TOPS Operator 7

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by chute2thrill, Apr 11, 2020.

1. chute2thrill

chute2thrill

Apr 11, 2020
    What do you all think of the width of this beast? Positives are obviously strength and chopping ability, but the YouTube videos I've looked up don't show much for sharpness. I absolutely love the design and overall shape I was just wondering what you all thought about it.

2. chute2thrill

chute2thrill

Apr 11, 2020
    Forgot to say I'm about 98% gonna but one anyways just need to justify it to the old lady

willrise likes this.
  3. justjed

justjed

Oct 23, 2010
    The best way to justify that knife is to wash it really well, take it in the kitchen, and use it. For anything, and everything. I like cutting up steak for fajitas and quesadillas with my big knives. You'll find it's not the best for slicing as it's a little thick, and the guard can get in the way. Also, the recurve takes some getting used to. But it can be done, and it's fun, if a bit juvenile. But, boys and their toys! Hell, the next one on kitchen duty for me is a SOG Agency, or another turn with the S1 Bowie.

If you're a collector, rather than a user, then the knife itself is justification enough. It's a very cool piece, and I'm considering one myself. As a user.

4. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    Depends on what you want to use it for. Great for fighting or collecting. However, for a non-fighting outdoors knife, I'm not in favor of a guard that protrudes above the handle and prevents my thumb from resting on the top of the blade. YMMV

5. Basp2005

Basp2005

Dec 6, 2015
    I think in general Tops makes some ninja-tastic designs that cater to the twelve year old mindset. That one doesn't look to bad.

6. deadzonepatrol

deadzonepatrol

Apr 11, 2019
    Love TOPS, but that design just doesn't appeal to me. If it's anything like other medium to large TOPS knives, then it should be good for hard, heavy use, but maybe not so good for small jobs. But if you carry a small companion knife, and you like it, why not?