Toughest fixed blade you know of

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by DangerZone98, Mar 15, 2020.

1. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    Although weight and space considerations should also be taken into account, it’s always prudent to have backup knives for your “societal collapse loadout.” Any knife can break, without exception, and when they do it’s usually the worst ducking time. To cite some revolutionary math, “One is none, two is one, three is even better.”

2. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    She’s pretty, alright.

Christopher Lewis likes this.
  3. 000Robert

000Robert Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2020
    I can't wait till I can get a nice CPK Behemother in D3V steel with the CPK proprietary Delta Heat Treat.

4. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    This here’s the Gurkha Combat model from The Khukuri House.

[​IMG]

Had her for about four years now maybe, since late high school. According to the site she’s patterned after the World War kukris used by the Gurkhas, warriors from Nepal. She’s a stripped down conservative version so to speak, doing away with the accompanying karda (small knife) and chakmak (small honing steel). First 5160 khuk I’ve owned.

She may be a little rough around the edges, but she hasn’t let me down since.

scdub, Smiling, DocJD and 1 other person like this.
  5. Mick Boardman

Mick Boardman Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 15, 2020
    My choice would be Busse TGULB. Blade length, weight, strength, edge retention, it’s all there.

6. Beastchopper

Beastchopper

Jun 23, 2018
    I like the 5160 buck froe which is similar to this.

Crag the Brewer and bigsurbob like this.
  7. Christopher Lewis

Christopher Lewis Wackin Steel Co. Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 24, 2020
    chopping a 1/4 inch bolt, must be some kind of alien tech

000Robert likes this.
  8. not2sharp

not2sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 1999

Then there is batoning through 1/4" steel plate......It is a type of mild steel with .26 carbon.

n2s

9. 000Robert

000Robert Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2020
    That looks like a knife you can count on!

10. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    This is my panfish knife; it is tough at 31 1/2 inches and 5 pounds 14 ounces. IMG_2793 (Large).JPG

afishhunter, RedWolf4, scdub and 2 others like this.
  11. not2sharp

Jun 29, 1999
    Those are classics. I have a similar 1 piece splitter issued for military use during the US Civil War. They are cool old knives.

n2s

12. Steven65

Steven65 Traditional Hog Platinum Member

Mar 11, 2008
    Nice Warthog tusks. Where did you shoot those?

13. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    That was a gift from a friend; I believe he shot it in Namibia. Now that would not be Paul Simon I hear, would it?

Steven65 likes this.
  14. Man with no name

Man with no name

Jun 24, 2015

DocJD, 000Robert and hugofeynman like this.
  15. not2sharp

Jun 29, 1999
    Its a cool video, it certainly gets our attention, but it is so far off the beaten path that I am left asking myself what it means. If we replace the knife with a Buck 119, would it do better or worse? Strange as it may sound I have not tried to lift a vehicle shell with a backhoe with any of my knives. The message needs some relevant perspective.

n2s

16. bigsurbob

bigsurbob Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2016
    20200904_124649.jpg
    As you can see, nothing can stop these two

(except this horrible picture)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  17. USMCPOP

USMCPOP Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 6, 2016
    I don't know, but one knife I haven't tested might be my pick for tough, and useful. I got it 40+ years ago, made from some hill tribe smith in Thailand (Yao, Hmien?). 10" convex blade that distally tapers out from nearly 1/4" thick at the handle to a more reasonable thickness. I'm sure it was made without benefit of power tools and the finish was beautiful. It's the pointy one on the left. The one on the right was a gift from an old Thai blacksmith friend and I would trust it with my life.

The people who made these beat them up and used them every day in the jungles and fields of Laos and Thailand to survive and eke out a living. Nothing fancy, just leaf springs beaten out in a charcoal forge.

I need to buff these a bit after years of storage. No real rust, just a bit of patina. The pointy knife cost me the princely sum of $5. The incurved farmer knife was free.

[​IMG]

18. not2sharp

Jun 29, 1999
    That a Thai Enap knife used by the Hmong.

n2s

19. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    I don’t know how tough they are in absolute terms, but my Anzas sure feel tough. Since they are ground from files, they are unfashionably thick. The Dune Field, on the left, is a good 3/16” thick. There is a larger counterpart made from a quarter-inch thick file. I suppose that’s part of it. Their feel in hand probably adds to that impression. Although I have not put any of these to the test, they feel unbreakable.
    My first Anza, bought 40 years ago, has seen a lot of use, cutting and stripping wires, cutting fuel hose, scraping gaskets, prying stuck parts, popping frozen car doors, cutting the lids off cans, slicing some rank and oily hard salami. I don’t recall ever beating on it, but I never went easy on it. I would not hesitate to put any of the others to similar use.

5A1B4E97-61A2-4CC0-896C-D3B9E449A436.jpeg

DangerZone98 likes this.
  20. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    Another tough and inexpensive knife that shouldn’t be slept on.

[​IMG]

DocJD and duramax like this.