Tiny knives!

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by dkb45, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Lee48

Lee48

Apr 29, 2005
    If it's really tiny, I can't handle it very well--large hands, clumsy, etc. I have several really small knives but the smallest I will carry is the Spyderco Dragonfly. It's one of my all time favorite knives.

2. Phydeaux

Phydeaux

Mar 4, 2006
    Spyderco Bug. One lives on my key ring.

3. USMCPOP

USMCPOP Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Somewhere around here I have a really small 4-bladed slip-joint pocket knife. Closed length is somewhere around 5/8" to 3/4" long if I recall. Probably well over 60 years old.

4. SW-EDC

SW-EDC Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 4, 2015
    I actually use this.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. bflying

bflying Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Here's a few of my tiny's. But nothing that compares to what the OP already has. Tossed in a few fixed blades just for fun.

[​IMG]

jmh33 and DocJD like this.
  6. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    257EEB91-1D28-4EA9-91D5-77FDE07E6D9F.jpeg Here are a couple of Japanese, Sterling Silver, James Bond tie clips.

herisson and StrangeDaze like this.
  7. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    You should get the pocket Samurai. They have a ti and an aluminum version.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There are also micro Higonokamis.
    [​IMG]

Or what about that leatherman skeleton knife?
    [​IMG]

Chariotz4 and McFeeli like this.
  8. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017

After seeing that Pocket Samurai I felt a sudden need to buy one to throw on to my keyring. I'm 90% sure I don't need it, but that other 10% is screaming "Yes you do", haha.

SW-EDC and Lapedog like this.
  9. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    You pretty much need it!

How else are you going to samurai?

Chariotz4 and McFeeli like this.
  10. MikePotts

MikePotts

Jul 16, 2013
  11. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I agree to a point. But generally speaking the tasks that you would normally use a small knife are not the ones you would use a larger hand filling knife (if you have a choice). So, a less firm grip is okay for me. Go "tiny" and your normal sized so you have both options available. Been carrying my regular 111mm SAK, a Case Peanut, and a Boker Urban Trapper since I got the Boker a few weeks ago.

With fixed blades I feel differently. I want a handle that accommodates my hand. But the blade can be short.

A collection of the miniature Randalls would be something!

12. Wolverine666

Wolverine666 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2009
    I don't care for small knives (or clips). I think my smallest was a BM 707 Sequel. But I got rid of it. I'm a mid to big knife guy.

But it's interesting to see all the tiny little blades in this thread.

13. Colorodo

Colorodo Gold Member Gold Member

May 23, 2014
    961198F8-8911-4920-B316-ED82350C501C.jpeg

SW-EDC and Chariotz4 like this.
  14. Chariotz4

Chariotz4 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 5, 2016
    Not a flipper, can't be opened one-handed, the blade steel is AUS-8, and there's no pocket clip. However, whenever I carry this little guy (Al Mar Osprey in Cocobolo), I tend to have a smile on my face and as well, the fit and finish is excellent! The Delica is there for a size comparison.
    [​IMG]

jfk1110 and Lapedog like this.
  15. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    The fit and finish on those non thumbstud al mars is just impeccable. I believe Moki is the one who makes them.

Chariotz4 likes this.
  16. Chariotz4

Chariotz4 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 5, 2016
    I'm not super familiar with the company, but their designs do standout to me as unique and instantly recognizable as an "Al Mar"; and like you mentioned, their fit and finish is superb. In a world full of G10 and titanium slab handles, their use of real woods, micarta, and exotic materials like MoP or Abalone allow them to further standout imho. And while it's nice to have a premium steel, in a knife with a blade just over 1.5", for its intended uses, I think I'll be more than fine with AUS-8.

When I was going through a small/little knife phase a few months ago, I was looking for something that was not just small, but was also slim and slender and was solidly built. I'm sure there are other folding knives out there in this size range that rival the Osprey in quality (outside of customs and $400+ mid techs), but after searching for a few days, this was really the only thing that appealed to me that also would seemingly live up to my expectations. I've yet to be disappointed by it!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    Lapedog likes this.
  17. jheis

jheis

Jun 19, 2010
    The Osprey (along with most of Al Mar's production) was made by Sakai up until about 1996 when Gary Fadden bought a controlling interest in the company and tried to renegotiate the long standing contract with Sakai. Failing this, Fadden terminated the arrangement with Sakai and shifted production to Moki. Both Sakai and Moki are well respected manufacturers located in Seki City, Japan.

So, pre 1996 = Sakai. Post 1996 = Moki.

se

18. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    Cold Steel G10 Espada XL. Guaranteed to vanish in the pocket with the deep carry clip and ultra slim profile.

Kidding. Perhaps a Spyderco Dragonfly? It’s small, but I can still maintain a good grip on it. I got my Dad the V/Toku2 model and he likes it.

19. bflying

bflying Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2014
    [​IMG]

20. If you can carry an auto, the ProTech Sprint is an awesome little knife. Most variations are in the $120-130 range.

The Ferrum Forge Mini Archbishop is a cool little flipper (about the size of a Dragonfly). Apparently made by WE alongside their Civivi stuff (9Cr18MoV steel, steel bearings and liners) for about $60.