the lunatic fringe, that the basic problem is a lack of spirituality.

12. Mr.BadExample

Mr.BadExample

Sep 11, 2002
    Welcome back Bill. I hope you're feeling well. I think a big problem today is that people scoff at spirituality. They don't just ignore it, they actively sneer at it, often going out of their way to do so.
    Sometimes respecting it and seeing the need for it only comes with age and experience.

13. Daniel Koster

Daniel Koster www.kosterknives.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 18, 2001
    What makes me most sad is when good men are tempted into doing/saying things they otherwise wouldn't face-to-face....or in front of our spouse/children.

The older and more experienced I get, the more I am beginning to understand the teaching: "Let your language be yea, yea...or nay, nay." As a kid, I thought this was kinda lame - didn't make sense at all. But, for me, the strongest man on earth is the one that can hold his tongue when most tempted to turn it loose.

I know this line of thinking doesn't sit well with everybody....but it sure would eliminate a lot of battles.

What few people are willing to accept is that it really does "Take Two to Troll-ango...."

;)

"If a troll is barking alone in the woods, ...."

14. Sharks_Edge

Sharks_Edge

Jul 8, 2004
    I think Munk is a level headed person who can see both sides of an issue and can present some neutral feedback. This is based only on my recent misunderstanding with Nasty.
    We all have are point of view but a large portion of people will or can never see the other side of the issue based on some embedded ego. The truth can be that your point is wrong and to acknowledge that is a very big step in seeing a much bigger picture of the world.
    The person Munk mentioned has a PHD which demostrates a very deep ego with a narrow focus. This helps them become an expert on one subject matter but can lock them into the thinking that won't allow for other possible solutions.
    I have met my share of professionals and the successful ones know when to omit to a mistake and move on. The others try to bull thier way out of thier own mess and usual fine a scapegoat.
    Munk, don't let him or a group of like minded groupies discourage your input, the ones not arguing are seeing your side or at least considering your point.
    Besides it's better to be a Troll then an a**h**e.
    Sharks_edge
    Karl B. :D

15. DannyinJapan

DannyinJapan

Oct 9, 2003
    Munk you are correct of course.
    The problem is that there are so many people on the internet who feel safe to insult and assault and then walk away, proud of their accomplishments.
    The yare nothing but children.

Sometimes, good people get upset over nothing, as I have been guilty of many times.

Im learning, though. Everyday I learn, what needs to be said and what doesnt. Sometimes people DO need to be spoken to with a harsh tone. Sometimes its best just to pretend you didnt hear them.

Dont feel bad about this stuff, hell, 100 years ago people were duelling at dawn over this same BS.

16. munk

munk

Mar 22, 2002
    You know, this is as good as place as any to mention, when I chew someone out it is over with. I don't lock the person or myself into dumb roles the rest of my life. This is a little unfair to those who hold onto injury for days or weeks like my wife....geeze.

I chewed out Dan, and right or wrong, it is over with. We appear to actually be directing words at one another, and that is a good thing. If you let things build too long, they come out big. It's better to communicate as you go along, but that isn't always possible. The result of either approach though, is the same- (at least for me) both parties are allowed to be human beings afterwards, the 'dehumanisation' is over.

No one gets out of this world alive, and I haven't gotten 'away' with anything- I've paid my dues for what I've said and done. Many were less than happy with my outburst.

This place is still a good place, because things can progress. I don't want to sound corny- I try and let Rusty do all that- but it is a rare forum where people can actually change their behavior in the company of friends.

A lot of the worst of us is not really us- it is behavior. There's still good souls in there trapped alive; we gotta get 'em out.

How about that? I'm talking like my old Self.

munk

17. sams

sams

Apr 21, 2001
    Good point Munk, I agree with what you said. :)

18. ferguson

ferguson

Feb 21, 2001
    That sounds like the Munk I know and love. :p

I've always been one that hated confrontation. Just my nature. I have to be pissed to really argue. Then I'm foaming at the mouth, with blood in my eyes. :mad:

I hate it when two friends are arguing, and I can see that they both have valid points, and they are both partly wrong. Even worse is when they're arguing, but both believe the same thing, just phrasing it differently. Not talking about anything that has gone on here, just speaking in generalities. I just want everybody to be happy, and it ain't usually gonna happen.

Steve

19. DrClckWrk

DrClckWrk

Sep 20, 2003
    I really strongly agree with that.
    I think we usually know when it is necessary to say something that we don't want to say, for example apologizing for something.
    It is harder to tell when not to say something that we do want to say, especially when we have a strong emotional response to it.
    I tell myself to err on the side of silence when it is questionable and try to live by it but it is hard to do and many times I don't.

20. Cuttin' Craig

Cuttin' Craig

Jun 9, 2001
    Yep, Munk, you should have known you were in trouble tangling with a "PHD".

'cause PHD is an acronym which stands for "Piled Higher and Deeper" :D

( No offense to any PHD's out there--- This was told to me by my Boss's wife, a PHD!)

In all seriousness, it is most times difficult not to wade into the fray. But I've found that I consume fewer tums that way. Dealing with card carrying morons like this fine fellow is kind of like falling off a ship at sea. You can survive by thrashing about treading water, or roll over on your back and float. Hopefully you accomplish the same thing, but one is far less strenuous.

-Craig