1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Timothy La Combre

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by JTB_5, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Cool Joshua, I am glad you are so happy with it! Nothing matters beyond that. It looks very capable.:thumbsup:

Fodderwing, tmd_87 and JTB_5 like this.
  2. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    You get it! Thanks for the comments and kind words.

Thanks! Stay tuned for a full review when it arrives.

RayseM, tmd_87 and Ramrodmb like this.
  3. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Well said Ray. There is only one knife that I had input on and then let the maker do his thing. It's become one of my most treasured and commented on.

Fodderwing, RayseM and JTB_5 like this.
  4. dispatch184

dispatch184 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 9, 2015
    I love it!!!! I have a huge amount of respect for Tim for all of the same reasons you stated. Really cool knife :)

JTB_5 likes this.
  5. dispatch184

dispatch184 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 9, 2015
  6. JTB_5

Oct 6, 2017
    Thanks, Drew!

Nice one! That blade shape reminds me of the douk douk.

joeradza and dispatch184 like this.
  7. Leslie Tomville

Leslie Tomville Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2016
    That is an awesome looking knife Joshua! I cannot wait to see your photos. Congratulations! Tim is a true artist. I got my La Combre in a trade with Drew. Like yours, it is not conventional. However, it has become one of my all time favorites, and one of the few customs that I never consider selling. I believe it is precisely because he puts his soul into the knives that they become so special. You just have to go along for the ride and let him do his thing.

2AF43F5F-3851-485B-A726-4FA894119ABF.jpeg

8. JTB_5

Oct 6, 2017
    Thanks, Greg! I remember when that one was on the exchange. It looks sturdy, with very nice contrast between the dark wood and bolster/shield.

9. JTB_5

Oct 6, 2017
    Just an update. I haven't received the knife yet, in part because Timothy had to remake the sheath after the first not meeting his quality standard, and in part because I decided to buy a second knife from him, for which he is throwing in another sheath, free of charge. But lest the anticipation fall by the wayside, here is a picture of the second knife:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuQaTozBju7/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

peanutsxx likes this.
  10. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Nice Shadow that one :cool::thumbsup:

JTB_5 likes this.
  11. JTB_5

Oct 6, 2017
    Thanks, Will!

Will Power likes this.
  12. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017

So very well said....... twice.

Ramrodmb, Jody744 and JTB_5 like this.
  13. JTB_5

Oct 6, 2017
    Timothy sent me a tracking number. 3-6 weeks and I'll have some pictures to post of the knives and sheaths. Start the countdown!

Jody744 likes this.
  14. JTB_5

Oct 6, 2017
    I suppose this thread is long overdue for an update. Today marks the 80th day since Timothy shipped the knives my way from South Africa. We've been in continual communication. Timothy indicated that the typical time for an international package shipped through the regular mail is 3-6 weeks, but sometimes worse for shipping to the USA, up to eight weeks. After eight weeks both of us set about to inquire where the knife might be located. Since South Africa doesn't pay the USA for tracking on their packages (even though they carry an international routing number), the USA won't track it once it arrives. On my end, neither USPS or customs had any record of the package. After some inquiry on his side, Timothy discovered that the package had been in a bag with some illegal items and was returned to South Africa. They said it would be resent with a new shipment and could be another 3 weeks or so before it arrived. That was about two weeks ago.

To his credit, Timothy has already twice mentioned making replacements for the knives, but I've asked him to wait until we know for sure that they aren't going to make it. I told him today that it would be poetic for the package to arrive today, "Around the world in 80 days!"

Still, there is no telling how this one is going to turn out. I'm still hopeful that they knives will get here, eventually. In the meantime, I am rather disappointed with the postal service. I'm not sure how an entire bag of mail could be returned when only a portion of it was illegal. I'm hoping it was an understandable oversight and not laziness or carelessness.

Stay tuned for more!

tmd_87 likes this.
  15. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Oh boy :confused:

JTB_5 likes this.
  16. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    I'd carry and use that daily on my farm. Terrific design!

Zieg

JTB_5 likes this.
  17. MCar

MCar Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Outstanding blade shape! I may have to start saving my pennies!

Jody744 and JTB_5 like this.