1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Tongs

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by Yugami, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Yugami

Yugami

Oct 13, 2015
    Right now I'm using two crude tongs I made. Until I improve my setup I think I'd rather just buy a couple to improve my holding ability then branch back into making my own as I start needing specific things.

I tend to use 1/2" round bar and forge 3/16" thick blades right now between 1" and 1 1/2" (mostly aiming for the 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hunter styles) basically smaller utility knives that are quicker to make and refine skill.

However I did dabble into a larger dagger that I'm finishing. 1 1/2" at max blade width and 1/4" max thickness.

Given those variables what tongs would you pickup to be reasonably flexible.

Right now I have two, a flat that I've mangled to a few different sizes and now doesn't work quite right, and a very crude U style blade tong.

I drop things alot and would like to get a more secure hold while I continue learning.

2. kn4wd

kn4wd

Jan 20, 2014
    polar bear forge has kits, I have 4 sets from there. and texas knifemaker and jantz carries ready made ones in different styles

3. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
  4. Yugami

Yugami

Oct 13, 2015
    Is polar bear forge still around? I've emailed a couple times and have no response.

5. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    I did not realize he was gone, but his membership has expired and he hasn't posted in over a year.

6. Kevin McGovern

Kevin McGovern KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 31, 2015
    I ordered from him about seven months ago. He doesn't update his website much, but he always got back to me when I emailed him within a few days.