1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

[toying with new designs] Now WIP: 6 Patterns In A2

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by redsquid2, Oct 27, 2014.

1. redsquid2

redsquid2 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 31, 2011
    I think the classic designs turn out to be the most useful, but I like to experiment. I like to make a mock-up before I start cutting steel.

001.jpg

If I end up bringing one of these designs to completion, then this will be a takes-forever WIP thread, because I take forever to finish.

002.jpg

I think the sheepsfoot is my favorite.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  2. redsquid2

redsquid2 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 31, 2011
    Pay no attention to the width of the bevels :)

Lemme 'splain my process here: I get the bass wood at an art supply store. It is 1/8" thick. I glue the paper patterns onto the bass wood, then I cut out wooden. Then I seal the patterns with whatever is handy -- usually a little tru oil rubbed on.

I have also made patterns out of fiber spacer and chip board, but I think wood is the best.

I have seen patterns made of metal, but that seems like a lot of work to me.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  3. tim37a

tim37a

May 18, 2010
    Hey redsquid,

I do the same thing as you except I use 1/8" mahogany doorskins. I make one knife and if it seems like I want to make more, I make a pattern out of 1/8" aluminum. With aluminum, I don't have to worry about wood warping over time. Like that sheepsfoot.
    Tim

4. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback, tim37a.

I cut out one of those wood patterns yesterday, but I changed the handle shape slightly. I was thinking of turkeys. I don't think the turkeys will appreciate it, though.

001.jpg

More small game possibilities:

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      87.5 KB
      Views:
  5. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    Double post.

6. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    Ordered a bubble jig today. I have some paint stirring sticks to practice on. The 2 X 42 is the only grinder I have, so I will practice grinding bevels in wood first, and then hopefully not mangle my steel.

7. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    These are all .093" A2:
    005.jpg 004.jpg 003.jpg

Thinking about this one in .125" A2:
    002.jpg

8. Justin Presson

Justin Presson

Dec 4, 2013
    I like the looks of that last one!

9. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    Thanks, Droptine5.

Got this one down to the basic shape last night:

001.jpg

Going for minimalism here: the most compact, lightweight, yet useful design I can come up with. I could go thinner, I guess. Some of the Mora knives are 1/16" thick, right?

10. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    002.jpg

11. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    I remove some stock with my 2X42 grinder, then I go to hand filing.

I don't want to do too much of the stock removal with that grinder, because it spins so fast, and one little slip will result in a gash.

Here is my latest progress:

IMG_3797[1].jpg IMG_3798[1].jpg

12. Justin Presson

Justin Presson

Dec 4, 2013
    Looking good man!

13. Utican

Utican

Sep 18, 2010
    Somenice designs, are all of them scandi grind or thisis work in progress

14. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    Thanks.

These are all works in progress. I don't plan on putting a scandi grind on any of these.

Thanks for asking.

15. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    I decided to change the handle shape on this one. The blacked out area at the back of the handle has been completely cut off, creating a whole different handle shape.

001.jpg

16. Yo Mama

Yo Mama

Sep 25, 2011
    Nice work Brother!

17. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    Handle design:

001.jpg
    I like the design on the bottom. Simple and straightforward. The one on the top; I think that is similar to a Nimravus handle design, so I guess it doesn't make sense for a thin little slicer like this.

Here is the whole batch:
    002.jpg

18. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    I guess I'll just keep this going as a WIP thread. The next step for this one is to take a finer cut file, and start draw filing on the bevels:

IMG_3816[1].jpg

19. eric brinkerhoff

eric brinkerhoff

Mar 10, 2013
    Your designs look nice and functional with good proportions.

20. redsquid2

Aug 31, 2011
    Thank you, Eric.

I took about 3/16" off the back end of this one. I do these unusual patterns from time to time. The challenge is good, because it builds character, right?

IMG_3821[1].jpg