Things you've warmed up to

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Hickory n steel, Apr 25, 2020.

1. TheChunk91

TheChunk91 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 15, 2013
    What is the safety pin trick?

chuck4570 likes this.
  2. 3fifty7

3fifty7 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2016
    My appreciation for traditionals has begun to grow recently. Particularly a nice warncliffe.

3. Jim Bob

Jim Bob

Apr 16, 2019
    For most of my short knife collecting career I would only buy stainless. Well I recently bought a Case peanut in CV and I have to say the grey patina forming on the blades looks quite nice against the yeller handles.

jackknife, HotGuts, chuck4570 and 3 others like this.
  4. Jody744

Jody744 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Stag handles.

Hivoltage, HotGuts, chuck4570 and 2 others like this.
  5. urbantrapper

urbantrapper

Dec 13, 2018
    Ive warmed up to raising my bar on knife prices. I have become accustomed to the finer things in life and after "seeing what all the fuss was about" by buying a few GECs... lets just say lifes not the same anymore. Im more motivated to spend in the 100 range when I originally commited to the 50 dollar range when starting this knife journey. I only have 3 but I want to get more as the days wear on. I just hope the knives become a little more accessible. Some of us on tigher budgets miss out on some great knives due to the scarcity of many patterns.

cbach8tw, Jim Bob, OklaMoose and 5 others like this.
  6. Jim Bob

Jim Bob

Apr 16, 2019
    Stag looks so much nicer in person than in pictures. It never caught my eye either but my wife bought me one for valentines day and I was blown away with how nice it was on my Case medium stockman against those nice shiny bolsters.

7. WolfyW

WolfyW

Oct 28, 2017
    I think that refers to using a safety pin to cordon off a section of your pants pocket with a safety pin. So your pocket becomes divided, one section is now just wide enough for your pocket knife.

8. Lansky1

Lansky1

Apr 12, 2016
    I would have to say full size trappers - never had any use for them ... just didn't like the "big belly" clip and the spey just seemed so limited. I put that big belly clip on a diet and tweak the grinds now & have learned to love them --->

[​IMG]

Storm 8593, Spaten, Jim Bob and 15 others like this.
  9. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    A variety of stainless steels instead of the endless carbon fare ;)

Storm 8593, gaj999, OklaMoose and 5 others like this.
  10. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    I have also warmed back up to stainless a bit, as long as it's not highly polished.

I've always had stainless, but for the longest time it was just all that was available to me.
    Once I started buying knives online I pretty much chose carbon steel whenever I had the choice and anything stainless felt like I was simply taking what I could get.
    I still prefer carbon steel over anything else, but I'm not so unhappy to accept stainless steel these days and in fact I quite like the as ground finish from Case.

11. Planterz

Planterz Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2004
    Single blade knives. If you look back at my early posts in this forum you'll see me saying repeatedly that my main draw to traditional knives is the multi-blade ones with different blade shapes; stockmans, Hawbaker muskrats, wharncliffe trappers, congresses (congri?), etc. I had little interest in single blade traditional knives. These days though I'm typically carrying a Case single blade wharncliffe trapper, a spearpoint GEC 15, a 92 Talon, etc. The simplicity has a definite style and appeal to me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. afishhunter

afishhunter Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2014
    Nothing earth shattering.

1) Congress pattern ... maybe ....
    With the Imperial 4 blade Congress I had the handle just felt "wrong" in my hand. I didn't care for the "backwards" bend of the handle. It was uncomfortable.
    I was recently gifted a GEC 61 2 blade Congress. It is much more comfortable in hand, even with the same "backwards" handle bend.

2) I've warmed up to the idea of using a compound when stropping.

3) Not knife related ... but I've warmed up (very little) to the idea of getting a powered wheelchair or mobility scooter ... or at lease accepted that I'm soon to require one. :(
    (on the "plus side": The doctors told me I'd be in a wheelchair "before you're 25 ..." (such a mean thing to tell a 7 or 8 year old) They were only off by 40 years. :) )

EDIT

4) Carrying a fancy knife.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    Storm 8593, Peregrin, gotgoat and 9 others like this.
  13. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Exactly! Like this...
    [​IMG]

Your knife will slide down between the safety pin and the edge of your pocket and ride vertically.
    [​IMG]

14. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Good Luck and Good Health to you young man so that you can stay out of that powered wheelchair .

Harry

Will Power, redsparrow and Lansky1 like this.
  15. HotGuts

HotGuts Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 1, 2016
    I'm probably repeating what others have said, but I used to avoid sheep's foot secondary blades because they didn't sit flush enough when closed. Used to avoid California clips because they looked like they were too fancy and delicate to handle wood. And it took a few years to be comfortable paying more than $50 for a pocket knife.
    [​IMG]

16. chuck4570

chuck4570 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 21, 2010
    I’ve always been partial to single bladed knives doesn’t matter the blade style, but lately I’ve started to warm up to 2 bladed knives. I always carry a Peanut 1 or 2 blades but I am liking the Pen, Jack, Mini Trapper & Trapper models, I picked up a Case 2 blade congress but it’s a little chunky but I’m planning on a GEC easy pocket to alleviate that problem. After this I may even try some 3 bladed knives, who knows.

17. Sabercat

Sabercat Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2015
    As far as physical knife attributes are concerned, I'd say the two things that I've had the biggest change of heart over (for the positive) are stag handles, and the wider spear blades. I wouldn't say either are necessarily my favorite now, but I absolutely appreciate them far more than I used to.

I've also learned that I have come to appreciate the aesthetics of slipjoints just as much as the function. Almost any slipjoint will succeed at the tasks I'd put it through each day. Not every knife would look good(to me) doing it.

Lastly, I think the biggest thing I've learned to appreciate is that a good knife is a good knife is a good knife - regardless of how many of them were made. I now buy and enjoy knives I truly like for what they are, and don't focus on production #s. Of course, I know I have to work harder to get a knife I like, when not many were made, but I refuse to buy a knife I'm not in love with, or anticipate being in love with, solely due to it being "rare".

18. OklaMoose

OklaMoose

Jan 13, 2019
    Osage Orange wood handle material. For the longest time I thought it was the most horrid and grotesque thing I had ever seen on a knife. Nowadays I absolutely LOVE the osage orange look. I now believe it to be beautiful and tough....Still can't figure out why I warmed up to it though...hmm...

cbach8tw, Jim Bob, Will Power and 3 others like this.
  19. afishhunter

afishhunter Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2014
    I'll be in the chair thanks to a hereditary bone/joint defect.
    It could be worse.
    I have a cousin who's had his chair since age 10 or 11. I think he's 60 now.

Old Engineer, Cutfinger and chuck4570 like this.
  20. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
    Interesting topic and something that surely happens over time...and I'm glad actually! This hobby wouldn't be quite as fun if we didn't evolve and entertain new things.

A few things that I did not necessarily like initially but have warmed up to:
    * Spear points
    * The 85 pattern
    * Micarta
    * Smooth green bone (the 2018 Rendezvous FSA Churchill, followed closely by the Green Boot SFO 14, won me over)
    * Fish knives

And I am sure there will be more to come...I could see myself trying out a Nessie pattern or something different soon and who knows what my preferences will be in a year from now.

Never slanted bolsters though. I don't think you'll ever talk me into that one :D