1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

TP Fire

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by Nordic Viking, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Nordic Viking

Nordic Viking

Sep 18, 2000
    Today we went into the forest for a walk and I decided to test my new Barkie. Well one thing lead to another and the outcome was an impromptu fire for the kids' amusement.

1 BRKT HS
    1 Swedish Firesteel
    1 Scavenged piece of Toilet Paper (used or unused, hard to tell :eek: )
    Some branches of Birch

Thanks for looking.

2. shotgunner11

shotgunner11

Dec 17, 2005
    Thats good stuff, I have a strange feeling your joking.

Ya know whats weird NV, I always pictured you older and chubbier.

3. Nordic Viking

Nordic Viking

Sep 18, 2000
    LOL, I'm the father in the pictures :D

4. 2dogs

2dogs

Apr 20, 2003
    Cool! If I did that right now 100,000 acres would go up in flames. Very dry today, no green in sight except for the leaves on the trees. BTW is Johnny Cash popular in Sweden?

5. RubberJohnny

RubberJohnny

Mar 11, 2006
    Sweet! I wanna visit Sweden someday. It seems like a paradise for outdoorsmen and pictures I've seen are absolutley breathtaking.

P.S. Are blonde hair and blue eyes very common in Sweden or is that just another stereotype (if it's not a stereotype I'd fit right in :) )

6. mewolf1

mewolf1 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Not too bad a voice there NV, not Mr Cash,but not bad.
    Have you cut an albumn yet?:D

7. Kevin the grey

Kevin the grey

Aug 26, 2005
    TP fires can be avoided by eating less chili . L:O:L

I have to strike my firesteel very hard to get any sparks . What do you think I am doing wrong ?

8. Temper

Temper

Oct 30, 2002
    How sharp is the edge of the 'striker' you are using? Carbon will spark better than Stainless, but a good sharp 90 degree spine on a stainless will throw plenty of sparks.

This is the same knife as NV

[​IMG]

9. keluangus

keluangus

Jul 11, 2006
    You know, considering how well the toilet paper lit up - it was probably used. Same reason why cow and camel patties are relied upon all over the world as fuel for fires....hehehe

10. Chuck289

Chuck289

Mar 23, 2006
    HAHAHA! I was cracking up at the end. That was great! :D

11. laurens

laurens

Apr 28, 2006
    Try giving the spine of your knife sharper edges and experiment with the angle.If you using the provided striker i did notice the one on my scout model went dull after a while. Temper i honestly believe its a myth that carbon will strike better sparks than stainless it just depends how sharp the spine is, my fallkniven f1 for example can strike sparks that skate across the floor and its 420/vg10 laminate.(with 420 doing the actual scraping)

12. Nordic Viking

Nordic Viking

Sep 18, 2000
    He's well known, but not as popular as ABBA or Ace of Base though.

That's just a stereotype, we have grey-haired / blue-eyed people too :)

The song is performed by Joaquin Phoenix (from the movie) and he sings pretty damn well, IMO

13. Nordic Viking

Nordic Viking

Sep 18, 2000
    What you welding there Temper? :D

14. Rat Finkenstein

Rat Finkenstein Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2005
    I loved the ending. :D

15. korbiaka

korbiaka

Jan 19, 2006
    That was great. :thumbup:

16. Temper

Temper

Oct 30, 2002
    Not arguing with you as I use an A1 myself and its like a firework show. But then I have a S30V and an A2 knife with similar spines and the A2 (in the picture) obviously does a great job. The S30V even though it feels sharper than the A2 knife's spine is pretty pathetic. Hmmm

17. jamesraykenney

jamesraykenney

Apr 9, 2004
    It is not exactly a myth...

Carbon steel is needed for flint and steel...
    With your fire-steel, it is the fire-steel that is producing the sparks...
    In flint and steel, it is the steel that is flaking off and burning...
    I have never seen stainless steel be able to do that...

18. laurens

laurens

Apr 28, 2006
    That’s right I think to strike sparks with traditional flint and steel from the spine of your knife it needs to be carbon steel as far as I know (I’ve not actually managed to do it with the spine of the knife, I guess it wasn't tempered the same way as a traditional fire striker).Temper I can’t think why the A2 should strike better sparks from a firesteel than knife made from S30V ,perhaps the rhc hardness has something to do with it, or the knife made from a2 has a handle that allows you to bear down harder on the firesteel.I :confused: