"The Walking Dead" Endura Fail

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by OnionPoptarts, Feb 17, 2014.

1. ShepardCC

ShepardCC

Dec 4, 2012
    Lmao yea that amazing 870. I want a 30 round 870 pump!

2. aquaman67

aquaman67

Jan 27, 2012
    That was John Lock and a Spyderco Harpy.

3. jbass

jbass

Dec 26, 2009
    There were some guys in my town who rode motorcycles around and they had folders clipped to the top pockets of their leather vests so that the knife showed. They thought it made them look tough. It made them look like posers. The local MC told them to knock it off or they would get their butts kicked.

4. senorsquare

senorsquare Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 5, 2012
    I love the way they were able to fire .357's and .45's in a tightly confined concrete prison block and still be able to hear and speak in a normal tone of voice. My ears ring after firing a .38 in an open field. If you were to unload a .357 in a concrete hallway your ears would be messed up for days on end.

"WHAT'S THAT CARL?"
    "WALKERS BEHIND YOU!"
    "WHAT'S THAT AGAIN?"
    "NEVERMIND."

5. GingivitisKahn

GingivitisKahn

Jun 8, 2010
    One of the workers in our favorite local gun shop was wearing her knife just like that. I'm guessing tight jeans / small pockets is the reason.

---

Beckerhead #42

6. James Y

James Y

Feb 18, 1999
    Although I haven't watched this particular show, the thing that bugs me about most of these post-apocalyptic shows is how the characters (or at least the young ones) are dressed fashionably, with perfect teeth and coiffed hair. There was (is?) a recent series about life 15 years after the power grid went down or something, and in it people looked like they stepped out of a fashion magazine.

In terms of how actors/actresses carry clipped knives onscreen, it's for visibility, not for practicality. Virtually no one who's not a knife carrier will understand what that 'clip-thing' on the pocket is, if it's carried properly. Or small pockets. In that case, I would opt to carry down in pocket without clipping.

Jim

7. JoberSeven

JoberSeven

Oct 5, 2013
    i think it's the best show ever. but there are definite problems

1. they all need hair cuts.
    2. how easy is it to stab through a skull? i saw les stroud do it to a deer carcass, but he had to chip away at it. no way you can stab someone in the brain in one shot. maybe through the temple or eye/nose/ear, but not the top of the head.
    3. they all look surprisingly well fed. except lori. she may have had an eating disorder.

that's all i can think of at the moment. i'm watching a couple reruns per night, so i'll probably think of something else...

8. OnionPoptarts

OnionPoptarts

Aug 18, 2013
    Maybe not your guys thing but I also noticed that they use Busse knives quiet often, and I've seen an Emerson Commander in the one good cops hands a few times, most recently when all hell broke loose at the prison

9. CrialJLA

CrialJLA

Dec 17, 2008
    Ahh this was before the Gerber contract. Now the only premium knife left is Daryl's Busse.

10. A Justice

A Justice

Oct 29, 2013

That is incorrect. The 6.8 was created to improve terminal performance over the 5.56 cartridge in short barreld/AR sized weapons for SOCOM forces.

During testing the inventors tested a variety of commercial bullets from 6mm, up through 7.62mm. It was found the 7mm bullets provided the best terminal performance while the 6.5 bullets provided the best accuracy. The 6.8 was a compromise between the two. It provided better terminal performance than the 6.5, while having better accuracy than the 7mm prototypes.

Look at 7mm and .270 Rifle cartridges - you'll notice that their terminal performance and range are even better than most .30 caliber options (not counting Magnum loadings). It's really a sweet spot in Rifle ballistics. To get better performance you have to look at extremely hot and heavy loads like 300 win mag, .338 Lapua, etc.

Plus the 6.8 offers most of the benefits that the .300 Blackout does for shorter barrels and CQB, but doesn't compromise long range effectiveness. It's really a great all around cartridge, and none of the other cartridges can really say that. (I'm not sure about subsonic loads and suppressors)

The 6.8 SPC round has the same energy at 250 yards as the M855 has at the muzzle. At 600 yards it has the same energy as a 7.62mm M43 at 275 yards, M193 at 250 yards and M855 at 375 yards. Since the 6.8mm is of a larger calibre and greater sectional density than the 5.56mm, it will use this energy more effectively when producing terminal damage.

I don't think the .223 will "pass through most people no problem". It's developed to yaw and fragment, and would only have a problem being lethal after passing through someone's center mass if they were really skinny - but Police have the same problem with handgun ammunition, which is developed to penetrate 6-12" before expanding. Both the Rifle rounds and handgun rounds are engineered for that kind of penetration because it accounts for clothing, and is effective for direct hits as well as being effective when firing through windshield glass. The 5.56 is an odd round though - it needs a certain velocity to yaw, and if it isn't traveling at that speed when it hits it is about the same as a .22 cartridge. The magic number ranges from 1900 FPS on some soft tipped hollow point loads to 2500 FPS on some of the standard Military loads. It might be a problem in very specific circumstances, but I've never heard of it being a widespread problem in the military that they've taken special measures to combat.

11. mkien2012

mkien2012

Oct 4, 2012
    I totally agree !

12. ursamajor

ursamajor

Oct 27, 2010
    She got sick of Shane asking her "Is that a knife in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"

13. ursamajor

ursamajor

Oct 27, 2010
    If I were forced to use a folding knife for the zombie apocalypse, it would be an cs xl espada.