1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tomahawk handle attachment?

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by ThundarStick, Nov 4, 2010.

1. ThundarStick

ThundarStick

Feb 21, 2010
    I'm quite adept at replacing and making handles for old axes and hatchets, but I have some questions about hawks.

Is the eye tapered? Is there any reason you couldn't shape the handle to the eye and wedge it in the same fashion as a hatchet?

2. savageknives

savageknives

May 11, 2009
    the reason the eye of a hawk is shaped as such is so the handle can pass through the top of the eye and the shape of the handle will wedge it into place using the momentum of the swing. i believe this was to allow the handle to come out during throwing rather than breaking, it also makes producing a handle easier since the fit doesnt have to be quite so precise.

3. tek77

tek77 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 9, 2009
    Yeah, I noticed that the head of the Hawk (trail hawk in my case) comes loose when I use it for chopping. I filed the eye and it's a snug fit to the handle, but I have to re-adjust it every time I use it. Anyone knows how to avoid that?
    Not trying to hijack this thread, but I think this issues are similar.

4. ThundarStick

ThundarStick

Feb 21, 2010
    Thank's for the replys. I was sorta thinking that most handles where a slip fit for the reasons listed. Handle pops out on a bad hit from throwing. I found at least one site where they where selling tomahawks and it looked like most heads where attached per the traditonal hatchet or axe method. I don't plan to throw one, so I think I'll do my first like an axe handle.

tek77 This is the reason I would mount as an axe head. You use a handle that is oversize for the hole in the head. Carve the very end of your haft, or handle so it will pass through the head from the bottom up with a tight fit at the bottom of the head. Now for the part that lot's don't know. Instead of driving the head down tight to the handle shoulder, turn the axe upside down and rap on the end of the handle. It's like you are driving the haft into the head. Mark around the top side of the handle and drive it back out of the head, trim just a little long, saw a slit a little over half the depth that the head is wide, replace the head tightly, then use a wedge driven down into the head side to spred the top of the handle. This will give you a handle that won't move if done properly. Good luck

5. upnorth

upnorth

Nov 25, 2006
    I smeared gobs of clear silicone inside the neck, bang it back up snug, tighten the set screw, wipe off the excess mess and let it dry for a few days. I chop with a Cold Steel Rifleman and a New Frontier done up like this, they do not come loose on me.

6. bax 40

bax 40

Jun 6, 2007
    Cold steel makes some metal pieces that you can buy and comes with screws to attach to the sides of the haft to keep the head from coming off, I put them on my norse hawk!!

Larry

7. tek77

tek77 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 9, 2009
    Thanks for the tips guys.
    Larry, I think you are talking about the TOMAHAWK LANGETTE SET?
    Looks like it's used on the War Hammer.
    Should work. Personally I would shorten it a bit.

Got two more hawks coming my way...guess I got the hawk bug.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010