Tops Silent Hero Crack/Delamination?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by RedWolf4, Sep 18, 2020.

1. RedWolf4

RedWolf4

Oct 20, 2019
    Hi all,

I have a Tops Silent Hero and I just can't tell if it has a crack or not. I think it's probably me just being paranoid and it's just a discoloration or scratch, but I'd like to hear some other opinions. Knife has seen some use (not that much), but no abuse. It was however one time stabbed through sheet metal (pretty thin, not sure what thickness) which is why the coating has some scratches. Crack/Scratch in question looks different than other scratches on the blade, and I can just barely feel it with my fingernail running across it.

https://imgur.com/a/csGcNYv
    ^
    Pictures

The coating looks different on either side of the line, but is still there on top. (Just something else I noticed).

Biggest concern I have is that I can (very) mildly feel it with my fingernail.

Thanks for taking the time to view and/or answer

Also one more question I have: Why does Tops knives not have it's own section on manufacturer's forums?

2. A.L.

A.L.

Jun 27, 2007
    I think it's the TOPS's differential heat treat (heat treat line): spine is softer to take the impact and the edge is harder to keep the edge longer.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  3. BladeScout

BladeScout Basic Member Basic Member

May 16, 2010
    Judging from those pics, I dont see a problem either.

You should ask Tops that question. I imagine, its up to them.

4. RedWolf4

RedWolf4

Oct 20, 2019
    Thanks for the responses guys,

isn't the heat treat line where the black river coating is though? Thought I heard that somewhere before. I could be wrong.

I guess I'll just continue to use the knife as it was meant and hope for the best.

5. W. Anderson

W. Anderson Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 22, 2016
    Looks like a scratch.

6. A.L.

A.L.

Jun 27, 2007
    You are overthinking it. Abuse it like it owes you money (but not so much that it doesn’t keep producing it)

RedWolf4 likes this.