Thoughts on Scales...

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by CarsonWayne, Jul 30, 2020.

1. CarsonWayne

CarsonWayne Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 2, 2020
    I have been experimenting recently with different scales on my favorite knife - the Spyderco Para 3. I really dig this little knife. I like the size, the blade shape, the compression lock, and I especially like how many different variants there are out in the wild - both stock and modified. I just don't seem to get bored with the Para 3, and I can't say that about too many things. Many of you likely share this sentiment about offerings from Benchmade, Buck, Case, CRK, WE, etc. I don't have anything against those great companies, and if your favorite is one of them, then I'm happy you've found what fits you. Knives are great! This little post, though, is about my own experience and is a way for me to share some feedback on the different scales I've used, particularly on the Para 3.

[​IMG]

These knives were worked on by yours truly. I use WIHA tools, and recommend them for anyone who has the desire to modify their knife(s).

[​IMG]

This post was meant to foster discussion and perhaps educate a potential shopper. I'm willing to learn from others and appreciate different perspectives. Maybe there's a scale type out there I haven't tried, yet. Believe me, if I can bolt it onto a Para 3 I will give it a carry.

DangerZone98 likes this.
  2. K.O.D.

K.O.D. Sanity Not Included Platinum Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Oh there are all different scale materials. C-Tek, different woods, kirinite, etc. Most will have to be custom made and fitted, like the ironwood on my Manix 2.

I find the FRN grippy enough on my Spy27 para 3.

3. CarsonWayne

Mar 2, 2020
    Wood is definitely in my future. I had Ironwood scales on my Manix 2 as well. I asked the same guy who made those to start on the Para 3. He said they're on deck.

I don't know anything about Kirinite or C-Tek, but I will do some research. Glad to hear the FRN scales are working for you on the SPY27. I think I'm probably an outlier there. Love that steel, though, and blade-swapped it into a G10 variant. I carry it a lot.

4. Sergeua

Sergeua

May 1, 2016
    I take all my spydercos and put a chamfer on the inside of all of their scales usually.
    That micarta xhp looks cool.

5. CarsonWayne

Mar 2, 2020
    Thanks!

I have some questions...

How do you put a chamfer on the inside of the scales - sandpaper? How do you know when to stop? I am interested in chamfering the outer edge on the dress Micarta scales. Just need to take the plunge and do it. They look so good, though, I'm a little concerned that I'll mess them up.

6. comis

comis Gold Member Gold Member

May 17, 2013
    Thank you for the writeup.

Just my 2 cents worth, I had dealt with a fair amount of carbon fiber in my previous life, and it gave me the worst splinter if it ever get chipped. So I have sworn to myself I would never buy any knife so as long it has carbon fiber as a scale.

7. CarsonWayne

Mar 2, 2020
    That is interesting. Thankfully, I haven't had that negative experience with CF. If you don't mind me asking, what made the splinter so bad? Difficult to extract? Infection?

8. Sergeua

Sergeua

May 1, 2016
    I used a file and sandpaper on g10. Used dremmel on some aluminum scales when I wanted to speed things. Used another knife on frn scales even to make a pretty nice bevel and then sandpaper to finish up.
    Never worked on micarta though.

Alot of spydercos are just sharp on the inside of the scales and you can smooth the edge out just a tiny bit and be done already. You take a bit off and just see how it feels in hand. You are just taking away the sharp edge and rounding it abit. It helps if you disassemble the knife and you gotta keep the same angle so everything is even. Inside is not outside, it's more hidden. I'd start practicing there first and start small.

This knife had pretty sharp points all over it and especially on the inside. This one I used a Dremel on. It's a lot more comfortable and no longer a big hotspot if you use it harder.
    [​IMG]

9. CarsonWayne

Mar 2, 2020
    Appreciate you sharing that. I have an extra set of G10 scales laying around. I'll practice on them first.

10. Sergeua

Sergeua

May 1, 2016
    Forgot to mention I do it by the sink and keep everything wet. G10 is bad for your lungs/ eyes

11. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    I’m more or less equally fond of both Spyderco’s FRN/FRCP and G10 scales. Both feel great in hand. Cold Steel’s Griv-Ex scales also work well for me.

Sadly, I’ve never handled micarta or carbon fiber before.

12. K.O.D.

Aug 21, 2013
    I have several carbon fiber knives and each one is a different feel.

My Spyderco Gayle Bradley has nice texturing without being rough.

Spyderco Domino is a little less textured, and a different pattern.

Southern Grind Spider Monkey goes from smooth to sculpted and is slightly rounded and very comfortable in hand.

WE Deacon is smooth and very rounded.

I generally like CF, though the last two Spyderco's I've had with it were very rough, more so than the old Cold Steel Recon 1 I once had. Those were an Ikuchi last year and the Smock I just got. Returned the Ikuchi, fixing to return the Smock.

DangerZone98 likes this.
  13. CarsonWayne

Mar 2, 2020
    You're going to return the Smock? If you like the knife, other than the scales, I've seen a few decked out in some really nice Micarta.

14. comis

comis Gold Member Gold Member

May 17, 2013
    I think what I hate CF as a material the most is how easily they could chip and for whatever reason, the splinters from this material could be really fine and sharp. Surely, it also depends on how the plate/scale is made, but personally, I had enough bad experience with it that I wouldn't want to use it on a scale.

15. K.O.D.

Aug 21, 2013
    No, not because of the scales. When it came the pivot felt like it had sand in it. I'm used to compression locks being drop shut/fly open like on my Yojimbo 2, PM2, and Para 3. This has bearings but you wouldn't know it. My Domino has better action.

It felt dry so I put a drop of tuf-glide on each side of the pivot and it is smoother, but still rough.

The button sticks out too far and bumps my thumb when flipping it.

I'm going to give it the weekend, but 90% sure it will be returned Monday.

16. JokersFaceLifter

JokersFaceLifter

Jan 6, 2016
    in my mind all tactical folders can also be an every day carry, but not all everyday carries can be tactical folders, with that being said, i like my scales in black and grippy, emersons g10 is probably the grippiest I'm comfortable with, i don't need colors or embellishments i think safety is important, so the knife can't slide up your hand

my personal preferences and all ..

17. K.O.D.

Aug 21, 2013
    Oops wrong thread.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    jideta likes this.
  18. jideta

jideta Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 8, 2020
    G10? Pass! Deal breaker. Feels cheap.
    Carbon? Passé. Was cool when it was unobtainium but I have a CF bicycle now.
    Titanium? I almost bought a Ti bicycle. See above.

Wood or Micarta. FTW.

19. CarsonWayne

Mar 2, 2020
    Mi
    Micarta is great. Wooden scales aren't the toughest, but when done right they look so classy.