1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

tomahawk/axe forging questions

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by ScottRoush, Apr 19, 2010.

1. ScottRoush

ScottRoush

Jan 10, 2010
    A couple of things...

What is the easiest way to upset the end of a rr spike for forging the blade? I'm having problems with whole spike wanting to bend over...

Also... what method works best for forging down the 'ears' on the eye (like the Gransfors)??

Thanks!

2. lamepro

lamepro

Jul 11, 2008
    i am interested in this also had the same problems!

3. ScottRoush

ScottRoush

Jan 10, 2010
    i was just looking at somebodie's tutorial and they show upsetting by just holding the spike close to the end and hammering. i was placing the spike end down on the anvil and hitting the head....

4. savageknives

savageknives

May 11, 2009
    watch steves tutorials on youtube. he uses what he calls the "bump and draw" method. search coal creek forge and you should find it.

5. Kentucky

Kentucky KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Basic Member

Dec 13, 2008
    You have to upset the end of the rr spike at least an inch to make a decent blade. Heat just an inch or so of the tip and hammer straight down on it. Before you slit and drift it. RR spikes can be a pain to get straight and true. Its easier to upset the end before you slit for the eye..
    The ears on an axe are made by forging down the sides when you have the drift thru the eye. Just heat the work piece, insert drift and the drift acts like an internal anvil. forge to shape..
    PS: If your gonna forge weld a HC bit into the rr spike this is also the time to do it. Upset it, then slit it, then insert and weld bit..