1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tired of waiting for the copper natrix?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by dirc, May 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    I had the same experience with the Giant Mouse GM3 vs the GMP3 in bronze. The idea of a bronze knife was cool to me but the added weight vs. titanium was a deal breaker: 4.8 ounces vs. 3.2 ounces. That's a huge difference. I'd love to see more Bronze, Brass and Copper accents and backspacers but full handles make it non-functional in a knife that's intended to be a smaller carry.

I think that's why they've shrunk the Copper Natrix; if it had been done at full size, it would have broken 5 ounces. As it is, shrunk down to 2.75", it's still coming in at 3.7 ounces vs 2.9 ounces for a full sized Natrix.

Does anybody know the country of origin for the Copper Natrix? I can't seem to find it clearly defined anywhere?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found out. It's being made in China. That doesn't bode well given some of the Natrix issues that popped up during last years production. So far the couple of 2018 Chinese Kershaws I've handled have been pretty decent. Hopefully they execute the copper Natrix well for all those wanting one.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  2. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    I might be better off getting a 14c28n bareknuckle, and trying to find some copper scales... but if I'm doing that I could go for any brand and maybe have an easier (cheaper) time finding copper scales.

3. Fixall

Fixall Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2018
    I just talked to a Warranty Service Rep at Kershaw and he told me they are hoping to release the Natrix Copper sometime in September.

Just thought I'd pass that along.

4. LX_Emergency

LX_Emergency KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 28, 2007
    We'll have to just differ in opinion on the precision bit. That's perfectly fine. I do agree that WE make very nice knives. (I've handled quite a few) but I stand by my statement that in order to get to the same exactness as the general CRK they'd have to take the same production steps which would simply cost additional money. In the case of WE this might be less than with Southern Grind because of local wages etc.

And yes, you might've gotten a bad one. This happens to every company. Offcourse a sample size of 1 when the amount made yearly is in the thousands doesn't exactly say much.

I have no personal experience with Southern Grind. Though I've heard nothing but good reports about them.

As for costs in building knives to the same exactness...lemme leave a (by now famous) quote by someone who knows more about producing knives than I probably ever will.

or

5. photoman12001

photoman12001 Gold Member Gold Member

May 23, 2008
    The copper Spider Monkey is a pretty nice knife. I’m not nuts about the clip though. You can put a three-hole Benchmade/Emerson clip on it but it doesn’t look quite right.

[​IMG]

You can get a Spyderco PM2 for a decent price and put Flytanium copper scales on it. It will be pretty heavy but it’s a neat setup if you don’t mind the weight.

[​IMG]

6. Badazzelanore

Badazzelanore

Oct 8, 2018
    I disagree, only because CRK and the Sebenza specifically are rockstars in the knife world. You are not only paying for an amazing American made design, a legend, but more importantly brand name. I'm not saying spidermonkey is equivalent either, just that price doesn't always equal quality.

7. jmh33

jmh33 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Not tired..:p Just anxious!!!:D John

8. LX_Emergency

LX_Emergency KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 28, 2007
    Didn't read the rest of the thread did you?

9. Badazzelanore

Badazzelanore

Oct 8, 2018
    Sure did, just because you post someone elses opinion, doesn't make it gospel.

10. funky419

funky419

Mar 1, 2015
    Old thread I know... Here's another saying a fool and his money are soon parted. Im a sales man I sell insurance. If your going to pay big money for something that you can't tell is there come to me big poppa. I have all kinds of stuff for sale.

11. LX_Emergency

Jun 28, 2007
    Tolerances don't show visually. They do show over long term use however. Just because you can't tell the difference right now...doesn't mean you won't be able to see in another 20 years.

12. 21bangbang

21bangbang Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 19, 2019
    I've read your posts and quotes in this thread and agree up to a point. Costs can definitely be inflated on nothing but the brand. I won't speak on those specific examples because I own neither of them, but the business practice is a reality, and quite common. From the sounds of it CRK are the pinnacle of precision, and for what seems a decent price. Yet other brands cost far more. The added cost is nothing more than a brand and reputation.

As for the copper knife, I love it, but the weight would turn me off. Are these solid copper scales? Some sort of alloy? Plating?

13. LX_Emergency

Jun 28, 2007
    Oh I'm totally not saying that brand name can't account for anything. It totally can account for a percentage of the price. For me as a knifemaker however when I watched the CRK tour videos and saw all the steps they were putting their parts through it made me realise there was a LOT in there that wasn't brand name. I ended up buying 2 second hand...sold one of those. Plus the fact that they're one of the very few brand names that actually sell dedicated lefthanded framelocks adds something.

As far as the Copper scaled knife. From what I understand (apart from the lockbar) the scales are copper. Not copper plated. And yes, that comes with a significant increase in weight.

14. Blackfish775

Blackfish775 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2014
    I'm not sure about the other stuff, but I was sorta disappointed in my copper Natrix. It's a pretty knife and feels good in hand, but getting it open is not fun. It is far too stiff, and the flipper tab far too pointy. I usually two hand open the thing becaus eI don't want to use a flipper tab. I wish they have put thumb studs on it.