To all you SAK users -check it!-

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Feca10ne, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Feca10ne

Feca10ne Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2020
    Stumbled across this product last night and figured Id share it here..
    I did a search and didnt find anything here on BF... hope Im not being redundant..

This is a ferrocerium fire starter that replaces your toothpick or tweezers in the Swiss Army type knives.

[​IMG]

2. Cool idea. Hate to give up a tool for something that’d almost never get used, but it’d be good for the right user.

Feca10ne likes this.
  3. Jody744

Jody744 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Cool idea, I just carry a bic with my sak tho

4. CanadaKnifeGuy

CanadaKnifeGuy

Jan 27, 2019
    On a SwissChamp, replace the toothpick with this and you can live off the land indefinitely, with only the SAK! :D:eek::cool::p

jmh33, Jody744 and Feca10ne like this.
  5. goldie

goldie

Feb 18, 2000
    that's pretty cool the toothpicks pretty useless good replacement for it

6. CanadaKnifeGuy

CanadaKnifeGuy

Jan 27, 2019
    It can be handy in the office, but outdoors, you can just use the blade and carve a toothpick.

A bic is more practical in the office... Don't use a Ferro rod there! :eek::D:cool:

7. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    I have a problem with my FerroCerium rods corroding. I would be happier with a rod enclosed in a waterproof case ala NanoStryker.

8. tiguy7

Jun 25, 2008
    image.jpeg I have a FerroCerium rod in the swing out drawer of my SAK, but I'm afraid it will turn to dust in the humid summertime.

9. Feca10ne

Feca10ne Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2020
    Yep, a NanoStryker is the way to go for a nice sealed unit. I modified this NanoStryker with the intention of using it as a lanyard bead/tool but when it was done I thought it looked to much like a "personal massager" and once you see that there is no unseeing ito_O
    I hope the guy I sold it to doesn't see this post...:D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. tiguy7

Jun 25, 2008
    Hell, I would have bought that. It’s too cute for words.

Feca10ne likes this.
  11. tiguy7

Jun 25, 2008
    image.jpeg image.jpeg My regular fire source is a Porsche Designs PDJL1A Titanium piezoelectric Butane lighter.

Getting older likes this.
  12. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    I’ve considered one of these fire starters but they are kind of pricey for what you get.

A couple of disposable lighters meet my needs just fine.

afishhunter and Jody744 like this.
  13. Cscotttsss

Cscotttsss Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Well, that wouldn't work for me as the toothpick is by far the most used tool on my SAK classic. I use the toothpick and scissors at least daily.

14. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    If you have “Plus Scales” you don’t loose your toothpick.

Just put your striker where the ballpoint pen should go.

15. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I would never buy one or use it, but neat idea.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  16. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    Interesting accessory. Besides pins, is there a list of other must have survival items that can be stuffed in a sak?

Feca10ne likes this.
  17. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I also agree that is is a neat idea and a good concept for a person who might carry a SAK equipped like this as a last ditch knife in the woods or a survival situation. I prefer bic lighters myself. But I can see where a lot of woods folks/hikers might find this knife accessory very useful especially in an emergency. I might be willing to replace the toothpick with one, but not the tweezers. You can make a toothpick in the woods if you want to, but a tweezers is a bit more difficult.

Getting older likes this.
  18. marsturm

marsturm Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2008
    I carry a small ferrocerium rod in the bottom of one of the card holders in my wallet.

Feca10ne and sabre cat like this.
  19. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    I bought a package of them. I put them in my Vic Hunter that I keep in my pack and a couple of other SAK’s I keep in my vehicles. I still have matches and lighters with me but thought it was a simple way to have a last ditch effort if I run out of everything else.

22-rimfire, paulhilborn and Feca10ne like this.
  20. tiguy7

Jun 25, 2008
    image.jpeg The modified limited hangout is the Exotac water proof holder for the Bic lighter. It has loop that can hold the trigger down. One model even glows in the dark. image.jpeg

sabre cat and afishhunter like this.