Tons of good news

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by JTknives, Mar 29, 2020.

1. JTknives

JTknives Blade Heat Treating www.jarodtodd.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 11, 2006
    I wanted to let everyone know we have a bunch of exciting news. Let’s see where to start. This post is not a sales post or trying to solicit any business. I just consider all of you my friends and wanted to share the news of progress. Feel free to post responses, just no sales talk.

1: In the near future will be offering some amazing damascus steel. This wonderful steel will be made by the notorious Salem Straub. We have been talking things over and I’m quite excited to be able to get into this side of things. It will be rolled wide enough so the strips can be cut on the cnc plasma table.

2: Speaking of plasma we just bought a new Hypertherm 45 XP. This will speed things up as well as increase our thickness capacity. We are also hoping the added power with a dedicated machine torch will help with the cut quality. Not that it was bad with our current set up but one must always shoot for perfection.

3: With the new line of damascus steel we will be bringing in mating carbon steel. We will be offering it for sale so it can be matched up with our 15n20 in your forge. It will most likely be thin 2” wide strips which we will also offer matching 15n20 to go with it.

4: Lots of you have asked in the past if there was a bulk option and at that time there wasn’t. But we are busy enough now that we can batch things up more efficiently. We also want to try and eases the cost burden on you especially considering the state of the country right now. So this means for one month we will ditch the $5 extra fee for just one blade. We will price heat treating as such and the other fees like foil and cryo will stay the same.
    1-9 $10/each
    10-19 $8/each
    20+ $6/each
    we are also looking at what we can do on the plasma cutting side to to drop some cost. We will try this out for a month and evaluate to see how it went. We are hoping this will help you guys as well as bring in other customers that might have been on the fence. Sounds like a good time to stay home and make Knives.

5: We have also been talking to Geoff in Canada and working on getting some cool knife making tooling from him for you guys once he is all set up. Things like edge scribes and sanding disks.

6: The last thing is with the new plasma cutter and increased capacity we are hoping to have some grinder frames for you guys as well as disk sanders.

We welcome any questions, comments, suggestions or excited outbursts here on this post. Non of this would have been possible with out all of my loyal bladeforums friends. Thank you - JT

2. DustinY

DustinY KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 29, 2016
    Ohhh the Damascus will for sure be my first try.

Justin Schmidt likes this.
  3. Bob Duguay

Bob Duguay

Aug 28, 2017
    Sounds great JT. I hope all goes well.

DustinY likes this.
  4. Salem Straub

Salem Straub

Oct 20, 2008
    As Jarod says, he's leveling up in a few ways... the new cutter is exciting for sure! I'm looking forward to providing good clean damascus, in classic surface manipulation patterns, as an option with JT Knives. It'll be no-flux, no-inclusion damascus, with good crisp definition from clean preparation and low temp digitally controlled welding. I'm always happy to do more hot work! Hammers presses and rolling mills are too much fun.

5. razor-edge-knives

razor-edge-knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2011
    Oh man I'm so excited about the bulk ht for sure! Great job Jarrod getting things rolling!

Salem, this is high contrast, non stainless Damascus you will be making correct?

DustinY and Sharp & Fiery like this.
  6. Ken H>

Ken H>

Dec 31, 2011
    Sounds like JT and Salem both are going to be BUSY in the future.

12345678910, Nick Dunham and DustinY like this.
  7. Richard338

Richard338 Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2005
    Looking forward to bulk discounts on Salem's finest multibar Damascus! I wish.

Storm W and DustinY like this.
  8. Storm W

Storm W KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 19, 2019
    Are we going to get the Cruforgev mix like I bought from you in the past?

9. Kevin Cross

Kevin Cross KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 13, 2006
    Great news. Continued success!

10. mooniesdl3

mooniesdl3

May 12, 2016
    I can see this costing me money lol.

Ken H> and DustinY like this.
  11. milkbaby

milkbaby

Aug 1, 2016
    I just want to chime in with, "wow"! :eek::thumbsup:

DustinY likes this.
  12. Hankins

Hankins KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 7, 2008
    Interested in the Whole process you have there
    How much should the patterns be over sized to account for the plasma cutting for stainless?

DustinY likes this.
  13. JTknives

JTknives Blade Heat Treating www.jarodtodd.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 11, 2006
    I over size them by adjusting the curf width in the programming. I normally try and leave about .02-.03 on each cut surface.

We had a change to the bulk heat treating.
    1-4 = $10
    5-9 = $9
    10-14 = $8
    15-19= $7
    20+ = $6

Also it’s live as we speak so you can head to the website and check it out.

Wyo Coyote, DustinY and Daniel W like this.
  14. pmbspyder

pmbspyder

May 30, 2011
    Congrats on the good news! I’m new to knife making and have about 16 blades I need to have heat treated. Half are O1 and half are 80crV2.

In each batch of steel there are varying thicknesses. Not sure how to navigate an order like that on the website.

I’m assuming bulk discounts only apply to same steel, same thickness blanks? So if I had 2 different steels in 2 different thicknesses, technically that would be 4 orders?

Sorry for all the questions, just don’t want to bungle this up and I’m new to how 3rd party heat treating works. Thank you!

Justin Schmidt likes this.
  15. JTknives

Jun 11, 2006
    send me an email @ [email protected]

remember guys no sales talk in the open forums.

Ken H> likes this.
  16. Spalted

Spalted My name is Britt Askew I like making knives Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 9, 2010
    Im betting you will need employees soon :thumbsup:

Are you doing HT for cpm3v ? Same pricing?

Woohoo I have always been to late when you post a piece on Instagram

DustinY likes this.
  17. JTknives

Jun 11, 2006
    Yes we heat treat 3v

18. Wyo Coyote

Wyo Coyote

Nov 25, 2015
    Awesomeness!

19. JTknives

Jun 11, 2006
    OK we did a major change to the bulk pricing. lots of spread sheets and charts over the last few days revealed a flaw in our original pricing.
    So the new pricing is
    1-4=$10 each and 5-20 = $10-(qty*.25)
    Every blade after that removes .25 from the base price. So 5 blades is $9.75 each and 6 blades is $9.50 each. This keeps decreasing in price by 25 cents till you hit 20 blades where its $6 per blade. This price is for every blade added to the cart. We have removed the per alloy restriction so you can mix and match alloys and as long as the blade count in the cart is over 4 you will trigger the bulk pricing. And every blade added to the cart after that will drop the price of the other blades by 25 cents and move everything to the next lv of bulk pricing.

We are hoping this will get some of you guys excited as you now don't have to have large numbers of one alloy to get bulk pricing.

20. razor-edge-knives

razor-edge-knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2011
    That's amazing, so stoked about this!