1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Thinest grind

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by bill64, Sep 19, 2019.

1. bflying

bflying Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Two outa three....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coupla Spyders and a Gent...

[​IMG]

Or Chap variants....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edgeoflife and jkwithawave like this.
  2. severtecher

severtecher

Feb 24, 2002
    CRKT EROS K455TXP .079" or
    their new CEO at .086" thick. Both light gentleman's knives.

3. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    Really not. Even without the blackened blade.

4. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    I actually don't disagree with you... but it has nothing to do with the etched blade. The term "gentleman's knife" can be quite subjective. For some, it's just a knife that can be carried unobtrusively for rare formal events. For others, it imparts a degree of fanciness, or expense.
    Probably not what interests the OP; but I consider my GEC 62 half congress (2 blade) in birdseye maple to be more of a gentleman's style than most of the knives listed in this thread. While I don't generally consider autos to fit the category, when I'm wearing a suit, I'm quite likely to have my Protech Newport in an inside breast pocket.
    DSC_0327.JPG

Edgeoflife, neal70 and jkwithawave like this.
  5. abbazaba

abbazaba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2015
    +1 for Chaparral

[​IMG]

6. sv4

sv4

Feb 13, 2014
    The old Spyderco Kopas & Kiwis were great "gentlemen's" knives. You may still be able to find them in the secondary market. I think the Kiwi 4 with G-10 scales may still be in production.

7. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Hahaha nice picture :thumbsup: but no - the knife could look scary to some (the pointy blade).

8. bill64

bill64

Dec 7, 2009
    I thought the Benchmade Valet should be thin grind but no .To make it 30 inclusive I had to broaden the edge a bit.

9. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
  10. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp I support the 3rd amendment! Platinum Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Boker+ Urban Trapper. Tons of variants. 3 sizes, 4 or 5 handle options. Beautiful little knife.

They do apparently have QC issues on occasion, but the several I've had were perfect. I'd just buy from a reputable dealer in case you need to make a return/exchange, but I wouldn't worry about it.

11. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2015
    I've been fighting this since I got into decent steel alloys. (what's with the yoyos that they have to make the blade twice as thick as it needs to be ? ? ? )
    I've been hanging back to see what turned up without much optimism.
    I've been flamed for saying this before (by the pry bar crowd) :

Buy what you like to look at, then get it ground to the specs you want.
    I do it myself for my knives but it ain't quick, easy or . . . pretty.
    The pros will make it pretty for you. My users get scratched up so I just get 'em useful with the dream of finding time to polish 'em "someday".

That Protech Newport looks like the stuff by the way ! ! ! ;) :thumbsup:

chiral.grolim likes this.
  12. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2015
    These won't satisfy but I'm going to post them anyway :
    First I love this knife as a gentleman's knife. The middle two Boker Gents in the first photo. They are very light. The polished gabon ebony handle and the clad blade look super nice to my eye. The black narrow pocket clip with black screws is subtle and understated. The blade is very thin both at the spine and behind the edge (I'll measure it if you care at all) . Decent edge holding; I would put it between a SAK and a Buck 440C . . . maybe as good as the 440C.

The next knife I have had for ever and ever. It is an example of me giving it the full monty; ground thinner AND full polished by hand on a rubber block with SiC paper.
    It is a one hander once you learn to pinch it open and hook the handle on your pocket. One hand close as well with a little practice. it's a little Buck, they have a few sizes of this knife.
    Bottom knife in this photo.
    Or you could just carry the Colossus . . . at least it isn't pointy scary.
    IMG_5954.JPG
    IMG_3327.jpg
    IMG_3328.jpg
    IMG_3341.jpg
    IMG_3356.jpg

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  13. Hurrul

Hurrul Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Another recommendation for the Spyderco Chaparral. The titanium or carbon fiber handled versions seem nice....I don't have either those, but the Lightweight cuts great, right out of the box.

[​IMG]

Edgeoflife, jkwithawave and miso2 like this.
  14. lambertiana

lambertiana Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2000
    A few come quickly to mind:

Spyderco Chaparral with raffir handle:
    [​IMG]

Spyderco One Eyed Jack (rarely mentioned on the forums, but has an even thinner edge grind than the Chaparral and has nice touches like a file worked backspacer) Edit to add - I just checked and apparently the price has gone up on this out of production model, so you might not be able to find one under your $200 limit:
    [​IMG]

If you want a slipjoint, it would be very hard to beat Enigma, which has an exceptionally thin grind and can be found with either M390 or US2000MC, which is essentially the same as CPM-Cruwear:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  15. M. Johnwell

M. Johnwell

Jan 8, 2015
    Spyderco lil nilakka. Near zero grind, very small. Still can be found in stock in certain stores. Under your price point.

16. rswanson

rswanson

Jun 10, 2011
    Thin and certainly gentlemanly. Steel is subjective I guess. Doesn't have to be a knife this difficult to find but pick any traditional knife you find appealing.

[​IMG]

Really gives you a whole different EDC perspective...especially when a heavy pull main blade thunks home when you close her up.

17. xraso

xraso Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2014
    [​IMG]

lionsteel warhorse - this is my current EDC in RFP - very slicy blades in M390 for around $160 ish depending on handle material.

Edgeoflife, jkwithawave and knoefz like this.
  18. Ripcord 82

Ripcord 82

Feb 15, 2019
    Maybe a GEC Pemberton if you want a gentleman's EDC.
    [​IMG]

19. sv4

sv4

Feb 13, 2014
    The Spyderco One Eyed Jack is a nice one.

20. xraso

xraso Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2014
    [​IMG]

Smith and Sons MudBug - this is also super slicey and very TBE

jkwithawave and onekerf like this.